• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash is alive in Taiwan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I'm currently watching a Taiwanese smash tourney being hosted by yushako on Twitch.tv and just thought I'd post the link here. I don't know if this is the right place for it but I thought it might be worth the watch.

http://www.twitch.tv/yushako

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
HI THERE!!
It's is me, mario123007 who chat with you on twitch. Don't be surprised that I write a lot of stuff to you. I am really happy that a foreigner recognizes Taiwan online Smash Bros tournament!

please, take your time reading this:
First I would like to do is correcting your thread, no, technically, this is NOT Chinese tournament!!!!!!!! Not to mention CHINA tournament!!!!!! Look at my location on my profile page:Taiwan, a large number of Taiwanese don't like to be called Chinese, we WERE Chinese to be exact according to the complex Chinese civil war backround....alright, time to give you a bit of history class.....
After WWII, China's two parties, one China Communist Party (CCP), and Chinese Nationalist Party (Kuomintag<< Chinese vocal saying in English, KMT).Started a civil war, which party can gain control of China. In the end, CCP won, and form Peoples Republic of China(PRC), the old large chicken China as you know today. KMT however, retreated to Taiwan, reform the goverment that was the mainland China goverment before WWII, Republic of China. Hoping to fight back some day. The conflict between the PRC and ROC continued for 40 years since. So even though we are count as Chinese, but if you say Taiwan belongs to PRC that is totally WRONG!! Go check Wikipedia for further details.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So how was the live stream? They aren't that good as the one in the USA. Is Smash Bros alive in China? Obviously, NO. AND again, THIS IS NOT A LIVE STREAM FROM CHINA! This is a live stream from Taiwan, yushako. He is one of the twitch users who got the copy earlier on September 11. You got to know that it is already common that Taiwan sell many game copies earlier. Taiwan has no official Nintendo inc anymore. And most of us rather play Japanese games due to is cheap, and easy to get. So many Nintendo game, like MK8, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta, and heck even Omega Ruby & Alpha Saphirre is rumored to be leaked in Taiwan already. Taiwan is actually a big video game market, but we all play online mobile games. Smash Bros 3DS dosen't even hold a candle compare to the popular mobile online games like Tower of Saviors, a "made in Taiwan" mobile game. It is hot, even my high school teacher is a big fan of it!

-My Backround-
Well... you see, I am not a big fan of mobile online games actually. I am not a typical Taiwanese student. I been to USA when was six and stayed there for three years, so I have been a USA elementary school student for three years too. One day I been to my friends house for party, then I saw them playing Melee, this was the first time I played Smash Bros. I used Fox(I know him already cuz I played Starfox64 before), and play only using his up B, unbelieveablely, I won. And I couldn't wait to get this game.
One day, my sister bought Gamecube with Smash Bros, I was so excited and played it for the next five years until Brawls release. I turned to play Brawl in 2011, after got the red SMB Wii console.
All of my friends at school are not a big fan of Smash Bros. They know Mario but not Smash Bros. English is a big subject here in Taiwan's education. Most of my friends aren't good with English. You can say that I am the only 17 Taiwanese "hard core" - Smash Bros fan - ameteur pro.
-Question-
Glad you still have the time to read up to here for questions!
1. So what is your other Smash Bros main except Link? And good you consider you are in Smash Bros?
2. You know Chad100chad100? This person is Taiwanese! Can't believe I chatted English with this guy for so long! Man!
3.Will you join this tournament if you have chance?
4.Who is your favorite SSB4 newcomer? Me is Rosalina.

FYI:
How can you tell the if this is China ir Taiwans website? If the Chinese it used is "Traditional" Chinese like this 臺灣(Taiwan), it is eitherTaiwan or Hong Kong's website. If it is used Simple Chinese like this 台湾(Taiwan). This website is from China. I just don't understand why everyone use Simple Chinese these days. I recommended you that if you realky want to learn Chinese, kearn Traditional Chinese, not Simple Chinese.

Looking forward to see your reply!

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Wow! That's a lot of great information. Thank you for taking the time to bring a little cultural understanding to these boards. I'm sorry if I offended you with this post, but I honestly had a really good time watching that tournament.

-My Backround-
Well... you see, I am not a big fan of mobile online games actually. I am not a typical Taiwanese student. I been to USA when was six and stayed there for three years, so I have been a USA elementary school student for three years too. One day I been to my friends house for party, then I saw them playing Melee, this was the first time I played Smash Bros. I used Fox(I know him already cuz I played Starfox64 before), and play only using his up B, unbelieveablely, I won. And I couldn't wait to get this game.
One day, my sister bought Gamecube with Smash Bros, I was so excited and played it for the next five years until Brawls release. I turned to play Brawl in 2011, after got the red SMB Wii console.
All of my friends at school are not a big fan of Smash Bros. They know Mario but not Smash Bros. English is a big subject here in Taiwan's education. Most of my friends aren't good with English. You can say that I am the only 17 Taiwanese "hard core" - Smash Bros fan - ameteur pro.
-Question-
Glad you still have the time to read up to here for questions!
1. So what is your other Smash Bros main except Link? And good you consider you are in Smash Bros?
2. You know Chad100chad100? This person is Taiwanese! Can't believe I chatted English with this guy for so long! Man!
3.Will you join this tournament if you have chance?
4.Who is your favorite SSB4 newcomer? Me is Rosalina.
Looking forward to see your reply!
I started playing Smash Bros. when SSB64 came out. This was the beginning of my Link "career". I have only ever really used Link as my main. However, there is a lot more to the game than just one character so I try to keep myself comfortable using a variety of characters for casual play.

Honestly, Link isn't even my favorite character in SSB4. His style is just so easy for me to fall back on that he's still my main. In melee I played as Mewtwo and Young Link a lot. In brawl I would pick up Wario and Olimar a lot. And now I play a lot of time as Pac-Man, Bowser Jr. (Iggy to be exact), and Greninja.

I don't actually know Chad100chad100, but I think Pac-Man mains are hard to come by sometimes so I just had to cheer him on as best I could. I was also quite surprised when he responded to me in English. I know that a lot of Americans don't seem to care about other cultures but I am always blown away by how many people know at least some English. I've been to 7 different countries in Europe, and I always find people that speak English quite well. It humbles me quite a bit really, when that happens.

If I ever have a chance to enter a tournament I think I'd really enjoy that. It looks like there are guys in the tournament that use most of my favorite characters already, so maybe I can work on getting better at a new character, like Mr G&W maybe.

I actually like pretty much every newcomer but I was very excited for Pac-Man, Duck Hunt Duo, and Villager. Pac-Man, because he completes that trilogy with Mario and Sonic. Duck Hunt Dog because of how great of a job they did with ROB in Brawl. I just figured if they can turn ROB into such a cool fighter for that game then surely they can do something cool with DHD. And Villager was really exciting for me because Animal Crossing was the first game that I bought with my first pay check in High School. lol

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Wow! That's a lot of great information. Thank you for taking the time to bring a little cultural understanding to these boards. I'm sorry if I offended you with this post, but I honestly had a really good time watching that tournament.
Yeah....ya know I just played online with a friend...but the gameplay is just so laggy... is is not it sometimes freeze, the controls don't follow up that quick. "Sigh" can't believe my first online match with friends is that bad....

Hoefler

BRoomer
Yo! My wife and I are coming to Taipei today will stay for 4 days! We would love smash with some Taiwanese smashers! please message me and let know if anyone wants to play. Also, is there a Facebook group for Taiwan smash? Cheers!

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yo! My wife and I are coming to Taipei today will stay for 4 days! We would love smash with some Taiwanese smashers! please message me and let know if anyone wants to play. Also, is there a Facebook group for Taiwan smash? Cheers!
Um............sorry.I live in the southern Taiwan, Kaohsiung.
Not to my knowledge, no. There isn't a Smash bros group here in Taiwan.
And thanks for changing the thread's title, @ CostLow CostLow !

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
That's pretty cool. It's nice to know that Smash is universally popular around the world~

@ mario123007 mario123007 - Is Smash played a lot in Taiwan or is it kind of a fringe thing? I know that over here in Ireland it's usually kept to local conventions or specific parties, we don't really have any big "official" tournaments.

Last edited:

negikogok

Smash Rookie
NNID
negikogok
3DS FC
3668-8815-6202
Hm.... can anyone make a Chinese/Hong Kong/ Taiwan Smash Bros community thread here?
Well... I don't really know a lot about the player community in Taiwan or Hongkong.
But in Mainland China, the player community is not that large at all due to some reasons.
1. N64 and Gamecube are not popular or even well-known in China.
2. Most Wii users are playing only casual games. SSB is just easy to have fun but hard to advance.
So the 3DS version is like a port for more gamers in China to learn about this series because 3DS is a more well-know system, thanks to games like Monster Hunter series.
It should be growing, but not large enough yet.

jrwinterton

Smash Rookie
Hey, how you doing? I recently created a very small and mostly dead subreddit for the purpose of finding matches in Asia, in order to cut down on lag as much as possible.

I'm living in Shanghai, so maybe we could play some games, if you can stand playing with someone in the mainland.

If you're on reddit check out /r/ssbasia. It's small and dead right now, but I hope to try and build a bigger Smash community over here.

negikogok

Smash Rookie
NNID
negikogok
3DS FC
3668-8815-6202
Hey, how you doing? I recently created a very small and mostly dead subreddit for the purpose of finding matches in Asia, in order to cut down on lag as much as possible.

I'm living in Shanghai, so maybe we could play some games, if you can stand playing with someone in the mainland.

If you're on reddit check out /r/ssbasia. It's small and dead right now, but I hope to try and build a bigger Smash community over here.
nice. but unfortunately, I don't think there are many people using reddit in China.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Well... I don't really know a lot about the player community in Taiwan or Hongkong.
But in Mainland China, the player community is not that large at all due to some reasons.
1. N64 and Gamecube are not popular or even well-known in China.
2. Most Wii users are playing only casual games. SSB is just easy to have fun but hard to advance.
So the 3DS version is like a port for more gamers in China to learn about this series because 3DS is a more well-know system, thanks to games like Monster Hunter series.
It should be growing, but not large enough yet.
Nope Smash bros will never be popular, at least for the next few years. Smash bros and most of the Nintendo games aren't a hot topic to the social teenagers in Taiwan. Pokemon barely still has some fans in Taiwan, but compare to Final Fantasy, Dynasty Warriors, other PS Xbox games. And online games such as League of Legends, Smash bros doesn't even have a spotlight compare to these games in Taiwan. So again you a probably seeing the only Taiwan 17 year old user who is fluent in English, a fan of Smash bros, and who has a Smashboards account.

Last edited:

jrwinterton

Smash Rookie
nice. but unfortunately, I don't think there are many people using reddit in China.
There aren't no, which is why it is small, but I get enough Japanese streetpasses on the subway everyday to know that there's a large Japanese presence in Shanghai at least. Anyway, the sub isn't just for mainland China, it is also aimed at people in Philippines, Japan, HK, S. Korea etc. Mainly expats I imagine.

negikogok

Smash Rookie
NNID
negikogok
3DS FC
3668-8815-6202
There aren't no, which is why it is small, but I get enough Japanese streetpasses on the subway everyday to know that there's a large Japanese presence in Shanghai at least. Anyway, the sub isn't just for mainland China, it is also aimed at people in Philippines, Japan, HK, S. Korea etc. Mainly expats I imagine.
I understand that. I was in the city called Hangzhou that is only 1 hour train from Shanghai, and I can also get streetpasses. I went to Shanghai for few times, and I know that gamers in Shanghai are easier to access to the games they want to play. But it's just video game.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Hey there. It's great to hear that Smash is still a popular phenomenon in other regions of the world. I can imagine how hard it probably is to connect to other players from within a small scene.

http://smashboards.com/forums/international-community.95/: Might want to post a thread for your country here and see if anyone replies. Smashboards is a great tool to springboard awareness for your scene. ;)

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Hey there. It's great to hear that Smash is still a popular phenomenon in other regions of the world. I can imagine how hard it probably is to connect to other players from within a small scene.

http://smashboards.com/forums/international-community.95/: Might want to post a thread for your country here and see if anyone replies. Smashboards is a great tool to springboard awareness for your scene. ;)
Oh, thanks, I know Smashboards have a lot of user from all over the world but I don't have time finding one. Thanks for the thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom