• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legality Smash HITBOX style controller

Washp

Smash Rookie
Looks like i posted in the wrong area... I just did a thread of this in the media section. (^_^')>
you posted first though by like 3 minutes XD

btw... your link doesn't work ._.

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
I think most players would still use the gc controller as they have used it for years and they've gotten used to it. Looks intersting and some new players might try it out if it becomes tournament legal

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Lots of macro in this controller...

But yea, as my wrist and kinda messed up, I cannot play with those kind of controllers without feeling a great tension in my hands. But if people likes it, I guess I won't mind. It seems like it will make everything easier to do tho, and some things way harder. (Ness' recovery, Zelda's too.)

Washp

Smash Rookie
well if I could get rid of my thread I would... but ill just say what my opinion on that box thing was. I originally thought it was dumb but after thinking about it for a while I think this thing might help get more people interested in playing melee competitively.

On the one hand I think that melee is perfectly suited for the game cube controller only. However this could help people develop better tech skill simply because it allows players to use all their fingers. It could also help get more people playing in simply cause its a fightstick making the game feel slightly more familiar to other fighters. It would be sorta cool to see people going on stage at evo with a fox themed box with bunch a hexagons on it but I don't think I'll be buying one.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
I don't think TOs will even entertain the idea of making this legal. There's tilt macros, and buttons for light shield and full shield press, among other things.

Delta Chae

The Observer
I can't imagine this being practical. Some of those hand positions for the Fire Fox/Bird looked downright cumbersome (And I mean more so than playing Melee already is). The fact that so many of us already have most of this tech ground down to muscle memory on the pad makes it very unlikely that this will catch on.

Vicrachi

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't mind if players were to use it. It looks harder to get accustomed to than a good ol' GameCube controller. If people are willing to get used to it, I have no objections.

Dark Byte

Smash Cadet
Is there a reason why there is no analog stick? A regular fight stick with an octagonal gate would be awesome. Better yet, have the left side of the controller be the exact same thing as a gamecube controller, and have 12 or so buttons on the right side.

Delta Chae

The Observer
Is there a reason why there is no analog stick? A regular fight stick with an octagonal gate would be awesome. Better yet, have the left side of the controller be the exact same thing as a gamecube controller, and have 12 or so buttons on the right side.
Hitbox doesn't make controllers with sticks on them. All of their controllers meant to replace arcade sticks use buttons in place of the stick.

Dark Byte

Smash Cadet
Hitbox doesn't make controllers with sticks on them. All of their controllers meant to replace arcade sticks use buttons in place of the stick.
In that case, pressure sensitive buttons might work. But with digital buttons you are sacrificing so many basic movement things that the control stick is good for.

Delta Chae

The Observer
In that case, pressure sensitive buttons might work. But with digital buttons you are sacrificing so many basic movement things that the control stick is good for.
The way it detects the different angles that are possible using an analog input is by using the dpad and the movement buttons at the same time to add or subtract values to say, the angle of a spacie's up-b. That being said 352 angles are not possible due to calculating angles by using the sum of multiple inputs but the angles that are possible are theoretically all you would need as a spacies player. That being said if you were to watch the video you'd notice that some of the hand positions don't look particularly practical and the controller has simplified many of the more complex inputs that we do on a pad every day. Though I seriously doubt this will be tournament legal for a multitude of reasons, the main being the presence of a light shield macro and I do not believe that macros of any kind are legal for tournament use but I could be wrong on that.

Top Bottom