• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Smash for Wii U True Native Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Can anyone that's received the game early confirm what the game's true native resolution is?
Is it upscaling 720p like Mario Kart 8 or is it actually rendering every frame at 1080p?

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Can anyone that's received the game early confirm what the game's true native resolution is?
Is it upscaling 720p like Mario Kart 8 or is it actually rendering every frame at 1080p?
It was confirmed by GameXplain that Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is 1080p native, 60FPS even in 8 player Smash.

Khao

Smash Lord
Yeah, you can already easily tell it's 1080p from all the newest Youtube videos popping up everywhere, the image looks far sharper than in Mario Kart.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
It's 1080p, so it won't look like garbage like MK8 does.
That's rather harsh. :glare: Mario Kart 8 looks really good in my opinion! The difference between 1080p and 720p isn't that staggering.

Cactusblah

Smash Apprentice
That's rather harsh. :glare: Mario Kart 8 looks really good in my opinion! The difference between 1080p and 720p isn't that staggering.
You should check your eyesight. Mario Kart 8 looks absolutely stunning.
720p without anti-aliasing looks like garbage. Even 1080p will still have jaggies, but won't be as bad.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
720p without anti-aliasing looks like garbage. Even 1080p will still have jaggies, but won't be as bad.
Well we must have played different games then because it did not look as bad as you say it is. I still stand by my statement that it's rather harsh given that it still looks visually impressive and the jaggies aren't super noticeable, at least for me they aren't. To each they're own I suppose.

Cactusblah

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received

It looks better when downscaled, but there are visible jaggies everywhere when viewed at full size. It's even worse when viewed on a larger display. 720p without AA looks terrible on my 47" TV, but it looks a lot better on the gamepad, for example.

It's the same reason why Smash 3DS doesn't look TOO bad, even though it's only 240p. The smaller screen alleviates the jaggies.

Last edited by a moderator:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
You should check your eyesight. Mario Kart 8 looks absolutely stunning.
Last time I checked, I have a 6/36 eyesight (what normally you would see at 36 meters, I need to be at 6 meters).

so, I too, can't see any differences. I pay more attention to audio which as long as it's stereo, It's good enough.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Jaggies in upscaled games aren't so bad if you sit an appropriate distance from your TV.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Jaggies in upscaled games aren't so bad if you sit an appropriate distance from your TV.
That's probably why I don't notice the jaggies as much because my 55" HDTV is a good 10 feet away from where I usually sit.

At any rate, I think it's safe to assume that Mario Kart 8 is a very pleasing looking game to the eye, for most of us, and that Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will look even more stunning.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
>Graphic nerds complaining about jagged pixels in HD games
The game looks fine; you people honestly complain about everything.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
That's probably why I don't notice the jaggies as much because my 55" HDTV is a good 10 feet away from where I usually sit.

At any rate, I think it's safe to assume that Mario Kart 8 is a very pleasing look game to the eye, for most of us, and that Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will look even more stunning.
This is how I feel. I think MK8 looks great, but Smash looks better.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
>Graphic nerds complaining about jagged pixels in HD games
The game looks fine; you people honestly complain about everything.
My thoughts exactly. I care more about gameplay and music than graphics. As long as it looks aesthetically pleasing to my eyes, then I couldn't care if a game has jaggies or low polygon textures. I mean, one of my favourite games of all time is Xenoblade Chronicles and that game has jaggies like you wouldn't believe, but because of the fantastic art direction and stunning vistas, among other visual aspects, I don't care if it has a super low polygon count or jaggies. Gameplay > Graphics forever!

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Smash's characters look better, and MK8's environments look better. That's what I think.

While Smash has SOME beautiful environments, others look noticeably worse. Best example being MK8's own Mario Circuit:

The Smash version has blurrier textures and is much more polygonal (dem trees). Lighting is also inferior.

Of course the Smash version will look fine in motion, and the downgrade makes sense, a you cannot get up as close as you can in MK8, so it doesn't need to be as detailed (plus it helps performance). But some of the other Smash stages look tons better (Battlefield, Final Destination, Mario Galaxy, Windy Hill, etc). While in MK8, the graphical quality is very consistent, with no track looking more or less polished than any other one (this applies to the upcoming DLC tracks too).

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
On the subject of Mario Kart 8, I noticed the jaggies before I even left the starting line when I played my first race at the Gamestop kiosk pre-release.

On the subject of Smash, I'll let Digital Foundry test it. I'm fine with 59.6 fps being called 60 fps in games, but they'll tell me if it's really 59.6 fps or 60 fps. So DF will be what I look at to see what the actual resolution is since they're really anal when it comes to details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom