• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash revival part 13: The untouchable peak

allshort17

Smash Ace
Link to original post: [drupal=5229]Smash revival part 13: The untouchable peak[/drupal]

Last week's blog: http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=139369

It's funny, but the better I've gotten I've realized how much work and effort it takes to truly be great and how far away I really am. But, the irony is in the fact that I also realized I have all the available tools to get there and can easily make it there with time. With players, there tends to be a spectrum of emotions on getting to the top. On one end there, "Wow! I can never be as good as that player." And on the other it's "I'm already the best!" Both mindsets are wrong. As a player, it's harmful for growth to believe you can never make it, but just as bad to believe you're already there. It's time to get a grasp on where you truly are.

"Wow! I can never be as good as that player."

I see this with players who truly want to be great, but become down when they just aren't getting the results they want. They practice and train, yet it just doesn't work out. They start to believe they don't have the true potential to get to the highest level. In my opinion, potential is not a matter of have it or not, but more so the ability to unlock it or not. Potential is unlimited for everyone. We all have the same amount, but the problem arises when you take into account human flaws and traits. Even though we all have the same potential, someone with one hand, for example, will have a tougher time getting to it compared to someone with two hands. This applies to things like transportation, activity of your area, and age. These are pretty much just johns. Instead of looking for something to help you improve, you equate your lack of success to something else. Admittedly, there are problems that people will have that they will never get around, like having a disease. But, instead of looking as that as the reason you'll never be good, just work around it. It will be hard and you will have to do more work that the people around you, but if you really want it you can get there. I hear people use their age as an excuse, but look at Nario. He's 15. That's younger than me. Yet he's easily considered top 10, probably top 5 in the nation. He was to only player to beat Nietono at Apex and the highest placing North American player. Sure, he may be naturally talented. But, he probably put in the same amount of time training as the older players. Even though he can't travel very far, age is but a number and just dedication can compensate for that. The same applies for you too.

Most of these players also haven't been playing enough to get to the top. They've been playing competitively for a year or 2. But, most of the top players have been playing for year before they got to where they are. 5 to 6 year is the average. Rome wasn't built in a day. Just realize you've made strides in your progress that you made. Remember when you thought Ike was the best player in the game and your personal tier list was based around final smash attack? Even gaining a little bit of knowledge about competitive play is an accomplishment. So, take pride in that and just know that with a little more time you will be at the top too.

"I'm already the best!"

These players probably haven't played too many people. They take too much pride in their wins, as miniscule as they may be. Things like being the best in an easier area, doing good on Wifi, or take a set or even a game off of a notable player feeds their ego. They also tend to talk down to other players they feel are worse than them. If you are one of these people, understand that you probably haven't done much. Going good on Wifi or in a small area such as your school isn't really big. And even though you may have beat someone decent offline, that doesn't compare to the loses you've suffered. They brush off lose with the mindset that they are better. These players really need to expand their horizon. If you are dominating in your area, go bigger. Go to a different part of your state or even out of state. You're bound to see higher quality and understand how small you really are. This also may mean a player becomes content with there "accomplishments." Everyone has room to grow, even the best. So, if you are at the top then push yourself to go farther. Train harder, beat more people and destroy them even more, and discover new things about the game. You're probably not as good as you think and being content means you'll just stagnate in skill, not reaching the level you could truly be at.

Take this moment to truly gauge where you are. If you fell like you suck, take a look at what you really have done and know that you are closer to the top than you think. If you believe you are the top, step down from your makeshift pedestal and come back to Earth. Learning how to control our emotion properly is an important concept in high level play and is a trait often under-looked. Just figure out where you truly are and watch your growth continue.

I need your help for next week. Everyone, no matter how good you are. Just private message me the reason why you play this game. The longer and more detailed the better. That will be next week's blog. So no messages, no blog. I will also pull a little from Anti's blog when he asked the same question. But, if you didn't post in it or feel like you want to say something different then message me.

Top Bottom