• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash competitive scene's history

famedoro

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone, I'm a smasher from Italy and a freelance journalist who writes about pop issue for some magazines.
First of all, sorry for my english.

I wanna write an article about Smash for a magazine that doesn't address gaming as its first topic but covers pop culture with a wide spectrum (including games).

I'm trying to collect infos about the history of competitive scene and I ask for your help.
I watched some documentaries on Utube, still I feel I need a better grasp on the matter.

I'd like you all share some material about this in the thread but I also have some specific questions that only on this board can find answers, I think.

1) When the competitive scene began? The Smash64's two years of life was long enough to give a birth to a competitive scene or all started with melee?
2) Can we say that, in the mind of the creator and in the eye of the first game critics/players, smash64 was more a party game than a proper fighting game intended for competitive play? (the objects, the absence of plain stages and the very thing represented by revolutionary gameplay for a fighting game)
3) Predecessors and followers? Do you believe to the Outfoxies theory? ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXmIjFcElMI ) Why there are so few followers of this revolutionary gameplay for fighting games, apart the infamous playstation attempt (that copies not just the gameplay but the whole concept)? Why, in your opinion, smash gameplay didn't create a new sub-genre but it's remained a stand alone?

Thank y'all in advance for the answers

Top Bottom