• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Organization in College

OverLade

Smash Hero
So I've been looking for a consistent way to host tournaments in College at USF, and it seems that If I was able to make a "smash bros. club" then this would be simple. I'm not too gung-ho for starting up a club just to host tournaments and it could always be possible to find somewhere else to host.

I'm wondering if UCF/UNF/FIA etc have such "clubs" that they use to make smashing around easier. FIU seems to have a very legit scene going on but I'd like to know the specifics.

If all goes well, I'll definetly be hosting Monthly tournaments in Tampa AT LEAST. There could be weeklys, brawl and melee or other shenanigans.

Anyway, Input would be really nice, any ideas/opinions/experiences with this?

nevershootme

Smash Master
So I've been looking for a consistent way to host tournaments in College at USF, and it seems that If I was able to make a "smash bros. club" then this would be simple. I'm not too gung-ho for starting up a club just to host tournaments and it could always be possible to find somewhere else to host.

I'm wondering if UCF/UNF/FIA etc have such "clubs" that they use to make smashing around easier. FIU seems to have a very legit scene going on but I'd like to know the specifics.

If all goes well, I'll definetly be hosting Monthly tournaments in Tampa AT LEAST. There could be weeklys, brawl and melee or other shenanigans.

Anyway, Input would be really nice, any ideas/opinions/experiences with this?
FIU I've worked with the school itself, no club needed. using the game room, i told them i wanted to run a tourney, all they wanted was door fees and they'll sort the pot (and i establish the rules to them), and they'll provide tv's for me.

UCF has been effy cuz of regulations of doing cash tournies constituted as gambling, but there's a gaming club on campus though and could sponsor a player to go OOS using student government funds. club was established because there were dedicated people. currently me and gallax are working on a separate club, but i have a backup plan ready which gurantees me to run fests on campus (renting rooms for free)

Gmoney at UNF hosts his stuff at his dorm mostly

-look at your student union center or w/e. see if there's a game room

OverLade

Smash Hero
There doesn't seem to be a game room on Campus anywhere. Overkill LAN center hosts its own events in a spacious venue, but unfortunately they're against competitive gaming. Otherwise they'd be our equivalent of Gigabits. So I'm hoping setting up a smash club will work just well enough to host tourneys. I don't know if they'll be able to provide TV's etc.. however.

nevershootme

Smash Master
even if you attempt to do so, you need 10 or more people to sign your planned petition, plus create a constitution. u also gotta mindgame the student government to letting u do it, can't just say i wanna host tournaments. there's gotta be a purpose to what the club is to do FOR the school. I will always bring up the following example, the anime club. also, you need a professor who can sponsor you in doing it, mostly they'll just not care unless they're picky

to get TV's from the school, u gotta make requests to the AV department in doing so.

feel free to talk to me on aim for your game plan and i'll give u advice

Top Bottom