• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

H€RO

Smash Rookie
NNID
jhiggs23
3DS FC
3969-5139-6694
Hello so I've been playing smash since the 64 days and in terms of the rules I really don't care what how you play but there are certain things that are just common sense..
With that being said lately whenever I go on to FG any match I play I fight the other person once (meaning one two stock game) and then they leave. Am I the only one who thinks this is disrespectful or poor sportsmanship. Now I am by no means a pro heck I've never eve been to a tournament. But with any fighting game I believe you should always play best two out of three (meaning 2-3 two stock games). I feel like that's the standard and fair. What do you guys think? Has this happened to you?

Last edited:

Akira213

Smash Cadet
I don't know why you think anyone here has the omnipotence to determine how people on FG play.

There's also a pretty fair likelihood they may have left because of lag, which isn't revealed until they play at least one game.

Settle down there big guy, it's an online anonymous match, you're not being stood up for a date. ;)

H€RO

Smash Rookie
NNID
jhiggs23
3DS FC
3969-5139-6694
I can understand lag I usually just SD right at the start if there is.. I'm just saying as a general player I wouldn't think I'd improve much if someone just mashed out a bunch of combos with their main while taunting and two stock me then leave. Idk I like two matches better just my thoughts

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
What if they had to leave? What if they were playing some on their lunch break at work? Have kids and needed to tend to them quickly so they finished up and turned the system off? Plenty of reasons. Sometimes I'll play a few rounds before my fiancee gets home then we have errands to run so whoever I'm against gets shafted after one game.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
No I feel you.

Of course it's unknowable the reason why the person left. If it's a legit reason like they're busy IRL, lag, or something along those lines, it's totally fine.

But it is a douchey move to quit after 1 close match IF the reason is that they won and are dropping out is to rob the other person of a rematch. Again, you'll probably never know if that's even the reason, unless they're one of those "GET GUD" or "EZPZ" trolls and make it obvious they're doing it to bother you or prevent the chance of a rematch loss.

I think basic Smash Bros. online etiquette is:

1. NO SMACK TALK. Don't talk trash in the lobby. "GET GUD" and "EZPZ" is lame.
2. GIVE REMATCHES. If you win the first match with a new character, give your opponent a chance at a rematch (choosing the exact same character). The exception is if you're one of those people who cycles through the entire roster or picks random, then it's fine. Annoying, but fine. But don't be switching back and forth between your mains to metagame against your opponent's weaknesses without at least 1 rematch per new character.
3. NO MIRRORS. Never switch to the character your opponent is using in order to humiliate them by performing better. The only exception is if you have both already used that character at some point against each other during the current competition, or if the person is an etiquette breaker. But don't dominate them with their own main just to be an asshat. Purposefully copying your opponent's color scheme is also lame.
4. NO TEABAGGING. Don't repeatedly crouch to taunt your opponent, especially if you're on a winning streak. A sore winner is far more obnoxious than a sore loser. Again, you get a pass with etiquette breakers.
5. NO CAMPING. Don't hang back without attacking all the time. Doing it occasionally to bait your opponent is fine, but if you are so bad about it that if your opponent doesn't move forward you will ONLY stand still (maybe only ducking every several seconds to avoid getting booted by the server for idling) then you are a lame ass.
6. NO SANDBAGGING. Don't hold back your true ability against people who are tiers below you in skill, letting them think they have a chance, but always winning in the end just to screw with them. Not cool.
7. NO RAGEQUITTING. Don't ragequit to prevent your opponent from being able to save a clip of the match. That's super douchey. However, I haven't seen that happen lately, I think Nintendo may have patched it so that if someone rage quits, their character becomes a Lv. 1 CPU who constantly walks slowly toward you without blocking, and only rarely attacking with a simple jab. Can someone else confirm?

Last edited:

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Basic etiquette I listed above is generally about avoiding being a douche.

Advanced etiquette is mostly about being an actively being a good sportsman:

1. Say GOOD GAME. Dropping a "GG" or "GGs" when appropriate can go a long way. Don't mindlessly overdo it though, it's possible to accidentally come off as sarcastic if you just drop GG on a game where you just 2-stocked someone.
2. HELP YOUR OPPONENT IMPROVE. If your opponent seems like they're in the zone, intent on beating your character, and has come close a number of times or is getting noticeably better every single round, let them keep trying much as your patience will allow. If drop out prematurely because they're starting to come scarily close to beating you, it robs them of that valuable learning experience Helping your opponent learn from their mistakes and improve their game by using you essentially as a training partner is one of the coolest things you can do for your fellow Smashers. Not every has the time or patience for this, but doing so is going above and beyond to be a great sportsman.
3. OPPOSITE COLORS. If you don't really care about your colors one way or the other, pick a color scheme opposite of your opponent so you stand out from each other better.

カワシさん

No I feel you.

Of course it's unknowable the reason why the person left. If it's a legit reason like they're busy IRL, lag, or something along those lines, it's totally fine.

But it is a douchey move to quit after 1 close match IF the reason is that they won and are dropping out is to rob the other person of a rematch. Again, you'll probably never know if that's even the reason, unless they're one of those "GET GUD" or "EZPZ" trolls and make it obvious they're doing it to bother you or prevent the chance of a rematch loss.

I think basic Smash Bros. online etiquette is:

2. GIVE REMATCHES. If you win the first match with a new character, give your opponent a chance at a rematch (choosing the exact same character). The exception is if you're one of those people who cycles through the entire roster or picks random, then it's fine. Annoying, but fine. But don't be switching back and forth between your mains to metagame against your opponent's weaknesses without at least 1 rematch per new character.
3. NO MIRRORS. Never switch to the character your opponent is using in order to humiliate them by performing better. The only exception is if you have both already used that character at some point against each other during the current competition, or if the person is an etiquette breaker. But don't dominate them with their own main just to be an ******. Purposefully copying your opponent's color scheme is also lame.
4. NO TEABAGGING. Don't repeatedly crouch to taunt your opponent, especially if you're on a winning streak. A sore winner is far more obnoxious than a sore loser. Again, you get a pass with etiquette breakers.
5. NO CAMPING. Don't hang back without attacking all the time. Doing it occasionally to bait your opponent is fine, but if you are so bad about it that if your opponent doesn't move forward you will ONLY stand still (maybe only ducking every several seconds to avoid getting booted by the server for idling) then you are a lame ***.
6. NO SANDBAGGING. Don't hold back your true ability against people who are tiers below you in skill, letting them think they have a chance, but always winning in the end just to screw with them. Not cool.
7. NO RAGEQUITTING. Don't ragequit to prevent your opponent from being able to save a clip of the match. That's super douchey. However, I haven't seen that happen lately, I think Nintendo may have patched it so that if someone rage quits, their character becomes a Lv. 1 CPU who constantly walks slowly toward you without blocking, and only rarely attacking with a simple jab. Can someone else confirm?
This is really good!

Also concerning the patch I fought someone yesterday online and they were doing pretty much what you described: Walks around, doesn't block and only throws a jab rarely. The only thing the fighter did other than that was recover, so it seems what you're saying is true.

Concerning Rule 2: I personally hate when it's the other way around: The person I beat quits. Especially when he/she was close! I don't leave the room unless I gtg, or I want to do something else (but even then I normally wait until the opponent leaves). I don't leave when someone beats me, mainly because I want to beat them. So I keep on fighting until I win, THEN I leave, but sometimes I keep fighting if we end up trading wins.

Concerning Rule 3: I feel bad ;-; I did a mirror against someone using Little Mac, mainly because I was bored. I've practiced with Little Mac but I don't use him in FG. I will NOT do this again. Apologies to that person (>人<;)

Concerning Rule 4: I actually do this, but not to be a jerk. I crouch to pretty much play around. A majority of my opponents get this. Again, sorry to anyone that was offended,

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
About leaving after a single match, I don't really mind. Like others have said, there's several IRL reasons someone would leave early. I've even left after one match because a friend wanted to play with me whilst I was in For Glory. When it comes to the number of matches per opponent, I don't have any kind of limit. We both keep playing until one of us gets bored of fighting, ragequits, gets annoyed with the other person, or has to go. This seems to be the rule most people adopt when playing online.
3. NO MIRRORS. Never switch to the character your opponent is using in order to humiliate them by performing better. The only exception is if you have both already used that character at some point against each other during the current competition, or if the person is an etiquette breaker. But don't dominate them with their own main just to be an ******. Purposefully copying your opponent's color scheme is also lame.
5. NO CAMPING. Don't hang back without attacking all the time. Doing it occasionally to bait your opponent is fine, but if you are so bad about it that if your opponent doesn't move forward you will ONLY stand still (maybe only ducking every several seconds to avoid getting booted by the server for idling) then you are a lame ***.
I agree with all of these except 5., which really isn't a form of etiquette, IMO. Any decent player will be able to counter camping that's extreme to the point of the camper literally just standing there. Extreme camping in this game really isn't a form of disrespect, but just a poor strategy. ...It can get annoying, though! :p

Last edited:

nubilepoopile

Smash Cadet
I just play one offs until I find someone I like playing with and hope they wanna play 15 games in a row. Doing 2 out of 3 to see who's the better player is what tournaments and Anther's Ladder are for. Besides, a good number of players are just not fun to fight, so I wouldn't even bother going to FG if I felt obligated to play 2 rounds against everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom