• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Yoshi Matchup Chart (W.I.P)

Dreambeatz

Smash Rookie
This is a Yoshi Matchup Chart for Smash Ultimate in my opinion. Feel free to comment any general tips or feedback if you would like.

Saxonius

Smash Rookie
Why would you be at a disadvantage against richter and simon, you can rush them down and cover all their options.

I also don't see why cloud would be troublesome at all. Also I think the only chars yoshi is in disadvantage against are the fast swordies.

Ostro

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7252-9309-8314
This is a Yoshi Matchup Chart for Smash Ultimate in my opinion.
Cloud isn't overwhelming like he was in 4, we get rewarded a lot more for winning neutra this timel. Plus, his hitboxes aren't as gigantic. Yoshi vs Cloud will probably play out more like the Ike matchup. They can really threaten Yoshi with wide swings but they're just slow enough to be really scared of getting hit with a combo starter.

Idk why you put Diddy down as a disadvantage, you'll have to explain that one. He dies faster and kills later without really getting anything to compensate.

Young Link has been a huge problem for me. Yoshi doesn't get rewarded enough for getting through YL's projectiles since his sword attacks have extremely good frame data.

We can open up the four Marths with egg toss, but they otherwise win neutral so hard that I think we're still at a disadvantage with all of them.

Yoshi shreds the Belmonts up close, and it's not even all that hard to get in. Just don't let them set up under a platform.

Also I think the only chars yoshi is in disadvantage against are the fast swordies.
Chrom can be a huge issue, but I think our iframes on Fsmash should help a lot. I've already been nailing a few aethers at the ledge.

Last edited:

Saxonius

Smash Rookie
Cloud isn't overwhelming like he was in 4, we get rewarded a lot more for winning neutra this timel. Plus, his hitboxes aren't as gigantic. Yoshi vs Cloud will probably play out more like the Ike matchup. They can really threaten Yoshi with wide swings but they're just slow enough to be really scared of getting hit with a combo starter.

Idk why you put Diddy down as a disadvantage, you'll have to explain that one. He dies faster and kills later without really getting anything to compensate.

Young Link has been a huge problem for me. Yoshi doesn't get rewarded enough for getting through YL's projectiles since his sword attacks have extremely good frame data.

We can open up the four Marths with egg toss, but they otherwise win neutral so hard that I think we're still at a disadvantage with all of them.

Yoshi shreds the Belmonts up close, and it's not even all that hard to get in. Just don't let them set up under a platform.

Chrom can be a huge issue, but I think our iframes on Fsmash should help a lot. I've already been nailing a few aethers at the ledge.
thanks for the tips I got absolutely trashed by a rob 3x times online (2 different players) any tips? I feel like I don't get enough out of getting in since he can just grab me, cant be too far cant be too close what a stupid mathcup.

USAnyan

Smash Cadet
Well there’s the Marth-esque characters as disadvantages because of just how many attacks they eat up with their giant range.

Is it just me or palutena kinda an disadvantage too? Maybe I’m just basing this on my quickplay experiences. Staff attacks out ranges Yoshi more often than not and she has so many anti air attacks on a fairly aerial based character.

Not really sure why Diddy and Simon are in disadvantage tho, Diddy feels pretty even. And Simon loses to pure aggression and edge guarding, so I’d say it’d be even

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I think Falcon is advantageous, we destroy him in the air and he can't really approach on the ground due to out air game stuffing that too.
Olimar is even, get that into your head I won't say it again.
Wario might be advantage, I just feel like its like brawl dedede syndrome where yoshi can shrug off most of wario's options in the air and yoshi can kill him easier than wario can kill yoshi.
Swordies are disadvantage, self explanatory
Shulk and Ike are however even, due to their trashy speed.
Palutena is awkward but I think its advantage, much like belmonts we destroy her up close.
DK is advantage, he's a bigg, we're not. We have amazing air game, his is slow bar bair.

Saxonius

Smash Rookie
I think Falcon is advantageous, we destroy him in the air and he can't really approach on the ground due to out air game stuffing that too.
Olimar is even, get that into your head I won't say it again.
Wario might be advantage, I just feel like its like brawl dedede syndrome where yoshi can shrug off most of wario's options in the air and yoshi can kill him easier than wario can kill yoshi.
Swordies are disadvantage, self explanatory
Shulk and Ike are however even, due to their trashy speed.
Palutena is awkward but I think its advantage, much like belmonts we destroy her up close.
DK is advantage, he's a bigg, we're not. We have amazing air game, his is slow bar bair.
what can you tell me about zss?
I feel like that matchup is definitely on ZSS side.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
We beat her in the air, she legit can't do anything to us aside from nair spacing.
I don't think that's very accurate. If ZSS is trying to challenge Yoshi in the air she's playing the MU very wrong. She doesn't need to do that, she has a much easier time than most characters in the game to land and reset neutral against Yoshi because she's just really quick and has a multitude of options, and neutral is a lot harder now in this MU since since SH airdodge isn't useful anymore and it's much harder to punish her mid range pressuring stuff, specially side B which can get your stock at 110%.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I don't think that's very accurate. If ZSS is trying to challenge Yoshi in the air she's playing the MU very wrong. She doesn't need to do that, she has a much easier time than most characters in the game to land and reset neutral against Yoshi because she's just really quick and has a multitude of options, and neutral is a lot harder now in this MU since since SH airdodge isn't useful anymore and it's much harder to punish her mid range pressuring stuff, specially side B which can get your stock at 110%.
nope its accurate

NotMegaMan

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sickspinda
Idk how I feel about Shulk in advantageous. Maybe it's just my playstyle, but I've had some fair issues against shulk. His arts, when used right, cover almost everything we have. I'd say we are even in the air and lose on the ground.

I get pummeled by him because of his range and jump/speed powers, when you avoid one power, you are cornered then he can chase you with the other, but this time he is much closer.

skreekers1

Smash Rookie
I feel like this chart needs some strong changes i palutena, pit are both negitive ike also was strong tools against yoshi and is atleast even simon/ ritcher is hard but isnt bad yoshi losing the neutral but combos and gimps them well ridley has very strong legde traps against yoshi and i feel as if its atleast even, and i think yoshi beats villager, isabel, ryu and ken i ld love to see how it peoples thoughts change as the meta advances though

D

Deleted member

Yoshi is Ness's worst nightmare and everyone on my Ness match up chart thread seems to agree.

Gingey2454

Smash Rookie
lucina in my opinion is yoshi worst matchup because she unlike marth when you get in she can swat you away and her disjoint can hit eggs out of the air

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Yoshi is Ness's worst nightmare and everyone on my Ness match up chart thread seems to agree.
Ive had a lot of time to think about this MU and while I still think Ness may lose it, it's not a huge disadvantage imo. Ness has to play lame and paitent against Yoshi which a lot of Ness players don't like doing, Ness players generally prefer to play aggro but Yoshi wins against aggro Ness. I think if Ness plays lame and paitent it's close enough to even

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
I think Shulk is actually Yoshi’s worst matchup. He is fast, his sword is huge which makes it that much harder for Yoshi to close in on him, and on top of that, the mondo arts just make Shulk so much more difficult to deal with for Yoshi. At least Lucina doesn’t have any power boosts and her range is not as long as Shulk’s. It just feels like Yoshi is at a huge disadvantage on every level against Shulk.

Top Bottom