• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Fatigue...

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I know that my performance drastically changes depending on how tired I am. Usually, after a certain time at night (or if I had bad sleep), I lose a significant amount of skill. My reaction time is slower, my combos are worse.

I was just interested in seeing if anyone else experiences this as well. It's unfortunate but I guess it can't be prevented...

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I know that my performance drastically changes depending on how tired I am. Usually, after a certain time at night (or if I had bad sleep), I lose a significant amount of skill. My reaction time is slower, my combos are worse.

I was just interested in seeing if anyone else experiences this as well. It's unfortunate but I guess it can't be prevented...
I'll just retire for the evening/extremely late at night if I start facing people I clearly am better against, but end up losing because my eyelids are heavy.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1

I experience this myself, particularly in the evenings. That's when my performance isn't the best.
Probably just because the brain requires a certain amount of energy to focus.

I find I fight best in the morning or afternoon.

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
Of course, this is bound to happen.
It happens to me frequently at the late hours (3AM and further) when I did not sleep well the previous day.
Typically the game is inactive during that time, anyways.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I usually try not to play the game when I am tired. I'm usually hyped up on caffeine at tournaments. At my house, even late, I tend to play well... but if it's late enough where I am tired, whoever I'm playing with is just as tired. Hah

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Well it's good to know other people have a similar experience (although, I guess I should have expected it). I just get really upset at myself when I get too tired to play. It can be pretty annoying...

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I think I do better in the morning than the night, though the differance is slight.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Yeah, exhaustion affects everyone. My only practice time during weekdays is at night, after I've been up for over 12+ hours and tired so I either train tired or not at all. This does make you more disheartened when progress is slow (side effect of tiredness is lower emotional tolerance), and some people are more likely to auto-pilot when tired. (I suffer from this as well, falling for traps or missing punishes I normally wouldn't. Sadly all the tournaments in my area are late at night during the weekdays as well. I swear most of my comrades in the area are only college kids.) Rest is the only real fix here, though in my case I'd have to quit my job to play during my optimal time. :urg:

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It was an issue for me early on since I was still in college for the first few months of the game's life.

Now, it's not as much, though the dermatitis in my hands can cause me issues and I seriously can't play properly sometimes because my hands are so sore/itchy.

I more get exhausted from the community online and the lag in-game in online modes more than anything. I haven't been playing as much, and I haven't been working on a Rosalina tech video as much as I should, due to the fact I am exhausted from the game because of those things. I've been playing Kingdom Hearts games instead and then I will play Smash when someone asks me to.

Last edited:

Zaabrey

Smash Apprentice
I'm a Night Smasher and if I don't have to worry about school work, I'll smash past midnight.

I don't like training midday or early afternoon. Or if I am still able to see sunlight, period! Too many distractions (phone ringing, sometimes a well-rested nap may be needed, someone knocking on the door, neighbors shouting, etc). Once everyone is out of my hair and asleep, I start playing.

Besides, the kiddies are usually asleep around that time.

I can do mornings, but maybe like 5 matches that's it.

EDIT: Ah, should've been more specific. Despite the distractions I get during midday and afternoon, I do tend to get bothered and tired out eventually. I realized this over the Summer. I mean, I move around and worry what else there is to be done, the thought of playing Sm4sh wouldn't sound fun, but instead, be a chore.

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
For me I can't really tell the difference to be honest, but sometimes if I start getting bored after a while (I don't see how most can play a game for 6+ hours, it seems impossible for me) my interest obviously decreases and I get less into the game than normal.

So I guess that can count I suppose? I play mainly a night given how most of my day is spent doing other things usually (plus I'm a night owl anyways) so I'm kind of used to feeling tired when I play. That, and usually when my friend is over we're normally playing Smash and he tends to keep me wide awake most of the time. I guess it's disinterest that cripples me more skill wise really.

Sorry Shulk, sometimes you just can't really feel it after a while. (Phrasing!)

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
For me I can't really tell the difference to be honest, but sometimes if I start getting bored after a while (I don't see how most can play a game for 6+ hours, it seems impossible for me) my interest obviously decreases and I get less into the game than normal.

So I guess that can count I suppose? I play mainly a night given how most of my day is spent doing other things usually (plus I'm a night owl anyways) so I'm kind of used to feeling tired when I play. That, and usually when my friend is over we're normally playing Smash and he tends to keep me wide awake most of the time. I guess it's disinterest that cripples me more skill wise really.

Sorry Shulk, sometimes you just can't really feel it after a while. (Phrasing!)
I agree. The most I ever play Smash in one sitting is maybe 2 hours. I did have a couple times (day 1 of release and for some reason when tournament mode was released) where I played for a really long time straight.

RainDog

Smash Rookie
I've noticed a different kind of Smash fatigue i get. Usually after a few warm up games i'll hit a nice sweet-spot where i'm playing really cleanly, spacing well, and hitting tricks or strings that i drilled in training mode. But often that will only last for half an hour or less, then i'm back to doing unsafe stuff on shields, falling into predictable patterns, and being clunkier or more static with my movements. The weird thing is that it doesn't have anything to do with being tired outside of Smash, it's like a Smash-specific fatigue. Hoping that sweet-spot window will get wider naturally with more experience.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I've noticed a different kind of Smash fatigue i get. Usually after a few warm up games i'll hit a nice sweet-spot where i'm playing really cleanly, spacing well, and hitting tricks or strings that i drilled in training mode. But often that will only last for half an hour or less, then i'm back to doing unsafe stuff on shields, falling into predictable patterns, and being clunkier or more static with my movements. The weird thing is that it doesn't have anything to do with being tired outside of Smash, it's like a Smash-specific fatigue. Hoping that sweet-spot window will get wider naturally with more experience.
I used to notice the same thing and still do to some extent. But, yes, it does get much larger. I can go for hours some days.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
When it gets to that stage, you should just retire for the night.

If you force yourself to keep trying, you will just burn out.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I just had a case like that, on a Online Tournament. I lost in the First Round playing like a noob, on both Winners and Losers (I actually passed one round through Losers, but it was because of a bye: doesn't really counts). But this doesn't mean I'm that nooby: last week I got 4th place and did beat lots of skilled players from my Country. Sometimes we are just tired!

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yeah, sometimes you just don't play good Smash. That's okay, just shake it off and try harder next time! :3

Raijinken

Smash Master
This isn't really unusual for Smash. It's just a matter of when you're most awake. If you're more of a night person, playing late at night may work better than it would early in the morning (if you even wake up when it's technically still "morning"). Like anything else, if you're too tired to perform well or think straight, take a break, go sleep, and resume later. The game's not going anywhere, and you do more harm than good by sacrificing your health to keep playing.

D

Deleted member

When I get tired, my mood and reactions drastically change.
When I am energized and awake, I think a lot more thoroughly, carefully, and I am able to preform some good combos. Win or lose, I keep my head cool, become optimistic for the next fight, and I stay focused throughout.
When I am tired, I think more about getting combos and fishing for kills. I know that is a poor strategy, but I am in a mentality where I want to win. If I lose, I get very salty over it. I have a supreme lack of focus here.

I like Smashing more in the day to avoid this, preferably midday where I am not tired. I wouldn't fight at night because I would be super tired by then and lose concentration.

When you get tired, it's best to walk away from the game and take a break. That is what I do when I realize that I am tired.

Last edited by a moderator:

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I don't really have this happen to me. When I decide to focus on the match I generally play at a consistent level. When I keep losing matches over and over or keep winning matches without having too much effort I start to lose focus on matches, either causing me to put down the game until the next day or take a break for a few hours and come back later.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
This isn't really unusual for Smash. It's just a matter of when you're most awake. If you're more of a night person, playing late at night may work better than it would early in the morning (if you even wake up when it's technically still "morning"). Like anything else, if you're too tired to perform well or think straight, take a break, go sleep, and resume later. The game's not going anywhere, and you do more harm than good by sacrificing your health to keep playing.
Yeah. I'm an early riser and have a lot of energy for Smash from morning-afternoon. That doesn't mean I can't play at night. It just means I won't be playing very well at 12 pm. So, yeah, I think it definitely depends on your sleep tendencies.

When I get tired, my mood and reactions drastically change.
When I am energized and awake, I think a lot more thoroughly, carefully, and I am able to preform some good combos. Win or lose, I keep my head cool, become optimistic for the next fight, and I stay focused throughout.
When I am tired, I think more about getting combos and fishing for kills. I know that is a poor strategy, but I am in a mentality where I want to win. If I lose, I get very salty over it. I have a supreme lack of focus here.

I like Smashing more in the day to avoid this, preferably midday where I am not tired. I wouldn't fight at night because I would be super tired by then and lose concentration.

When you get tired, it's best to walk away from the game and take a break. That is what I do when I realize that I am tired.
I agree. When I'm tired I get more sloppy and, naturally, much more salty cause I lose more. :urg: I think that's an important thing to keep in mind. When you get sloppy, no matter what time it is, you should probably take a break.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Yeah, it's normal I think. When you're tired, you tend to auto-pilot as others have said. I just noticed this not long ago, but I also find that if I'm too drained, I tend to concentrate on what my character is doing instead of looking at what my opponent is doing and making reads because my judgement is too poor / dull to care. It's times like this where I tend to avoid Tourneys or anything of that sort and opt for some For Fun, because you can just make hilarious plays / piss people off with the items and not care about your spacing and techs.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Yeah, it's normal I think. When you're tired, you tend to auto-pilot as others have said. I just noticed this not long ago, but I also find that if I'm too drained, I tend to concentrate on what my character is doing instead of looking at what my opponent is doing and making reads because my judgement is too poor / dull to care. It's times like this where I tend to avoid Tourneys or anything of that sort and opt for some For Fun, because you can just make hilarious plays / piss people off with the items and not care about your spacing and techs.
Yeah For Fun mode is great for relaxing when you're tired. :)

Top Bottom