• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash rookie

CIQ

Smash Rookie
So i started training for compettive smash monday i practice 7 hours a day so far i got l cancels and shffl bair down with shiek. I know its going to take time rome wasnt built in a day but how do i get my wave dash frame perfect consistently. Like i can do it max 6 times without messing up but then i just mess up its either not perfect or i end up full hoping. Have footage btw if that helps thanks for any advice

Rocket-Bot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rocketbot21
If you have the 20XX training pack, you can set an overlay color for maximum wavedash length. So when you see that color of overlay, you know you got the wavedash maxed.

And you don't need to wavedash that often, you really only need it for spacing, if you can get it a few times consistently. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

CIQ

Smash Rookie
If you have the 20XX training pack, you can set an overlay color for maximum wavedash length. So when you see that color of overlay, you know you got the wavedash maxed.

And you don't need to wavedash that often, you really only need it for spacing, if you can get it a few times consistently. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Cool thank you any major techs besides D.i that i should work on other then shffl l cancel and wavedashing?

Rocket-Bot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rocketbot21
Cool thank you any major techs besides D.i that i should work on other then shffl l cancel and wavedashing?
It depends on the character you're trying to main, from the looks of it, it's Shiek. But I guess in general out of shield options like OOS Upsmash, OOS wavedash, and I guess for shiek OOS short hop fair? Jump cancel grabs are a pretty good tech to practice as well.

If you want more advice for Shiek or something you can check out her boards, so you can learn things like match ups and neutral game as Shiek.

Hoped I helped

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
When I wavedash, I either do it perfectly or full hop with Jiggs. I don't put in the extra effort to input a short hop everytime I jump for a wavedash. With characters with short jumpsqsht frames like Fox and Sheik short hopping everytime is a hassle, plus my hands aren't fast enough. Just get wavedashing down and you won't jump at all when you don't want to.

Last edited:

CIQ

Smash Rookie
It depends on the character you're trying to main, from the looks of it, it's Shiek. But I guess in general out of shield options like OOS Upsmash, OOS wavedash, and I guess for shiek OOS short hop fair? Jump cancel grabs are a pretty good tech to practice as well.

If you want more advice for Shiek or something you can check out her boards, so you can learn things like match ups and neutral game as Shiek.

Hoped I helped
Thanks im going to put that in my training regime

CIQ

Smash Rookie
When I wavedash, I either do it perfectly or full hop. I don't put in the extra effort to make sure I'm short hopping when wavedashing and my hands aren't quick enough for characters like Fox and Sheik. Just get wavedashing down and you won't full hop or even do any jump for that matter.
Thats the thing that bugs me i will do like 6 frame perfect wave dash then maybe like 2 regular wave dash then ill full hop or something.i thought i had the timing down what do i do just keep practicing ? I dont want my fingers to get used to bad timing

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
If you full hop when trying to wavedash, then you're pressing L/R too early and not the first frame you're jumpsquat ends. You could even be a frame off. Keep practicing frame perfect ones. I personally don't do multiple wavedashes rapidly because I might slip up and jump or air dodge too late which ruins my spacing or setup.

Last edited:

dvatch

Smash Cadet
Disagree. It's a great thing to strive for.
Yeahh I guess youre right. I think I just imagined CIQ wavedashing for all 7 hours of his practice. Its definitely fine to practice perfect wavedashes, but nobody should try for hours at a time. If CIQ practices other stuff in between wavedash practice, I take back what I said.

CIQ

Smash Rookie
Yeahh I guess youre right. I think I just imagined CIQ wavedashing for all 7 hours of his practice. Its definitely fine to practice perfect wavedashes, but nobody should try for hours at a time. If CIQ practices other stuff in between wavedash practice, I take back what I said.
No i just dont practice wave dash lmaoo i think id get bored and quit i alternate. From like 100 l cancels ( probably more ) too a bunch of wave dashes too shhfling, too basic combos strings. Currently working on usmash oos and wave dashing oos. Btw wave dashing got better wouldnt say its frame perfect every time but i have more control and csn apply it in a real match ( friendlys with my friend even though he isnt the best :( lmaoo )

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Steady improvement my guy. Eventually you won't have to think twice about doing tech in real sets.

Hadou

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hadou20XX
Very true, I think your practice sessions are already good enough. Just keep at it and everything should come into place eventually. You really have to be dedicated, I've found out lol. Even playing like every other day still isnt even enough

CIQ

Smash Rookie
Very true, I think your practice sessions are already good enough. Just keep at it and everything should come into place eventually. You really have to be dedicated, I've found out lol. Even playing like every other day still isnt even enough
I feel like in only 6 days i learned alot. I plan to keep practicing like this every day until i have basic tech down pack . then ill move on to what i need to learn next

Top Bottom