• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash... on the PC?

NekoNoBaka13

Smash Rookie
One of my non-smash friends told me, "I can't wait until they get a gamecube emulator." That got me thinking. What if in five years, smash can be played with PC controls?

It would be much more accessible to many more players. It's not inconceivable for SSBM to go online either. SSBB is online, after all.

But how would the control scheme work???????? :confused:

Lets start with movement. I think we can all agree that the mouse cannot possibly be used. The keypad is an obvious choice to replace the control stick. But how can you distinguish walking and running? Hold down "." with direction to run? Double press a button to run? Perhaps even use different keys entirely? (4 and 6 to walk left/right, 1 and 3 to run?)

What about the A and B buttons? Should we stay loyal to the GC, and just have two buttons that work together with directional buttons? Should we take advantage of the keyboard's enormous number of keys, and have different directional HIT buttons (like C-stick), in addition to directional movement buttons? It would certainly make it easier to SHFFL on the PC (especially u-air), but at the same time it would be more complex with more buttons to control.

It would be easy to create customizable controls, so one control set need not be superior to others. But what control scheme would YOU go for? And how do you think PC controls overall would compare to GC controls? Would PC controls make it easier to learn to play smash, or harder? Would it be easier or harder to master advanced tactics?

The mind boggles... O_o;

Adi

Smash Lord
Yeah I believe a gamecube emulator already exists but you need a ridiculous computer to play anything on it. However, in the future we will probably be able to play it online, using kaillera or some other server.

pdk

Smash Lord
GC emulators already exist, don't waste your time on them though

Top Bottom