• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Smash Run Tier List?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
So! Smash Run's the newest game mode for Smash 3DS. It's super fun from what I've seen, so my first question is: Where will each character rank if there was a "Smash Run Tier List"??

Please, be kind and make sure all of your posts are well thought out!

To start, I'll go ahead and predict a few of the best characters for Smash Run.

-Little Mac! :4littlemac:He's fast, strong, and with a few "Agility" and "Special" boosts, he'd be unstoppable! A rank

-Pac-Man! :4pacman: Great recoveries to prevent falling off the stage, plus a decent amount of agility and strength, and pretty awesome special attacks! A rank

-Toon Link! :4tlink: If you watch the Nintendo Treehouse for Smash Bros 3DS, You'll see the guy play as Toon Link. He absolutely wrecked 'em! S rank

-Kirby! :4kirby: Has the potential to excel in every stat possible! Has good grabs, special attacks, recovering abilities! S rank

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I couldn't kill 1 Lakitu as Megaman, I don't think he'll do very well.

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
I think Greninja might be pretty good, especially with his Dair to bounce off enemies

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
At this point, it's hard to conceive a tier list, since we do not have an official copy of the game to play.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Characters who are fast and have good zoning are whom I think will have the easiest time in Smash Run.

Ignorance

Smash Rookie
A tier-list for a game mode for a game that hasn't been released. Seems legit. :idea:

L9L

Smash Cadet
NNID
sirshyguy
3DS FC
4596-9684-9176
Character speed will definitely be an important factor. I think Greninja, Sheik, and Fox all have strong potential.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Rosalina and Luma could dominate in the right hands, and The Sonic Show proves that Sonic will be a huge treat in Smash Run

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Thats like saying if there was a tier list for Brawl's Subspace Emissary.

..... was there?

I remember during the Great Maze I'd always use Marth, MK, G&W, and Fox. They always seemed to get the most done the fastest.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
A tier-list for a game mode for a game that hasn't been released. Seems legit. :idea:
There's nothing wrong with a little light-hearted speculation. Besides, we know what it entails enough to make solid inferences.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Smash Run seems to be a casual game mode, so I'm not sure about a tier list if each character can hold his/her own against the hazards that exist.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Well, Smash Run is going to probably be pretty casual due to all of the random, unpredictable elements. As such, I doubt anyone would really care to develop a deeply thought out, meaningful tier list. That said, even if no one speculates on it, the fact remains that some characters will be better than others.

I predict that characters who have good speed (like Sonic) or can grab items well (Rosalina, if her gravity pull works on the Smash Run Power-ups) will have a noticeable advantage over others, including those who might otherwise be top tier in 1v1. Arguments can be made for characters who can kill the basic enemies fast, which probably means racking up a lot of damage quickly. Extreme jumping/recovery range (like with Zelda's Up+B) may also be a factor, since they'll let you cover a lot of distance.

As for the Treehouse demo: I don't think that's a good indication of which character is good. He was playing against CPUs, and may have been playing on a low difficulty level.

In the end it probably doesn't matter which character is better unless a competitive scene can be made out of it, unless you just want to grind Smash Runs over and over for some reason. You do get rewards for that, after all.

Petrichor

Smash Apprentice
One line from the Treehouse Demo that stayed with me is that bigger, heavier characters can carry more items into the maze. And as we saw during his runs, items are extremely useful for clearing challenges and picking up lots of upgrades early. The fact that bigger, heavier characters and smaller, faster characters will have very different advantages in the maze makes it hard to determine which group will fare better. Until the game comes out, we won't know which advantage will pay off more.

The fact that the mode is inherently random doesn't help. Players could end up running into enemies that their characters aren't good at dealing with, or ones that they are good at dealing with. Compounding all this is the fact that the nature of the challenge at the end is also random. Depending on the match at the end, certain characters may have a better base to build on.

All in all I think it's a bit too early to be thinking about tier lists for a mode that hardly anyone (outside of the dev team) has played for very long or in great depth.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Smash Run seems to be a casual game mode, so I'm not sure about a tier list if each character can hold his/her own against the hazards that exist.
Technically the Smash Bros games as a whole are casual games, yet some players made it competitive (banning a lot of stuff in order to do so).

Something similar could happen with the Smash Run mode. Maybe.

D

Deleted member

Technically the Smash Bros games as a whole are casual games, yet some players made it competitive (banning a lot of stuff in order to do so).

My thoughts exactly. A Smash Run tier list is interesting, but would it pay off? Hmm..

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

I don't know if this ever caught on on Smashboards, but over on AiB there was an entire sub-community dedicated entirely to Home Run Contest, Break the Targets, etc. high score competitions, and it gained so much steam that the admin programmed a widget for profiles to enter high scores and compete with other players in the community.

I could certainly see Smash Run having a similar community associated with it, if it's indeed as deep and fun as we're all expecting it to be. At that point, an unofficial "tier list" could come about, in which everybody knows certain characters are way better than others, much like how some characters are naturally better at Home Run Contest, and everybody knows it.

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
Guys, Guys. This is just For Fun. :awesome:

But seriously, none of this is or will be official, it's simply speculation on who you think will be the best character for Smash Run. Smash Run probably wont ever get competitive and stay casual, but since it is a more unique game mode than Home Run Contest or Break the Targets, different characters actually means A LOT.

With that said, I'd like to add that because I've watched the Nintendo Treehouse again, I've decided that King Dedede :4dedede: and Bowser :4bowser: Will be some of the best characters for this mode. Sakurai has said that bigger characters get more items, so they'll power up much easier. The reason I leave out DK :4dk:is that he doesn't excel in speed (for big characters that is) like Bowser, or excel in jump like King Dedede. Not to mention, King Dedede and Bowser are stronger I believe.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
:4littlemac:Probably won't be all that good, actually. If you learn where the enemies are and can send him after the enemies on the ground, He can do well. But I've noticed a lot of airborne enemies and Mac just ain't no good there so I don't think he'd be a top pick for Smash Run.

Right now my bets are on the Fire Emblem roster of :4marth::4myfriends::4lucina::4robinm::4robinf: all being strong contenders for a top spot, depending on their own strengths and weaknesses once the game comes out and we learn about them.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I couldn't kill 1 Lakitu as Megaman, I don't think he'll do very well.
From experience, you will have trouble killing enemies very early one. I played as Sonic and it took me forever to take out one guy in the beginning. As you power up, it gets easier (I still avoided Staffos). That is why the Treehouse guys recommend blowing your powers early one since you'll get the power ups you need later on.

Also, keep in mind big characters can carry more stuff.

Sen. Sawft

Professional Laundry Folder
NNID
Sawft
3DS FC
4940-6793-4197
...Am I the only guy that really hopes that Smash Run gets some kind of competitive scene?

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
...Am I the only guy that really hopes that Smash Run gets some kind of competitive scene?
I'd love this, but I struggle to see it happening given the heavily random and unpredictable nature of the drops and final showdown at the end. :p It'd definitely be a neat thing to include within standard tournaments, though. Like an exhibition match. :p

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I can't remember which Nintendo Treehouse video it was but I remember when they were talking about the equipable powers/items they said something about how the size of your character depends on how many powers you can carry so characters like Bowser, Charizard and DK might be high tier because they'd be able to power up really early with all the right stuff.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff is going to be terrible in Smash Run just as she was in SSE. In clusters of enemies she can get killed easily, plus she lacks range and power.

I think I'll stick with Pac-Man for this mode.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Tier List in a game mode that is all about raising your character. You don't even control the power ups enemies give you. This is like giving a tier list to item matches when the items that fall to the stage are all random.

but uh i see sonic pretty high up there.

Last edited:

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
I think it'd be fun and awesome to see that. Mostly because it's different from the normal smash tournament stuff with lives and/or time. Smash run is a new way to enjoy a good game series, so I definitely want to support whatever competitive scene there is for it. We'll make it happen ourselves! *Growling*

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Smash Run deserves it's own online scene, at least. Because quite frankly, I know I will focus on the Wii U version when it comes to regular Smash, once it releases, and a lot of other people will too (specifically professional tournaments). Smash Run is something only the 3DS version has, so people would do well to give it attention. I'll certainly get involved if others will.

It has a ton of depth, and a strategy is a big factor (knowing the map, customising your character with moves, equipment, items, and powers). However, skill is still a HUGE factor. You need to be good enough to handle the enemies thrown at you, and you need to be able to control a character that is changing stats in a dynamic fashion, and of course, you need to be skilled enough to perform in all of the events, since your stats may not always net you an easy win in the chosen event. Also, building up your stats is sort of a speedrunning effort as is.

The random elements of Smash Run are there to make it more in depth and encourage improvisation, rather than to cause chaos like items do in regular Smash. It's perfectly suited for competitive play. City Trial worked just fine for serious competition (it may not have developed into a e-sport but it still was very in depth). Kid Icarus: Uprising also has customisation and randomness involved in it's multiplayer, yet it has a scene.

The traditional Smash scene has the problem of being so controlled. It works for Melee and Project M, due to the highly technical nature of their gameplay and all of the exploits discovered. It made Brawl boring in comparison though, because Brawl had little things like tripping that got in the way and while they were fun when randomness was encouraged, it just got in the way when people were trying to remove random elements.

While I think Smash 4 will be fine for controlled competition (though I do think customisation should be allowed in most tournaments as part of this, since it's not a random element anyway), I think Smash Run deserves it's own scene that encourages improvisation and strategy.

As far as tiers go though...I just know Sonic is gonna be good for it, at least the dungeon section anyway, that much is certain. :p

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Please don't bump threads.

Status