• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Smash Profile" verses "Real Life Profile"

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
For so many Smashers, it seems like people upload avatars (non-actual photos of themselves) on this site.

However for others (usually more prominent or notable Smashers), their offline identity and online identities are ubiquitous.

Personally, I tend to merge the two and have a difficult time keeping multiples "selves" separate.

For example I use my full username on this site instead of a catchy tag or something.

Is that bad?

I dunno why I'm asking it's just something I've wondered about.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
For so many Smashers, it seems like people upload avatars (non-actual photos of themselves) on this site.

However for others (usually more prominent or notable Smashers), their offline identity and online identities are ubiquitous.

Personally, I tend to merge the two and have a difficult time keeping multiples "selves" separate.

For example I use my full username on this site instead of a catchy tag or something.

Is that bad?

I dunno why I'm asking it's just something I've wondered about.
Look. It depends. My current name is my xbox name and don't get me started on how I made the name up. But it is what us smashers want. Our full name? that's ok. Our identity shared? that's ok. Our profile picture? anything we want. all our choices. for explaining why you do your profile the way it is, it's fine. your opiniion and your style! (Like it btw)

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
My IG name is COLINBG, and that's also my name on this site. I just took my first name and added my second/family name's first letters. I used this name since ever, in every video game, only because I didn't want to bother creating a new name, and still don't because now I identified myself to COLINBG.

As for my profile picture, I didn't post a picture of myself because I don't have any recent pic and don't feel like taking one, but also because I don't see the need for it. This is a forum about smash (and video games in general, to an extent), so I'm using a video game related picture (and I want Conker in smash). On websites like Facebook, for example, I use a real picture because it's more relevant.

I tend to act the same way on the Internet as I do in real life. The way I talk here is more formal than in real life, but that's mainly because english is not my first language, and because I have time to actually think about what I want to say and how I will say it. It doesn't change the fact that I'll express the same ideas, in general.

However, I think it's fun to have some sort of a ''second' self known only by the smash community. It keeps things interesting and promotes competition since you can be ''salty'' more freely. I'm not saying everyone should trash talk at any opportunity, but it does open some windows that just make everything more entertaining. Overall, it's really up to each player to choose to combine or separate the real life self and the smash self, though. There's no bad way to do it.

MVboy39

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MVboy39
3DS FC
4940-5715-0569
Look. It depends. My current name is my xbox name and don't get me started on how I made the name up.
Totally inspired by Call of Duty: World at War or Black Ops. The word elite and the number 115 indicate that.

T8TO

Smash Cadet
I guess it's just one of those things where people adapt their personality to "fit in". I know a couple of people in real life who act one way around one type of person, and another way with someone else, as if to become "cool" or desirable.

I try and be true to myself, but there are certain situations; like being around someone significantly older/younger, professional/casual, as well as serious/comedic.

I guess how drastic the change is depends on the person

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
My username is actually inspired by my favourite season, which also happens to be the crux of my surname.

I am very fond of my first name, so I'm okay with people referring to as that.

Except for the "HEEEEY IT'S YOUR COUSIN YOU WANNA GO BOWLING?" jokes.

I'm not even a guy.

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
Thanks for sharing about this.

My current profile picture is an illustration a friend did that's based upon my Xbox Live avatar. He did a great job I think!

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
My alias is the first syllable of my first name "Dev." Nothing special really. My avatar is a funny thing that happened in Tomodachi Life and I managed to get a really funny snap of it. I don't want to get into the competitive scene as a physical human being on camera because I have scopophodia (fear of being stared at) to a degree where I can stand people looking at me because I take martial arts but not to the degree of approx. 1,567 people watching me play Smash and criticizing me. I just stick to embarrassing people on For Glory.

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
My tag is a old name a good friend of mine used to call me way back.

SurrealBrain

Smash Cadet
My profile name came from the fact that I consider myself weird in the head. Came up with it in 2009 back when I got my Xbox 360, and I had to come up with a name.

This is what I came up with, though I didn't start significantly using it until 2013. Name kinda stuck since then, with the only differences being a different TV Tropes username (which I won't disclose) and intentionally misspelling this one when it won't let me use the "right" spelling for whatever reason.

My avatar is a fanart of Amitie I found. She's the best! Funny thing is, it wasn't until 2015 I found a character to be cozy with for long...now I just change it to different images of Amitie. I know, I'm crazy.

I refuse to disclose my real identity, though; I'm kinda terrified for my privacy.

Last edited:

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
It gets really bad when you made your first username at 12... And then you still use it...
*flashbacks to theblargbla@gmail.com*
But then you make a new one 2 years later. *sudoi*
But then you think it's stupid so you finally make a good one *Kaisogen*

Well, time to wait another couple years.

Also, ayyy David. Remember me? I helped you with the USB loading PML3.6 stuff.

Last edited:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Internet presence and real life is totally separate, it's how I was raised. :p

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
You been raised wrong. Lol
OHMYGOD IS IT A REAL LIFE FOX????!!!11

My username is actually inspired by my favourite season, which also happens to be the crux of my surname.

I'm not even a guy.
Also, hello Roman

Last edited:

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
My OG Smashboards account would've been matched my profile for just about everything else online if it weren't for a spelling error. Other than that, I've come up with different names for Smashboards accounts. Don't know why, I guess this place is deserving of some creativity on my end.

Shiida

Smash Apprentice
i don't know i use my first name + middle name for some sites but then on others i use this one, it depends on how i'm feeling
most of my online friends use my first name though

D

Deleted member

I'm not even a guy.
sick name srsly ^^

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I don't use my name because I don't consider it interesting enough for it to be an username.
I don't use my face because I'd rather use pictures of not mai waifu.

That's basically why. It's just a matter of preference, really.

Galm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AnEvilLemon
I think of it like fashion. You design your profile the way you'd like it to be. Besides, words tell people a lot more than you're appearance.

Last edited:

Kritzkrieg

Smash Cadet
I don't use my real name because I hate it so much that I've started to give myself a different name
Profile is the I AM ERROR Guy, just because I like his presence.

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
It's just not that common to use your real name on a forum. You don't get that sense of anonymity. There's nothing wrong though, it's nice to see that the people we are talking to on the net are actually people.

Top Bottom