• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash IV Data Collection Project Discussion

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Edit-------

As of now, the current model does not require time left to be introduced as a necessity. It has the possibility to be recorded and hopefully it will be in most matches, but if a certain match wasn't correctly tracked and the some information such as the time left is not remembered then it can be ignored. As of now, a match can consist of as little as 2 players using 2 characters on a certain stage with a declared victor. Everything else is currently not needed in order to record a match, this will allow TOs to input matches that might be missing certain specific information such as the exact time left or what % player 2 ended the match with but...

It is important to note that matches with various missing fields of information will be analyzed and in the end it will depend on our staff to validate matches that provide little to no more info than just the victors.

Mormon Mammoth

Smash Cadet
Provo, Utah, but I still love Austin, Texas
As of now, the current model does not require time left to be introduced as a necessity. It has the possibility to be recorded and hopefully it will be in most matches, but if a certain match wasn't correctly tracked and the some information such as the time left is not remembered then it can be ignored. As of now, a match can consist of as little as 2 players using 2 characters on a certain stage with a declared victor. Everything else is currently not needed in order to record a match, this will allow TOs to input matches that might be missing certain specific information such as the exact time left or what % player 2 ended the match with but...

It is important to note that matches with various missing fields of information will be analyzed and in the end it will depend on our staff to validate matches that provide little to no more info than just the victors.
My worry about this is response or nonresponse bias. It seems more likely that whenever a match runs particularly long or short, (whichever) people would be more likely to record the time left. This would skew results. A similar thing would happen with stock percentages.

I'm not saying it is a bad idea. I like the idea. I just want to point out any particular flaws that may result in order to correct them if possible. If not possible, then it still should be included as an entry field with the knowledge that the results may be skewed.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I understand your concern but whenever a TO inserts incomplete data it will, unavoidably, skew results. The way to minimize it is to analyze just how much data is enough or how much lost data is just too much. That is something that is being taken care of currently, to the best of our abilities, but hopefully after it gets going most TOs will decide to keep a close record of timers and stocks left. (I believe some already do).

Top Bottom