• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Sins

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
Nothing wrong with being a scrub. How good you are at a video game means nothing in life.
As Dylan stated there is a huge, enormously huge difference between a noob and a scrub.
People need to realise this!

Just playing the game for fun and enjoyment, not caring for improvement is absolutly fine, everybody does this.

Blaming a loss against someone on some imaginary ruleset, you formed in your head, is just plain stupid and ********.
It's a bad mindset, but it's so damn easy and tempting to blame your loss on some self-proclaimed rules.
This easiness is the sole reason so many scrubs exist.

Last edited:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I guess that the only thing that I don't really like people doing is when people switch to Fox after I beat them in the first game. Ok, maybe they just legitimately wanna use Fox, but I think a lot of the time people just do it cuz they're salty that a Robin beat them and know that Robin sucks at handling Fox on an Omega stage. It's like they're basically saying to me "I'm less skilled than you and can't beat you normally so I'll just use a character that ****s on yours".

Though maybe picking a character with a good matchup versus yours is a normal thing for people to do?

But it's really not a big deal to me, do whatcha want. The stuff in the OP doesn't matter to me really.
Counterpicking is pretty common. I wouldn't let it get to you. And kudos on maining a lower tier.

s00pahFr0g

Smash Rookie
As Dylan stated there is a huge, enormously huge difference between a noob and a scrub.
People need to realise this!

Just playing the game for fun and enjoyment, not caring for improvement is absolutly fine, everybody does this.

Blaming a loss against someone on some imaginary ruleset, you formed in your head, is just plain stupid and ********.
It's a bad mindset, but it's so damn easy and tempting to blame your loss on some self-proclaimed rules.
This easiness is the sole reason so many scrubs exist.
It is stupid but it's not wrong and going off on someone because they have that mentality is just as stupid.

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
Everything is wrong with being a scrub. It's like being forced to play video games with your little brother who can't jump over a hadouken and cries about it.

there is NOTHING wrong with being a noob, or even sucking at the game. The point is to play to win, and to lose with grace. Making up excuses for why you lost or what goes against your invisible ruleset is really unnaceptable.
THIS I can get behind. Your clarification makes me see where you're coming from a little better. I agree in a competitive setting that all bets are off, and if your opponent is "spamming" or "over-rolling" well then you just need to deal with it. In a tournament you do whatever it takes to win, and no johns.

However, this doesn't mean that this thread doesn't have a point. Many of the "sins" listed here have nothing to do with a competition setting or legitimately are just a **** move when playing against someone you don't know (1,3,4,6,8 in OP). To make this thread some sort of evidence of their being a "scrub" problem in the Smash community is a little ridiculous.

Furthermore, your first post really made you sound like a little ****.

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
But it's what I do. *Charges DBZ type attack*
Everybody rise there hands to give Goku your energie!

To make this thread some sort of evidence of their being a "scrub" problem in the Smash community is a little ridiculous.
Dylan and my thoughts on this seems maybe a bit out of proportion, but you can't deny that scrubby replies have risen since the release of Smash 4.

s00pahFr0g

Smash Rookie
There are people with that mentality in just about every game. Smash 4 probably brought more people to the scene, which is primarily a positive thing, and with the increase in players you're gonna get more with the negative attitude.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
1. I don't taunt at all during a match. Taunt greetings at the start of match? Depends on who I play as.

2. Really, I just break out my combos on someone and try not to get punished for it.

3. I don't SD at all. If the player SD'd on purpose or an accident, I won't do it for them just to make it even.

4. I only use the game tag to put my name on it but do expect some positive words of wisdom when I'm about to leave.

5. I don't run, I keep fighting especially when I play as my main Rosalina without Luma. I'm not one of those Rosa players who runs away from a fight for 13 seconds waiting for another Luma to pop up.

6. Toying is something I don't do unless the player I'm fighting against gets really hasty and keeps doing way too many punishable moves I can exploit.

7. Grabbing them or charging up a smash attack is the best way to avoid counters, though grabbing them is a lot safer.

8. Honestly, I don't know what "teabagging" is.

Nah

Smash Champion
8. Honestly, I don't know what "teabagging" is.
It's basically when a guy puts his balls on a person's face. People have been doing it for years in games, originally in shooters, by crouching (multiple times) on a player's corpse since it kinda looks the same. When people do it in Smash they generally just crouch repeatedly in rapid succession after a kill.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
It's basically when a guy puts his balls on a person's face. People have been doing it for years in games, originally in shooters, by crouching (multiple times) on a player's corpse since it kinda looks the same. When people do it in Smash they generally just crouch repeatedly in rapid succession after a kill.
Oh, that. Now that's definitely something I don't do at all. I don't taunt nor crouch multiple times after a kill. I just wait until the player respawns.

Nice Nah avatar, by the way.

Last edited:

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
There's only one true "smash sin" in my opinion.

Pausing just before you lose your last stock and quitting the match.

This had happened to me so many times in tournaments and I think its so disrespectful to not let the winner see the victory screen.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
I always wait for my opponent to ready up incase after I beat them they attempt to start crap. And oh ho ho my luck turned out great yesterday.

- FG beat someone 2 stock pretty ez

- Opponent changes tags:
"KEEP RUNNIN'" (I don't even think I was running away... except for accidental Tatsu's)
"NOOB"
"(EXPLETIVE)"

- Opponent readies up for next fight (Mistake buddy)

- Change my tags so they can see while I take my time:
"LOLSOMAD"
"NOT WORTH"
"MY TIME"

- Leave room before CSS timer (Yes, LEAVE. I beat someone 3-0 then they did this and I lost the last one due to SD... oh the humiliation I received afterwards!)

I think I'm a pretty nice guy, and I like to say things like LOL GG OOPS URGOOD! in chat and enjoy playing good friendly players. This is a sin however because while I may never start fires, I pour gasoline on existing ones.

Or maybe he/she didn't even see my tags... sure hope he/she did...

Edit: Oh and yes, this has happened more than once... and it pleases me greatly...

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
The game is about hitting the other guy off the stage. If he taunts and you can hit him, it's his fault. Don't be a scrub.

If it works, why stop doing it. Stop being a scrub. I'll use Street fighter as an example. If all you do is block, all I will do is throw. Play to win

Why do you care? If they SD, you win.

Cry me a river.

Punish his rolls then.

Nothing wrong with this. I like to use falcon's dair until people ragequit. Ever since smash 64.

Sounds like you have 1000000 johns and pre-set mentalities to justify losing or being salty. You are a complete and utter scrub in the very definition of the term. Not a noob, not a bad player, just a horrible scrub. Very surprised you didn't use the word "Cheap"

You know what's a SIN in smash brothers? Your mentality.
I wish I had a gif of Gilbert Godfreid going "WHAT AN ASS HOLE!" Can someone do that for me?
As for sins, Sonic. Using Sonic is a sin. If you use Sonic, you must repent for your horrible deeds. Also, if you don't taunt before a mirror match, you're not a true Smasher. And finally, if you don't as Jigglypuff, you are not a true Jigglypuff main.

Last edited:

3bubby

Smash Rookie
@ Dylan_Tnga Dylan_Tnga

read the original post again my darling. "Here are some [things] I try not to do"
no one is actually going to hell for playing the game a certain way...

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I have a bad tendency to taunt immediately any time I get a KO, unless I have something better to be doing like charging a storeable Special. And sometimes even then….

Edit: If I'm playing Kirby and still have a Copy Ability, I sometimes "teabag" for the sake of the extremely annoying noise his crouch makes when repeated ad infinitum.

Last edited:

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
I always hate it when you accidently fall of the stage and die, and they taunt. Like if you use a recovery and go the wrong way or something from jumping into the air. (Getting knocked off first is different) They didn't do anything to get that K.O., so it seems just so annoying when they taunt

ahannoush4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Drazzle
I use :4ness:/:4lucas: ... hate when I die due to PKT + lag , but then to add to it my opponent spams their taunt although he/she is well aware of their horrible connection.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
1. Taunt Punish: I consider it a cheap shot to attack an opponent while they are taunting. I've seen opponents respectfully veer off their attack and hop away to avoid attacking during a taunt, but I've also seen opponents charge in for a small boost of damage. Be the former!
*EDIT: How you use the taunt matters, of course. The taunt I mean is the pre-game salute. When someone hits you during a greeting-taunt, SAIN.

2. Rinse Repeat: It's always easy to break an opponents pattern, but too often I'm stuck in disbelief that a character will repeat a combo to win. There are over 1400 moves in this game to enjoy, so using a maximum of six at all times is a little silly. OR VERY SINFULLLLLLL.

3. SD for the Game: Play to the end! Hopping off the edge isn't fun for anyone! (Leveling the stocks is a different story)

4. Trash Tag (For Glory): Trash talking, but through the tags during a For Glory match.

5. Roll, don't run: I saw a Sonic, the fastest character, do nothing but rolls to move across a flat stage. SIN.

6. Prolonged Toying: Treating your opponent with respect fosters good sportsmanship and a decent reputation for the community. Don't overdo the teasing, juggling, trapping moves when they aren't needed. That being said, a little styling is fine. Practice makes perfect, after all.

7. Counters: Super Smash Diner. They have nothing but counters to offer. Of course, grab 'em, squeeze 'em.

8. Teabagging: Consider the tone of the match. Is teabagging going to be received well? No? SUN.

I'd love to hear other ideas for Smash Sins!
1. I will never punish anyone for taunting at the start... Unless is trying to copy me for the sake of seeing how n00b I am. But I will if someone dares to taunt in my face as it takes my stock.
2. I obviously agree. I even use Ness' Up-Throw!
3. If it's lagging, I will SD for my honor.
4. If my opponent is a sucker, I will post "LOL!!!!", "HowMature!", "GetSome!:D" and "SKILL" (if my opponent says I'm lucky)... Otherwise, not.
5. I will just wait for the Down Smash once the guy rolls in my direction.
6. Sorry, styling is my playstyle!
7. Totally agree with you.
8. If my opponent teabags me, I will do it... Otherwise, I agree! I actually crouch once as Kirby once I've taken a stock, but it's just because I find it to be funny!

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I guess that the only thing that I don't really like people doing is when people switch to Fox after I beat them in the first game. Ok, maybe they just legitimately wanna use Fox, but I think a lot of the time people just do it cuz they're salty that a Robin beat them and know that Robin sucks at handling Fox on an Omega stage. It's like they're basically saying to me "I'm less skilled than you and can't beat you normally so I'll just use a character that ****s on yours".

Though maybe picking a character with a good matchup versus yours is a normal thing for people to do?

But it's really not a big deal to me, do whatcha want. The stuff in the OP doesn't matter to me really.
Happens to me when i play Ganon too...but they switch to Falcon all the time...i guess people just love the Falcon vs Ganon match...

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Everybody rise there hands to give Goku your energie!

Dylan and my thoughts on this seems maybe a bit out of proportion, but you can't deny that scrubby replies have risen since the release of Smash 4.
You know smash and gears of war have so much in common its something i noticed...
Both are games i enjoy alot multiplayer wise
Both are games that are for some reason very personal and have alot of salty players compared to other games.

Both games have a game that was super comeptetive and people praise to no end
Melee and Gears 1
Then both got a Sequal that sucked ass hard.
Gears 2 and Brawl
Then both got a game thats really good for both casuals and competetive but more so for casuals and is like sort of a fast simple game...not to techincal...for casuals to get into but fast and fluent to keep the hardcore ppl at bay and added some new features to attract more people.

Smash4 and Gears 3.

I love both and when im playing Xbox Gears is pretty much the only game i play and Smash is the only WiiU game i got and play well i have MK8 but yh...

Seriously Gears and Smash to me are have alot in common in terms of development and stuff how the games turned out etc.

Apart from ofc one is a bloody gorey shooter and the other a whacky allstar party game.

Top Bottom