• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash life after high school

A-train

Smash Rookie
NNID
southerncan
Is having a Smash life easier after high school? It's really hard to dedicate time into smash right now. I wanna get good and go to tourneys but, damn, school takes up so much time. Was smash easier to do after high school for you guys?

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I'm still in high school. It would seem like its just as hard, because after high school it'll be college or work taking up your time. You'll probably have more free time, but more responsibility as well. Going to tourneys would probably be much easier though.

the-kokiri-kid

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4356-0120-8488
If you go to college, then you'll have plenty of time as long as you manage your time and your study schedule well.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I played a lot more Smash in High School. Pretty much every single day and weekend my buddies and I would play Melee because of how much free time we had.

University was a bit tougher. My guess is that it depends on the degree that you're pursuing and how good you are at managing time. For example, I took engineering and I had to take time off for my studies (I also had to resign modship here on Smashboards due to time constraints), but someone like HungryBox can study engineering while travelling and being a world class Smasher. Either way it's definitely going to be less than how much you played during HS I would say. However, these days most University have Smash clubs that runs tournaments every week so even though you have less time to Smash I'm sure there are more events happening since the rapid growth of Melee.

When you're working then you're back to HS in terms of free time I would say. I'm an engineer now and I just work the standard 9-5 5 days a week, and I have the weekend and evenings to myself to smash or whatever else. (Hurray for no homework).

Last edited:

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
I played a **** ton of Melee in college--probably like a full time job's worth for a year or two. I found it very easy to find the time to play then. After graduating, it's been rough. I did pretty well in school too.

Haaaaadoken

Smash Cadet
I'm sure that if you manage your time well enough you can squeeze in some melee during the week. It also depends on if you plan on working as well as doing school. Just budget time effectively.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
If you manage your time well you could probably play a lot tbh.

My normal day as an undergrad I would go to class, hang out for about 4-5 hours a day, then go home study for about 3 hours a day. And use weekends as an emergency, i.e. skipped a day by accident, didn't do enough or subject was harder than you expected etc.

And during college I'd say I was pretty successful in melee, I was a top player in my area at least while I played lol

JKJ

Smash Ace
High School is difficult only because you lack freedoms, such as parents being against it, lack of a ride, lack of connections to older players who know the scene, etc. College is super easy for me (I'm a freshman now) so I've been playing more than ever, but that's largely because I insanely overloaded my High School schedule. I took 4 APs for my last two years there, balanced 5 extracurricular music groups, three clubs, and 20 hrs of work at a part time job a week. That said, College for me is much more relaxed, and I have more freedom. So, yes, for me, it's easier to devote time to smash here.

Walbytamer11

Smash Apprentice
I'm fortunate enough to have started a Smash club at my high school (in fact today was the first day). I'm also juggling numerous AP classes and other clubs/activities every day after school. I live in the middle of nowhere however so only a few times a month me and my friend group will have time to travel 20 minutes to someones house for a Smashfest. The fact that less than half of us have cars and a license are also a problem (we're 16/17).

I'm not in college yet, but I assume that the way you look at things is very much decided on your situation now. If you're like me where transportation and responsibility is holding you back, college will most likely feel like an escape. If it's time that's bothering you, then you're gonna have to manage your time more efficiently.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Highschool was like epic sandbag EZ 80+% in all courses. I played so much melee in high school lol. I would just go to my friend's place after classes and we'd play for like 3 hours before dinner time.

What it came down to and what seems to work is to have one weekly smash fest. They've always been friday nights for me. That way, you get to play at least once a week, and since it is weekly, you always know exactly when it is, so you don't need to dance around with your other plans (doesn't have to be friday if that doesn't work for you).

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Samus has above average match ups against the spacies, shouldn't that hold some significance in her placing. In addition the wealth of strong shamus's out there like Plup, Duck, and Hugs.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Samus has above average match ups against the spacies, shouldn't that hold some significance in her placing. In addition the wealth of strong shamus's out there like Plup, Duck, and Hugs.
Was this the thread you meant to post this? lol

D

Deleted member

I'm currently in High School, it's pretty rough. Having no job to pay for tournaments, having no time to constantly go to tournaments to keep up experience, weekends with family instead of Smash, etc.

And it also depends what you're going to do after High School too.

Walbytamer11

Smash Apprentice
My friends and I are trying to get one started at our school, how did that go? I'd like to know what to expect.
Hahaha, go for it! The club isn't necessarily official and the first meeting was pretty short notice but we had two setups, a few randoms showed up (certainly impressive since I live in the middle of nowhere) and overall had about 10 peeps ranging from Freshmen to Seniors. We didn't even make the club public yet (so we didn't spread the word) and we expect another 5-10 people to join in.

We only had 2 setups pfft but again, it's because of short notice. We're aiming for 5 or so next time (including a setup involving the projector with the help of splitter cables).

You just gotta know that people who play casually WILL question you why you're playing an old game, on old TV's and with a GameCube controller. For this reason we plan on taking some kind of vote to check and see if people want to replace a couple Melee setups with Brawl or something. We didn't force anyone out of a match and we provided extra controllers to be inviting. A few of my friends saw some potential in a couple of these guys and are aiming to mentor them in hopes to spread the word about the fantastic community.

Best of luck!

Top Bottom