• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Summit 2: The Case For Professor Pro

As Smash Summit 2 heads into its voting phase, players will be voting with their wallets for which six players will be invited to attend the event alongside those ten already invited. Smashboards is giving the opportunity to all those involved to come here and make the case for why they should make it in. Professor Pro is among the two players from Europe available to vote for. At the time of writing he is in 9th place which will eventually lead to his elimination. So why does he deserve to be in Smash Summit 2? Here is the case for Professor Pro.

Across The Pond

Professor Pro has been playing competitively for quite some time but was held back from improvement by one major factor. "I've been technically been playing competitively Melee for about 9 years. But I was that guy that every region has, who is known for never EVER traveling and I stayed in London for pretty much 7 years which as much as I love my home city, isn't the best practice."

His rapid improvement began at BEAST 4, two years ago, and he still has crystal clear memories of the event. "I FINALLY decided to leave my country for literally the first time in my life and went to BEAST 4 in Sweden. I pretty much mark this event as the day I actually got into high level smash. My first European tournament I was in Leffen's pool to give people an idea of how much I've improved in 2 years of playing in this environment AND that tournament I went to was the first tournament Leffen beat Armada to put it more into perspective."

With him slowly beginning to travel, he began to slowly improve being first recognized for his Project M play moving in Melee until he made his major mark on the world in 2015. "I think my biggest breakout moment was at Paragon LA when Hungrybox beat me in PM and then I beat him in Melee," he explained. "Loads of people came up to me and said, 'He beat you in your game and you beat him in his' but I've literally never seen it that way, because I've always been a Melee player first."

Professor Pro vs Hungrybox (Melee) | Professor Pro vs Hungrybox (Project M)
|
Professor Pro vs Hungrybox Paragon LA 2015

Even though he has begun traveling, the environment he has to train in has brought about issues for him as a player. "I think my biggest weakness is never being pushed in Melee in the region which I'm from, which reverts me back to this very careless mindset, which then throws me off when I actually play good people, which is bad," he told us. "I need to literally play for like 2/3 days in that environment to switch it off. It's really hard in a region where you are the strongest by far and the strongest players in your region (Fuzzyness and Vanity Angel) don't even play that much. Every single time I come to USA, and I actually switch that mindset off, I really find myself taking in knowledge, improving and just gaining a better sense of everything in Smash and I love it."

Which players is he most looking forward to fighting if he makes it to Smash Summit 2? "Of the players which are already invited, I think I could solidly take Shroomed, Plup, SFAT and Silent Wolf. I'm pretty good at mentally collecting information so with a lot of the other players I think I would need to sit down with them for a while to gauge how I would do. Of the uninvited players and also including how I'm improving, I feel I could take all of them and PewPewU and Hax would be the hardest out of all of them for me."

His final words for those to convince them he deserves the votes? "From watching the previous Summit it's an event which personality and performance are both important and being the only British guy who's running for this I know I can make it interesting for the viewership from both areas. So if you want to see nationality diversity with a UK player and a British accent on the couch with a technical and explosive player who always has something to bring, prove and will definitely bring personality, you should definitely vote for me!"

---​

Want to see Professor Pro at Smash Summit 2? Voting for the first phase ends March 4th at 3PM PDT so be sure to go vote for his entry into the Smash Summit. Agree or disagree with his case to join the event? Tell us in the comments below and don't forget to stay tuned to Smashboards as other stars make their case to enter Smash Summit

Comments

I want to see Professor Pro at Smash Summit as well. He is one of those widely respected players after all. I'd be disappointed if my idols werent there.

Top Bottom