• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash is consuming too much of my time...

Corgi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Corgi-of-Time
Intervention time!

"Hi. My name is Corgi, and I'm a compulsive Sm4sher."

I find myself on YouTube for hours at a time, either watching my guilty pleasure (high level Melee), or stupid For Glory commentaries. This happens almost on a daily basis, and as much as I love Smash, I feel like I'm spending too much of my time on it. I do not aim to be a top player, only to convince myself that I'm a decent player, which at this point I've accomplished in spades.

Do any of you have techniques for getting your mind off something? I have far too much school work and job applications to go through to be stifling my free time like this.

Additionally, with the free time I do want to give to Sm4sh, I want to start playing other high level players. Hit me up at Corgi-of-Time on Wii U! Looking for experience with Link and Ganondorf's unfavorable matchups.

Corgi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Corgi-of-Time
I recognize the irony. That's like a meth addict saying "I need to get clean. Do you have a bump, though?".

Galm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AnEvilLemon
Just find something else that interests you. Reading, walks, that kind of stuff. I would also recommend calling up some friends and planning some event: party, movie, whatever kids are doing nowadays. That way, you're having fun and socializing.

Fox who?

Smash Cadet
NNID
xanhil
3DS FC
4957-6199-7845
I can relate. The best thing you can do is go and hang with people. If you have schoolwork you need to get done, make some study groups or join some. Even if your introverted, it can be a great way to concentrate on the work at hand.

Poppin

Smash Cadet
block youtube and give the wii u/3ds to ur parents to keep hold of for about a week

if in a week you still want it all back, keep it away for another week
eventually u will just get bored of the game and lose the addiction

im currently trying to get rid of somethin too

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Get more hobbies

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
Like mentioned earlier, just try picking up other hobbies. I love watching competitive Smash, but I know there are still other things I need to get done. If it's school work, then I prioritize that. If not, then I'll spend some time trying to finish up my long list of games to play or shows to watch. I'll just end up watching Smash when a tournament for S@X is on.

As for playing it, I don't do that as much as I used to, but you should be able to squeeze that in too, as long as you're careful about the amount of time you spend. I mostly just play it when I head over to a friend's house or when someone asks me to now.

Weeatt

Smash Rookie
I could make the joke and say "find a new game thats just as addictive." (for me, its P4AU) But if you really want to get your mind off the game, try moving your console into another room. (where nothing will happen to it of course.) It's worked for me a few times. Probably not the best alternative, but if it's worked for me, it must work for someone else.

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
buy fire emblem fates, you won't want to play anything else ever again

I go on a lot of walks, so that works for me when I need to just disconnect for a while, ya know?

Top Bottom