• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash revival part 12: Do you really want it?

allshort17

Smash Ace
Link to original post: [drupal=5219]Smash revival part 12: Do you really want it?[/drupal]

GONZALO ZERO

Last week's blog: http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=139164

He really wanted me to put his name in the blog, so I respected his request and made it the first thing.

Now that's out of the way, you just got back from your first tournament and you got wrecked. You've never felt that type of defeat and are now questioning your player ability, asking yourself, "I thought I was good. So, why did I do so poorly?" Well, what have you done to become good? I know you can learn from playing wifi and matches with your friends, but what practice have you really put into the game?

Some of you may think, "lol. Practice for Smash? It's just a video game, not my life." Football is just a game, yet the NFL contains some of the best athletes ever. Cooking's just putting food together, yet I see restaurants and restaurant owners that make more money than some small businesses. Being an architect is just drawing a house, but I want to see you design something like the Taj Majal. Any activity can be "just a ______", but when you choose to delve into the art of an activity it becomes something greater. For those who don't want to put the time in Smash, then that is perfectly fine. If the idea of putting in hours of tedious practice just for one game isn't appealing than don't. Have fun playing the game and don't fret over how good you are compared to others. It will make you playing time much more enjoyable. However, be real with yourself and admit you don't want to put in the work. Don't go around thinking you can be the best, but never sat down and practiced technical skill or analyzed a video.

For those who do want to become great, then look at your practice regimen. One mistake I made was thinking being on Smashboards and AiB was making me better. It is if you are looking for information, but I was just looking at arguments and results of tournaments. That is the equivalent of being on Facebook all day. So, that is not practice. Ask yourself, how long to you play everyday? Or watch videos ? Or talk to others about theories? How much experimentation do you do by yourself? How many of you write down ideas or just think about situations in your down time? Really. Just take a second and truly think how much you do to improve. Along with that, think about how much focus you put in too. It's good to put a lot of time in, but quality over quantity. You many play a lot, but if you don't focus on something while you are playing then you're really not learning anything and could be building bad habits. Just look and see if what you are doing is really enough to get where you want to go.

With me, I know I'm not putting enough practice to get where I want to be as fast as I want to be. I use Anki, a flashcard system, and on the flashcards I have put on technical things to do. Since I play Dedede, they range from CG's on every character, dash grab and shield cancel, all the CG follow ups (including all the air release ones on Wario and the pummel release ones on Lucas and Ness), 13 different ways to autocancel Dair, all my ledge options, standing pivot grab, getting my OOS options from hitstun, and many more. There are 125 total and I do about 10-25 a day. It takes about 5-15 minutes for one card so just guess how long it takes. I play Wifi at the wee hours of the night when I know no one else is on the internet at my house and no one is using the Tv the Wii is on. I Always set a goal when I play and ask many questions with players I feel are better than me. I save all my loses that I can and re-watch them to find holes in my play. When I'm not playing, I type many of my ideas. If I want to try something in a match-up, it's recorded. I think of something I'm don't wrong, I type it. And most everything I type is expanded on with the why's and how's it works and how I can use it to improve. I also just visualize playing sometimes. I just think of situations the best I can and try to think of as many options I can to counter it. I use this for ideas. When I run out of ideas, I watch videos of everyone. Every Dedede, good or bad, so I don't just copy one and take the best from all of them. Also, I just want other characters to see how I can use their strategies with Dedede. However, I know that is not enough. I need to play offline more, talk with more top players about my ideas, and watch videos of others and myself. Also, I need to focus on correcting my mindset more, making sure I don't think I'm entitled to a win, am not going to tunnel vision to get one move, focusing on what my opponent does, and accepting every lose and learning from it. I'm not even that good, but if you can't say that you are doing equal or more than that then how good do you think you will truly be?

Two truly inspirational and hard working players, the top Chilean MK Zero and New Jersey's resident IC and G&W main Vinnie have given me a little incite into what they do and have done to get where they are now.

Vinnie: (This is his training regimen blog: http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=136817 )

"It varies from person to person. I've dedicated thousands of hours to watching videos and playing. And I spent a lot of money on tourneys for ths first two years (didn't make money semi-consistently until 2010. Also, I never really took breaks. I also always thought of setups and matchup info in my head."
-Vinnie

Zero's is so long that I have made a separate blog with the complete Skype chat we had. Here it is: http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=139368

Unlike me, those player are at the top. Yet, they have to put in so much work get where they are, maintain their position, and improve. So, your hour of practice and Wifi friendlies with random characters doesn't look like a lot. So, seek for ways to improve how you train. Remember to focus on improving every time you practice. Constantly experiment and talk with others about you ideas. AND MAKE SURE TO GO PLAY OFFLINE AND GO TO TOURNAMENTS! It's the ultimate way to improve. If this seems daunting and you think you will never be able to get to a high level, then I will give you inspiration next week my blog entitled, "The Untouchable Peak."

Let's see how far you can push yourself!

Top Bottom