• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Smash Run discussion

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Smash Run is definitely a home run for me as far as a really fun mode you can play for hours. I didn't see anything dedicated just to discussing it so I decided to make a thread.

I have a pretty OP Bowser right now. He has a bunch of things to boost his speed and it's just not even fair for anyone.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Somewhat contrary to what I assume would be everyone's first instinct, I've found the most success simply ignoring a lot of the big enemies and snapping up opportunistic kills, or preying on groups of weaker enemies. Too often the big enemies are surrounded by a lot of smaller ones that love to interrupt your attacks and generally tack on extra damage, keeping you tied up to get hit by the big one's stronger moves. I suppose this is what the powers are for, although I have absolutely no idea how much damage any of them do. (Or how much HP the enemies have, for that matter.) I imagine that different enemies will be easier/harder for specific characters, so that sort of knowledge will play a big part in efficiently getting things done.

According to the ingame tips I've seen, elemental weaknesses and resistances are in effect for some enemies. Polar Bears, for instance, are allegedly weak to fire and flinch away from it when normally they have constant super armor. And some enemies have weak spots, although it's tricky matching names to enemies without a picture guide.

In general the mode gets easier as you rack up the boosts, so it's probably best to use your powers as you need early on instead of saving them for later. That said, it's probably a good idea to keep health recovery available as a last resort.

Lastly, there does seem to be a fair amount of luck involved regarding where you spawn, what enemies decided to harass you, and what sort of challenges you get behind the doors. It's easy to just have a run of bad luck and fail to amass any boosts of note.

Last edited:

Renanri

Smash Cadet
NNID
RuriAri
3DS FC
1049-1229-2048
I absolutely love it... So much customization, extremely fun world to explore, fun final battles. I just wish that it was online... :4fox:
*Still crossing my fingers for a future Smash Run online patch in*

Renegand

Smash Cadet
I wish I could pick the end game, because the horizontal race to the finish with obstacles, where you can knock each other out, 100% the best mode, MAKES the game for me, playing that with 3 other people outside the local gamestop sold that mode to me

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I was kinda getting bored with the game until I started playing Smash Run. I like how there are no difficulty settings and very little way of controlling the outcome, because then you can just go along for the ride and be surprised at how it ends. The guy saying the big enemies are not worth it, yeah I think it's best just to try to enter as many of those doors as possible, because in the doors there's usually easier challenges and big bonus potential. This is just initial impressions, I played it for the last 3 hours.

Also even though there is a lot of luck involved you can put some thought into avoiding how much luck plays into it. So far there seems to be an OK balance of stuff to do, there's not even enough time to do as much as you can in every area. One of the bonuses lets you warp somewhere else for free, for example. You don't get to pick but it usually places you somewhere better than where you started.

Sera Smash

Smash Rookie
As a competitive player I expected to hate smash run... it's AMAZING! I love it so much and I just found out you can bring items into it LOL. My GSP is over 1m atm without items. Beware...

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
I'm loving smash run. The customization options really are vital for making yourself viable in the early parts of smash run to start getting power ups. Once you do that, you have to try and take out at least more difficult enemies around the 3 minute mark. On really good runs, I have all my bombs when I go up against them and can just spam it to finish them without taking a ton of damage.

I;m also getting a lot better at not dying. Auto recover is the other vital item I always take. That recover will keep you from dying and losing a ton of stat points you've collected.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Smash Run is pretty fun. I'm trying to beat it once as everyone and I'm unlocking lots of cool goodies and having fun. The best strategy I have is to max out the Speed of my characters and then just run through the maze searching for chests and challenges. It's not a good way to win, but it's a good way to get lots of custom pieces.

I personally love all the funny names and equipment everyone has and I love trying to envision them wearing everything. Currently, Robin somehow has two Stylish Boots and one Expensive Boots on... Maybe she's wearing two Expensive ones to show off and then is carrying the two Stylish pairs around her neck, tied together like a necklace by the shoelaces, as a fashion statement.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
I knew I would love smash run from the beginning, but I didn't realize how great it really was. There are so many enemies and so many references. Nothing feels better than finding a huge group of enemies and using a Horizon Beam Lv4.

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
I´m a long time competitive Jigglypuff player. I have mixed opinions about smash run.
I find it boring to play myself, but I find it really fun to play with my son.

But when I´m playing alone, then I only play for glory online.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I´m a long time competitive Jigglypuff player. I have mixed opinions about smash run.
I find it boring to play myself, but I find it really fun to play with my son.

But when I´m playing alone, then I only play for glory online.
I played a round with Jiggs and I was disappointed that sleep and sing didn't hit the enemies at all. So there's two worthless moves.

Weavile's Wrath

Smash Apprentice
Can we talk about enemies? Some are ridiculously easy while others are ludicrously hard. For example, Mimicuties and Bonkers are the two hardest enemies in my opinion. The Giant Goombas give too many powers for how easy they are to beat(jump on their head four times).

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
I LOVE it, but do have one question: When you're done and it tallies your boosts, there's a divider on each attribute; what does that mean?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Smash Run would be a lot more fun if it supported online play :( I wish Nintendo would "patch" it allowing online play, but that is never going to happen :c

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Smash Run would be a lot more fun if it supported online play :( I wish Nintendo would "patch" it allowing online play, but that is never going to happen :c
The idea is that it can't do online because that huge space would be too laggy. I don't know why they don't have the Smash Run part offline and then it goes online once the Run is over for the final challenge.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
I'll also say now after playing a good few hours: Smash Run is much better for grinding special moves on. I managed to grind out all of Megaman's moves in about an hour. Not bad at all in my opinion.

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
So... Anyone know what those Gold/Silver/Bronze trophy base looking things are for? Are they just a way of collecting coins directly?

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
This is actually my favorite part of the game. I was really surprised by how much I love it. It's a really great change of pace from regular Smash.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
So... Anyone know what those Gold/Silver/Bronze trophy base looking things are for? Are they just a way of collecting coins directly?
Yep, they're coins.

I'll also say now after playing a good few hours: Smash Run is much better for grinding special moves on. I managed to grind out all of Megaman's moves in about an hour. Not bad at all in my opinion.
And I'm sure that you got a bunch of other custom moves for other fighters, so all of your time spent on Megaman will also cut down on the time needed to be spent when getting other characters!

Marxally

Smash Apprentice
I don't really like it, it might be fun, but I think 5 min of "kill everytingh, survive and collect ****" is not worth to get a "final fight". For me is boring and I will just play it to collect trophies, equipment and things like that, but well, maybe I will change my mind in a few days, I dunno, maybe I should give it time.

Personally I preffer classic or all-stars. :D

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Been wasting 3 hours one go into Smash Run yesterday. Ore Club Lvl.4 + Evershield combined with Health Shield has me stay alive for longest times. Bowser Jr. is also really good to speed through the places with his Clown Kart Dash (goes on for well 3 minutes, wow)

I find a nice time waster and change of pace to Smashing indeed.

Peterawr

Smash Cadet
WHY IS THERE NO ONLINE FOR THIS MODE.
That is my one complaint for this.

Aside from that, I love it.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I get tired of it in smaller groups, but there is nothing better than a 4-player Smash Run round.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Weird glitch playing as Ike. One of those laser monsters shot me into a top right corner as Ike and the laser never stopped firing. I just stayed there stuck the remainder of the 4 minutes lol.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I really want this mode to be well received so it can return in future installments. That way they can polish people's complaints about it and expand it with new enemies/maybe make the map more like the franchises represented/several maps/more final battle types/make it easier to level a single stat (Like some enemies only drop a single stat, etc.)/more types of rooms, etc.

Hartenberg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hartenberg
3DS FC
1220-8573-2488
The mode is fun, but it's a lot better with friends on local wireless. People are saying that one of the cons is that it's too random, but I actually think that's a pro. You never have the same experience twice, and that the main reason I continue to play it.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I know I can get a perfect run of the mode (All stats maxed) if I play long enough. The closest I got was all but one stat maxed (Which was at 676) using Ike, which yielded an endscore of around 240K.

The large enemies are the key to getting a high score. Just have to build your character in a way that'll let you take them down in seconds, and get lucky with the enemy selection for the round, since it's entirely possible to simply not have any large enemies appear. Also, if you see a point doubler, don't pick it up until a large enemy spawns or unless you can tell that there's a battle area nearby (Indicated by a total lack of chests or enemies on a platform).

Last edited:
Top Bottom