• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash is a Party Brawler, not a fighting game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSAllStarsPlaya2

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
The 10 reasons why I believe this franchise is not a Fighting game, and instead a Party Brawler.

10.) There are items. Have you ever seen items in a fighting game? I don't think so.

9.) Nintendo has never made an actual fighting game, so why would Smash count as one?

8.) And if you thought about Soul Caliber, then that doesn't count.

7.) This one is VERY important...Nintendo has always been about making casual games, and this is no exception.

6.) I know a lot about Playstation All stars, and it's very similar to Smash, so it too must be a party game.

5.) You're taking a Child's game too seriously. You're just as immature as the Pokemon fanbase.

4.) It's not an Evo because it's a fighting game, it's an Evo because it received a lot of donations.

3.) Nintendo doesn't support you because it doesn't believe in you as a fighting game. Hell, even Sakuari has said that he doesn't believe in you as a true fighting game community.

2.) I rest my case. http://prntscr.com/7z2ycj

1.) Just because it has tech, doesn't mean it's a fighting game. Just look at Splatoon...

CharizardBoss

Smash Rookie
We did so much work to get to evo and you cant just discredit it with some janky logic.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
10. I have. The game is called Super Smash Brothers.

9. Yes they have, it's called Super Smash Brothers. By your logic, Capcom has never made a fighting game.

8. Why not?

7. Tell that to F-Zero.

6. I don't even think this is a point...

5. And what makes Smash a child's game?

4. Proof that it isn't a fighting game? I haven't seen any thus far.

3. Nintendo doesn't support s because Sakurai believes it should be a party game. That doesn't mean Melee is one. The more recent games have had more than half of the tech removed to shallow the gameplay so that it seems like a party game, but Melee is most definitely a serious fighting game.

2. Congratulations, you have just cited the opinion of one man. Granted, that man is important, but he just doesn't like our scene.

1. But Splatoon isn't a fighting game, it's a shooter...

Plus, the genre is a "Platform FIGHTER".

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
How am I troll when I've brought up so many well thought out points? I bet you can't even counter them.
I mean for one you just joined to start this topic. Picked a name that you obviously thought would be inflammatory, and made a bunch of "points" that are mostly just antagonistic opinions. There's really no point in discussing this further.

PSAllStarsPlaya2

Smash Rookie
10. I have. The game is called Super Smash Brothers.

9. Yes they have, it's called Super Smash Brothers. By your logic, Capcom has never made a fighting game.

8. Why not?

7. Tell that to F-Zero.

6. I don't even think this is a point...

5. And what makes Smash a child's game?

4. Proof that it isn't a fighting game? I haven't seen any thus far.

3. Nintendo doesn't support s because Sakurai believes it should be a party game. That doesn't mean Melee is one. The more recent games have had more than half of the tech removed to shallow the gameplay so that it seems like a party game, but Melee is most definitely a serious fighting game.

2. Congratulations, you have just cited the opinion of one man. Granted, that man is important, but he just doesn't like our scene.

1. But Splatoon isn't a fighting game, it's a shooter...

Plus, the genre is a "Platform FIGHTER".
10.) Smash isn't a fighting game, as I've clearly stated above.

9.) Capcom created the "Fighting game" genre.

8.) Because Nintendo didn't create the game, they just gave the rights to Link.

7.) Since when has F-Zero been competitive?

6.) Your number 9 is even worse than that, so you're really one to talk.

5.) It has Mario and all the kiddie characters that Nintendo likes to mooch off of.

4.) I have been stating nothing but proof. You're just blind thinking that your children's game is fit for competitive play.

3.) He doesn't believe it, he KNOWS it's a party game.

2.) It's not that he doesn't like your scene, it's that he knows that your game is not fit for competitive play. The man I just sited knows this game better than you or I.

1.) You didn't get the comparison, Splatoon is not a competitive shooter, but it has tech.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Oh geez I'm disappointed in you guys. Why are you wasting time on this troll?

PSAllStarsPlaya2

Smash Rookie
I mean for one you just joined to start this topic. Picked a name that you obviously thought would be inflammatory, and made a bunch of "points" that are mostly just antagonistic opinions. There's really no point in discussing this further.
I play Playstation Allstars, though it is not as a competitive game, just like Smash. And yeah, I joined because I'm sick of your community, thinking their game is such a good fighting game, when it's not even a fighting game.

You're right, there's nothing to discuss, Smash is not a fighting game, SO STOP PRETENDING IT IS ONE!!!!

PSAllStarsPlaya2

Smash Rookie
Oh geez I'm disappointed in you guys. Why are you wasting time on this troll?
I love how you assume I'm a troll, when I bring up so many valid points. Your community can't even prove that it's a fighting game, so you write me off as a troll, so you don't have to deal with me.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
10.) Smash isn't a fighting game, as I've clearly stated above.

9.) Capcom created the "Fighting game" genre.

8.) Because Nintendo didn't create the game, they just gave the rights to Link.

7.) Since when has F-Zero been competitive?

6.) Your number 9 is even worse than that, so you're really one to talk.

5.) It has Mario and all the kiddie characters that Nintendo likes to mooch off of.

4.) I have been stating nothing but proof. You're just blind thinking that your children's game is fit for competitive play.

3.) He doesn't believe it, he KNOWS it's a party game.

2.) It's not that he doesn't like your scene, it's that he knows that your game is not fit for competitive play. The man I just sited knows this game better than you or I.

1.) You didn't get the comparison, Splatoon is not a competitive shooter, but it has tech.
10. And you still haven't proven to me that it isn't.

9. Agreed, but whenever Street Fighter came out, it wouldn't have been a fighting game by your description because at the time, Capcom "didn't make fighting games"

8. I was thinking about using SC in another example, but I wouldn't just cite SC using a Nintendo character as a reason an unrelated game is a fighter or not.

7. Your phraseology is about "casual", not "non-competitive" in the original point. Anyways, if you want to change the wording to "competitive", then every company needs a first.

6. I just proved it as a point...

5. Who says Captain Falcon, Falco, and Samus are kiddie characters?

4. You have been stating nothing but opinion. You just can't get your head out of your rear end and see the competitive nature of this game.

3. He didn't say anything about Melee being non-competitive, he made titles after Melee less complex and competitive because he wanted it to be a party game. Thank goodness we don't have patching for the GC or else it wouldn't be competitive.

2. But he doesn't know better than hundreds of thousands of people who play this game competitively.

1. And every fighting game has tech, yet they are competitive. Your point?

Basically, all I'm getting from you is a bunch of assumptions about a game you know nothing about, only comparing it to a game that has little in common with it except for its genre (the aforementioned Platform Fighter)

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I play Playstation Allstars, though it is not as a competitive game, just like Smash. And yeah, I joined because I'm sick of your community, thinking their game is such a good fighting game, when it's not even a fighting game.
Yeah man, god forbid people enjoy themselves.

Shinshoryukenny

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
Never thought I'd find a post here that would be worth making an account for. Adding Ryu to smash was an insult to true fighting games. I've been playing fighters for many years, and smash is complete trash compared to Street Fighter. It literally bears no resemblance to other fighters, and has entry-level, garbage mechanics. The smash community is truly laughable if they think they can compare to anything other than a clown at a 10-year-old's birthday party.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Never thought I'd find a post here that would be worth making an account for. Adding Ryu to smash was an insult to true fighting games. I've been playing fighters for many years, and smash is complete trash compared to Street Fighter. It literally bears no resemblance to other fighters, and has entry-level, garbage mechanics. The smash community is truly laughable if they think they can compare to anything other than a clown at a 10-year-old's birthday party.
Pretty sure this is the same guy as PSAllStarsPlaya2. Just joined today, only one post, and why the heck would some 60-year-old be roaming the boards and happen upon this troll thread as his first post (making his new account and everything) less than an hour after the OP?

PSAllStarsPlaya2

Smash Rookie
Pretty sure this is the same guy as PSAllStarsPlaya2. Just joined today, only one post, and why the heck would some 60-year-old be roaming the boards and happen upon this troll thread as his first post (making his new account and everything) less than an hour after the OP?
LMFAOOOOO You think we're the same guy because we both know that smash is not a fighting game? There's people in this world who can actually think straight. Defend your kids game all you want and how "competitive" it is. Calling it a fighting game is an insult to all real fighting games.

LegendarySquid

Smash Rookie
How can it not be a fighting game if it has fighting game mechanics such as the neutral game, punish game, and stage control? Smash as a competitive metagame is just as valid as Street Fighter.

PSAllStarsPlaya2

Smash Rookie
How can it not be a fighting game if it has fighting game mechanics such as the neutral game, punish game, and stage control? Smash as a competitive metagame is just as valid as Street Fighter.
10. And you still haven't proven to me that it isn't.

9. Agreed, but whenever Street Fighter came out, it wouldn't have been a fighting game by your description because at the time, Capcom "didn't make fighting games"

8. I was thinking about using SC in another example, but I wouldn't just cite SC using a Nintendo character as a reason an unrelated game is a fighter or not.

7. Your phraseology is about "casual", not "non-competitive" in the original point. Anyways, if you want to change the wording to "competitive", then every company needs a first.

6. I just proved it as a point...

5. Who says Captain Falcon, Falco, and Samus are kiddie characters?

4. You have been stating nothing but opinion. You just can't get your head out of your rear end and see the competitive nature of this game.

3. He didn't say anything about Melee being non-competitive, he made titles after Melee less complex and competitive because he wanted it to be a party game. Thank goodness we don't have patching for the GC or else it wouldn't be competitive.

2. But he doesn't know better than hundreds of thousands of people who play this game competitively.

1. And every fighting game has tech, yet they are competitive. Your point?

Basically, all I'm getting from you is a bunch of assumptions about a game you know nothing about, only comparing it to a game that has little in common with it except for its genre (the aforementioned Platform Fighter)
10. I clearly have proven it, the fact that you can't comprehend that is you being way past stupid, but what else am I supposed to expect from the community of a childrens game trying to be serious.

9. It was the first fighting game, and it was later joined by Mortal Kombat and that's when those types of games began being called fighting games. Smash is completely different from fighting games, therefore it's a party brawler. You try so hard making the game appear as a fighting game when it's not.

7. F-Zero is a casual game, wow you race at faster speeds, big deal doesn't make it a non-casual game. That's like saying 200cc in Mario Kart 8 is non-casual because it's faster. Not to mention F-Zero is dead.

6. You didn't prove anything, you said by my logic Capcom never made a fighting game which makes no sense at all. How does that even make sense? How do you think my logic works? Cause if you would REALLY be using my logic you would know Street Fighter is a real fighting game and Smash isn't anything but a Party Brawler.

5. Those characters were made for kids to enjoy, hence why Fox and Falco are anthropomorphic animals. All their games were targeted towards kids. If you were to say someone like Bayonetta then I would agree she isn't for kids but Falcon, Falco/Fox, Samus allll targeted towards kids.

4. All "opinion" yeah right, stop trying to make smash a fighting game because it isn't. You try so hard to make the game what it isn't. It's not a fighting game, it's way different than all real fighting games. You can still enjoy your kids game as a party brawler with a few friends, heck I have enjoyed it with some friends too, but just realize it's not able to be play competitively.

3. Sakurai has stated that competitive smash has NO FUTURE, and he's right, because that's not what the game is, it's a casual party brawler.

2. How can he not? He literally knows every single part of the game because he made it. You keep trying to go against the creator of the game you try so hard to call a fighting game, maybe you should listen to him for once and just enjoy it as the casual experience it is. If you want a competitive, true fighting game look for another game.

1. My point is that having tech doesn't make it competitive. It just means there's some exploits in game. You grab every little thing you can and over exaggerated to "prove" that smash is a fighting game. It's clear your community is desperate to be called a fighting game but really has nothing to back it up.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Calling it a fighting game is an insult to all real fighting games.
You've fallen into the No True Scotsman fallacy; what exactly counts as a "real" fighting game, at it's core? A game where your objective is to defeat your opponents by beating them up. They're different genres of fighter, but both are fighting games nonetheless.

If this was calling Mario Kart a realistic racer, that'd be different. But Smash is a fighting game, plain and simple. You beat people up to win matches on arenas, just like Street Fighter. There's items, but those obviously aren't meant for high-level play, but for people ******* around for fun.

Bluntly, SMASH IS A FIGHTING GAME. This is inarguable, as it is the core mechanics of the game to fight people. It's not an arcade fighter, but that doesn't make it not a fighting game. Don't move the goalpoasts because you want to be right, it makes you a massive tool.
If you really signed up just to bag on Melee and try and make us drop it, you are a sad, strange little man and you have my pity.

ERayz

Smash Journeyman
Who cares if Smash is a fighting game or not?

And LOL at you (if not troll) if you're really hoping to change the mindset of the whole Smash community about what type of game we play by posting in this section of the forums. This section, as you will maybe notice, is filled with newbies (no offense) who joined in 2014-2015, either because of EVO, or the Smash Brothers Documentary. Sadly, people posting here are rarely people with any influence in the community, so whatever you say here will do nothing.

You're losing your time, and so am I.

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
Seriously guys, obviously this guy is a troll. Don't respond to him. Posts like these make me wish I was a mod again and not an ex-mod...I would have closed this up already. :( Don't feed the troll!

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Guys don't feed this troll, I'll go get the mods to close this and give him a warning.

DiscoCokkroach

Smash Rookie
For what it's worth, Evo 2006 actually had an official Mario Kart DS tournament, so there's an instance of them having a non-fighting game. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do something like that again, though.

I remember Prog said something about trying to defend Smash as a fighting game. Essentially, he said not to argue since you can't convince people in most cases. Don't feed the troll, guys.

Cu29

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3136-7062-9722
The player base decides what the game is, not the creator, not Sakurai, and not some troll with illogical thought processes.

Racuncai

Smash Cadet
This troll is right guys wee need to stop playing the game and doing tournaments because he doesnᷰ´t like the game.

we donᷰ´t give a crap if is this is not a fighting game, non competitive or whatever non arguments people used to say about it.

The community is bigger than ever, because the game is good period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom