• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMASH REPS - Analysis on the Smash series in its representatives

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Representatives is a point really common in discussion and speculation on the Super Smash Bros. series over the years; People usually points the lack of certain character, which could fill certain gap in the cast; Reasons can vary: lack of villains, lack of handheld representation, lack of certain genre or specific franchise, or even notice that are Nintendo systems over there without any character originated at all!

My proposal with this thread is cover this subject; Try to make clear to everybody, at time of requesting characters using "representative" argument, which are the real holes and the gaps needing to be filled in the Super Smash Bros. games (of course, personal wishes and external factors aside); And gradually illustrating more and more situations... =)

To begin with this, we're exemplifying two common approaches: -Character per system, and Franchise per system; It's true that Smash is a celebration of Nintendo gaming story, but it's covering all this legacy by playable characters? Let's see..

~Here you can check, each system with the characters whose are originated from them, and how many are per system; (relevant notes have been added in the bottom):

~And here it's each system and the franchises originated from them:

see, in the end, we can notice that Smash, for now, lacks characters debuted on the Virtual Boy and Wii U; and no franchises started on the Game Boy Color, Virtual Boy, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS and Wii U were added to the playable cast.

as we discuss about these gaps and lack of representation, I invite everyone to suggest new kinds of analysis; It will be fun, and above all, we'll be building a database for this kind of subject; ~~And of course, I'm not an expert on every franchise and detail, this is a community project. =)

next, I plan to make charts for each IP, with all their games listed, with a check mark on the games with content in Smash; being playable characters, trophies, musics, stages, even stickers and minor mentions. (below is a preview of the concept)

I will probably change the design of this.. it's too big and with much empty space; But you get the idea. =P

So, what do you guys think? .. maybe the results of these two first it's not anything new, but it's still good to keep newbies informed and refresh everyone's mind.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why is Toon Link on the GBA and not the Game Cube?

Smash Bros places his debut as Wind Waker.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I went by his original first appearance in a Zelda game in (A Link to the Past &) Four Swords on GBA; you can see I'm also treating Dr. Mario as a different series rather than part of Super Mario as Smash does; Just to be more technical. =P

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I went by his original first appearance in a Zelda game in (A Link to the Past &) Four Swords on GBA; you can see I'm also treating Dr. Mario as a different series rather than part of Super Mario as Smash does; Just to be more technical. =P
Hm...

Came out the same year within a few days of each other.

Well I'll be.

No Wii U charcter shuh? I know just the solution

Some neat info here. Weird how few N64 characters there are but the NES and Gameboy origins make more than enough sense.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't know there was an NES Dr Mario

I only played the gameboy one

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
sorry for the late reply, guys.. I was doing something else for the thread, to fill it and take advantage of a new post. Thanks for the comments, =)

undefined
ROGER!... I'm totally down for it, you know.. if my sig is any indication. =P

And really thanks, glad it's been useful..
Yeah, I think we can blame Microsoft for the lack of N64 series on Smash; Many of the new ones at the time, and some of the most impactful on the system were from Rare. *sigh* :T .. but it's totally fine with the NES and Game Boy being the birthplace of so many fighters in the Smash story, after all, these are the most important Nintendo systems; But I think that SNES needs something more too..

I didn't know there was an NES Dr Mario

I only played the gameboy one
The GB version turned to be the popular one, since it was on the go, and everyone got addicted so fast. =P.. But personally, I prefer the NES version.

---------
So, I made some new analysis.. this time, just focusing in the current characters and their series; --Here we have listed their presences in Nintendo systems (no ARCADE or "Other" sections this time),.. this won't give detailed information of how many times the character or the IP appeared on the said console, but it says if the presence is at least existing...

for the characters I went through the specific criteria:

• Trivial re-releases aren't counted; It means no "Classic NES Series", no "New Play Control!" nor *Virtual Console (*except the cases were the game was never released on a Nintendo system, and eventually was put on the Virtual Console lineup; for instance: Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake);
  • Ports (when significantly changed), remakes, remasters and Collections were all counted;
  • Minor and meaningless cameos aren't counted (like Mega Man in the billboards in Mighty Final Fight); But some other roles as many Retro Characters appearing in the WarioWare series were all counted;
  • Playable roles in the Super Smash Bros. games were, of course, counted.

And for the individual franchises, these are the criteria:

• Once again, no trivial re-releases counted; (applying the same exception as I did in the character analysis);
  • Crossovers aren't counted; Since they are games without definition of franchise (aside being part of a external thematic, of course);
  • Ports (when significantly changed), remakes, remasters, Collections, ramification of sub-series, and SpinOFFs were all counted; Since they represents the presence ot the IPs in the system;
  • This time, no cameos or guest appearances were counted; Just games carrying the name of these franchises;

In the end, the purpose of this analysis is to put in consideration how familiar are Nintendo gamers (and Smash players) with these characters and IPs. Even though it doesn't list the amount of games appearing per system, it can be still argued their presences in the consoles.

Please, let me know what do you guys think, =)

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
When did Roy appear on the Wii?

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Well.. sticker in Brawl :urg:; I said no meaningless cameos, but I can't ignore that stickers was a big part of SSBB collectibles, even if they were no big reward.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I got some questions?

When did R.O.B. appear on the Game Boy and when did Duck Hunt appear on the Gamecube?

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I got some questions?

When did R.O.B. appear on the Game Boy and when did Duck Hunt appear on the Gamecube?
A picture of R.O.B. appeared on the Game Boy Camera; taking photos was the main point of it, so, doesn't mean a minor cameo.. And as for Duck Hunt on the GameCube, I was counting the dog and the duck(s) as the duo of playable characters, and ends that exists a trophy of Ducks in Melee; I think it's a pretty popular knowledge =).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I still say ROB is a character in gyromite even if it's not an on screen appearance

Story wise he's there

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I still say ROB is a character in gyromite even if it's not an on screen appearance

Story wise he's there
well, whatever be the case, I put a mark on the NES for R.O.B.; --it can be considered by many ways: his appearance as the physical peripheral, maybe the sign on the box arts of the compatible games, his appearance on Gyromite.. or yet, there's some allusions to him in games like StarTropics.

--btw, guys, I'll be updating the OP after we reach the second page; Right now I'm working on the individual franchise representations.. saying which are the games in each franchise that has some kind of content in Smash; --this will take a while, probably, because I want to review everything and post all of them without mistakes...aaaand I don't have the "fan" knowledge of some series... you know, those I don't have a particular interest to play or those I don't have too much affection (as for Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, although I played all the games of the latter).. but I'll do my best! After the post, of course, you can correct me anytime. =)

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace

Some neat info here. Weird how few N64 characters there are but the NES and Gameboy origins make more than enough sense.
Don't forget a certain female character from a massive game.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Perhaps you could make similar chart for big requests?

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Perhaps you could make similar chart for big requests?
I really like the idea; ~I was preparing something like this looking through popular characters during the Ballot time. Maybe when I finish with the franchises thing, I'll do something like that. (I hope to be posting the next chart sunday late).

-----EDIT [12/08]---
Sorry for the delay, guys.. but this one really was hard to research;

Well, I concluded the illustrative representation of my last analysis of Smash Bros. and the franchises participating in the crossover; ~As I already said, this refers to the content originating from each of the games of these series.. So you can point franchises which has more weight in representation within Smash Bros. games, and the others which don't; But let's first see the rules and notes:

> Are characterized a green check: Playable Characters originating from a certain title, as well characters in trophy form originating from a certain title; Designs borrowed (again, playable characters and trophies) and models directly ripped; Music (original or remixed); Stages and its elements; Alt. Colors and Skins; Mechanics and animations represented through Movesets;

> Are characterized a yellow check: small mentions trophy descriptions, or in "last and first appearance"; Stickers and mentions in Chronicles lists (Brawl); Details that are smaller parts of the animations and effects of the characters and their movesets;

> Games with gray text are those that have been (or will be) released after the last appearance of characters in the Smash Bros. series;

-- Were only included games of the Game & Watch line, where the protagonist is anonymous, thus assimilating the embodiment of Mr. Game & Watch;

-- Episodes and Updates of titles in the Final Fantasy series were not included; They are all encompassed in numbering. (of course, this specific checklist is still subject to changes);

-- Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, Conquest and Revelation are all unified by the main title.

-- Just games completely starring Miis, and not associated with another IP, were included...; As well there is a limitation in games just produced and distributed by Nintendo;

enjoy!

As usual, you should know that this doesn't points the amount of representation and content from a certain game in a specific Smash Bros. title (for instance, we can really tell just by looking that Other M is much more influential to Metroid in Smash4); but at very least, it's possible to use this chart to verify if are games lacking some kind of mention or proper homage on the Smash series in general.

Once again, if there's something wrong or inaccurate, let me know. =)

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well....

Gotta update things with :4corrin::4corrinf::4bayonetta:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Well....

Gotta update things with :4corrin::4corrinf::4bayonetta:
All updated, my friend! =D.. and I'm really happy to add Bayo on this; even though she was never on my wishlist, it's pretty cool she's part of the family now!

-- next up, I plan to do a chart of gaming genres represented in Smash; but I'm still opened to suggestions (since the Ballot Winner is already defined, doing this stuff for characters outside Smash would be a bit a pointless now).

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
All updated, my friend! =D.. and I'm really happy to add Bayo on this; even though she was never on my wishlist, it's pretty cool she's part of the family now!

-- next up, I plan to do a chart of gaming genres represented in Smash; but I'm still opened to suggestions (since the Ballot Winner is already defined, doing this stuff for characters outside Smash would be a bit a pointless now).
Pointless but fun. :p

Top Bottom