• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate- Quantity over Quality?

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
I have said this before: I am not a fan of Melee. In fact, the Smash game I like the most is Smash Wii U, with each new installment being liked more and more. And by the time Ultimate comes out, I want it to be my favorite (especially since the Switch is my most used system now). These problems will prevent that from being the case.

I am aware that there are other fighting games that do have what I’m asking for. Problem is, those won’t be the games every friend and relative will want to play with me. Accessibility, a competitive community and appealing characters are the lifeblood of any fighting game. There does exist a fighting game with characters from Umihara Kawase, my favorite video game series (and there’s a new one coming to Switch! Yay!) However, getting good at it wouldn’t benefit me much if nobody wanted to match me, especially locally. Not only will people excpect me to bring Smash, they will be disappointed if it’s not the new one.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Imagine if there were a new Marvel vs Capcom game that had Richter and The Flash as DLC and they were the best characters so every online and tournament match would have them. How DUMB would that be? It would send the subtle message that you better become a fan of DC and Konami because they're better companies that make stronger characters.

Although Nintendo makes loads of money, the total amount of money made by mobile companies (in Japan, who most Japanese games are made for nearly exclusively aside from Nintendo) vastly outmatches the amount of money Nintendo makes in Japan. Certain big titles, such as The Granblue Fantasy, have made a fortune and there's been comparatively much less resistance from Japanese (and Asian in general) audiences when it comes to those sorts of games with appealingly designed things to unlock. The Spirits smacks of something made for the benefit of Eastern audiences as a small, uninvolving series of mini-activities they'll have time for during bus or train rides.

Also, the people telling me how much better Ultimate is than every other smash game- have you played it yet? I don't see how it's fair for you to tell me to "wait until the game comes out" if you are praising the game before it comes out. Are we only allowed to praise games before they come out, then open up criticism once they do? When Super Smash Bros. Ultimater comes out on the Uber Duper Switch in 2025, are we going to be trashing Ultimate and hyping it up? I'll be interested in checking by then. I have a feeling Ultimate will be showered with perfect review scores and nothing but praise... for the first few months before people lose interest or things get ugly. Just like what happened with Brawl.
we can't judge before we play but you can complain ?

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
The Quality of Smash is better than most series even when at it's low point of Brawl. The matches themselves and the gameplay has always been super tight. Maybe not the most balanced, but for how large the character roster is the team does an amazing job. And at least Ultimate is adding ALL the veterans. Recent big fighting games like Tekken and SC have made cuts to the roster and they already have a fraction of the characters of past Smash games. Ultimate looks to be a very polished Smash game. We don't know the extent of the single player offerings yet other than what was shown. Your posts TC kinda come across as whining from what Ive read so far, just saying.

Top Bottom