• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash on a Casual Level will be More Popular than Ever...

JUr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JorgeUr
3DS FC
4957-3388-8097
It's certainly impressive how some extreme generalizations make those threads a repetitive chain of circular responses, in particular the 'Melee=Competititve, Brawl=Casual' or the polarization of 'Casual player vs Competitive player'...

Personally I think that the Smash scene is richer than these extremes and there are many opinions in this same thread that clearly show that, for example, the fact that Brawl has a competitive scene, the fun in playing with items or #BANNED! stages, the joy of being a 'mixed player', etc...

And perhaps the most important of all is the fact that every competitive player always begin like a casual player, always, it's just a matter of dedication and preparation but without forget the fun that motivates to play a great game...

Sparklepower

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Overfired
There are three types of Players

Casual= Items on,Any Stage, gets his friends over for a all-nighter

Competitive= Items off FD/Battlefield/Any other balanced stage,competes in Tournaments

Mixed= Does both

I would say being a mixed player is the funnest
I'm not sure it's quite so binary. I think the amount of people who never turn items on for any reason ever is a very small minority. Citation needed, but I'm sure even the most top-level players turn items on and screw around every now and then.

As for smash 4, I have no doubt at all it will be where the casual scene is at for years to come (that being until they make another installment). I think that's fairly obvious though, as the most fun casual smash game is going to be based around which game has the most content and ways to play, as opposed to deep mechanics and tools to work with in a neutral setting. The one thing that people universally agree upon is that the new smash game should have more content, so this is to be expected.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
And perhaps the most important of all is the fact that every competitive player always begin like a casual player, always, it's just a matter of dedication and preparation but without forget the fun that motivates to play a great game...
After watching scar play at SDCC, I have a ton of doubts that he was ever a casual.

He's a guy that knows a lot of advanced stuff, and he normally adapts well to situations, BUT HE WAS NOT USING THOSE ITEMS EFFICIENTLY.

Anyone who has ever played casually with items on and made it to competitive play should be able to pick up on how to use them effectively in an instant.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
After watching scar play at SDCC, I have a ton of doubts that he was ever a casual.

He's a guy that knows a lot of advanced stuff, and he normally adapts well to situations, BUT HE WAS NOT USING THOSE ITEMS EFFICIENTLY.

Anyone who has ever played casually with items on and made it to competitive play should be able to pick up on how to use them effectively in an instant.
Actually, it's a trend I've noticed before with competitive players. Many of them do not know how to use items very effectively, probably from not having used them at all for too long. (That said, Scar did particularly badly with them, as I recall.) So it seems like many competitive players only play without items, even when playing at home or with friends for fun.

Speaking of items, though, I think it would be cool to see a "casual tournament". That is, a 1v1 environment on legal and borderline-legal stages with most items ON. I think we could see some cool stuff if competitive players worked on their skills to incorporate items as well. Things like using well-placed items drops (spring, motion-sensor bomb, gooey bomb, bouncing beam swords/ore clubs/home-run bats, etc.) to link together aerials that shouldn't be able to combo, for example.

Raijinken

Smash Master
You can say that about anything, unless you're a child prodigy. I though doing tilts were hard in 64 until I got older, because you were just trying to press buttons, you didn't necessarily have a focus or emphasized on piquing your execution.
That reminds me of the hours my cousins and I spent puzzling at Yoshi's break the targets to unlock Luigi, until we finally learned that pressing a direction and the A button AT THE SAME TIME was a thing. Single-digit-year-olds are not good at Smash in general.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Actually, it's a trend I've noticed before with competitive players. Many of them do not know how to use items very effectively, probably from not having used them at all for too long. (That said, Scar did particularly badly with them, as I recall.) So it seems like many competitive players only play without items, even when playing at home or with friends for fun.
If a player can adjust so well to situations like that in advanced competitive play, I don't understand how they wouldn't be able to grasp the concept of items in nearly an instant.

Once they learn you can grab an item with side dodging, it should've been right there that they had their priorities straight.

For all the talk of items being extremely powerful, and random to where they need to be banned, no one seemed to make it like that was true aside from the smash ball itself.

It's like watching someone miss a tech, or someone Up b'ing too late to recover to the stage. The missed opportunities hurt me just a little bit.

Speaking of items, though, I think it would be cool to see a "casual tournament". That is, a 1v1 environment on legal and borderline-legal stages with most items ON. I think we could see some cool stuff if competitive players worked on their skills to incorporate items as well. Things like using well-placed items drops (spring, motion-sensor bomb, gooey bomb, bouncing beam swords/ore clubs/home-run bats, etc.) to link together aerials that shouldn't be able to combo, for example.
Items generally will get people salty, or some bad shenanigans will happen.

It's why they got banned in the first place. I would like to see more competitive players play friendly matches with items on though.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
If a player can adjust so well to situations like that in advanced competitive play, I don't understand how they wouldn't be able to grasp the concept of items in nearly an instant.

Once they learn you can grab an item with side dodging, it should've been right there that they had their priorities straight.

For all the talk of items being extremely powerful, and random to where they need to be banned, no one seemed to make it like that was true aside from the smash ball itself.

It's like watching someone miss a tech, or someone Up b'ing too late to recover to the stage. The missed opportunities hurt me just a little bit.
Yeah, grabbing an item with an air dodge or dash attack is fairly easy. Can you grab items with a sidestep or roll? I can't say I've ever done that myself.

And yes, the missed opportunities for even basic skill with items kinda hurts me too.

Speaking of missed recoveries, that reminds me of that time Bill Trinen accidentally performed Rosalina's USpecial up and backwards instead of up and forwards and missed the ledge. So speaking of Rosalina's USpecial, I wonder if it's actually useful for anything other than recovery? Certainly it goes a long distance, so maybe it could see use for positioning on larger stages since it also has intangibility frames? I hate USpecials that are only useful as recovery moves, it feels like such a waste. (A shame Pit's USpecial can't be interrupted with an attack, and that it doesn't have a windbox on it at all. At least Lucario's Extreme Speed now has a damaging hitbox!)

Items generally will get people salty, or some bad shenanigans will happen.

It's why they got banned in the first place. I would like to see more competitive players play friendly matches with items on though.
I wasn't meaning a tournament for money. Just a tournament for bragging rights, of course. But you definitely can do some really cool stuff by using items to combo. Example: Brawl and Project M TASes. Obviously I'd never see anything THAT good from an actual person, but I have no doubt that with practice, someone coming from a competitive Melee or Project M environment could do some pretty darn cool stuff.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Smash 4 is going to be amazing casually.

Just like Brawl is now. Just like Melee still is.

Every Smash Bros. game is an awesome game to have for parties and such. Smash 4 just looks like it's going to be packed with characters, items and content, which will only help the casual field of players. Those casual players make up the vast majority of people who will play Smash Bros.

For the competitive side, I feel Smash 4 will still leave more to be desired. Melee will be the prime competitive game for all time in the series. It will be the go to if you want all the ATs, wavedashing, and strategic needs. That being said, I feel Smash 4 will still be better than Brawl competitively, and it's tournament scene will hold up much better...for both 3DS and Wii U.

So basically:

Casually: Smash 4 > Brawl = Melee = N64

Competitively: Melee > Smash 4 > N64 > Brawl

Also I won't include Project M because I haven't played much of it, and I will just count the official titles licensed by Nintendo.

...Also I win because I consider myself a mix between the two. I think I'm in a good place. Decent competitively, but will still get my ass kicked by pros, yet good enough to mop any casual.

All in all I just love the Smash Bros. series in itself and ALL of them are excellent, AAA games. Yes even Brawl.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Yo dawg like the casual level will be more popular than ever? I guess but only if u mean like that more people will have bought smash than ever before becuz most everywun that buy the game play it casually. IDK what the point of this thread is you say it like the casual community is organized or somethin.

RunawayPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NiftySSB
"Move out of my way you filthy casual!"

Well I do look forward to the increased popularity of smash with the upcoming game. Honestly though, sometimes I can't stand casuals, sometimes...
But anyways more casuals means more casuals turning to the competitive scene and that means more tourneys in my area!
I started with brawl and since I actually played brawl a really long time before I even really cared at all about melee, melee was pretty crazy for me to start, but it wasn't as overwhelming as it sounds like from some of you. It could just be that I watched a load of melee videos before even touching the game much.

Oh btw I get my friends into fighters every year lol, so maybe I could get some more of them into the competitive scene.
Last year we play injustice, this year we played brawl, now we play melee/pm, let's keep it going with sm4sh!

Last edited:
Top Bottom