• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Chracters VS the Video Game Wrold Round 1 - Mario VS Spyro

Mario VS Spyro

• Mario

Votes: 33 76.7%
  • Spyro

Votes: 10 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JOE!

Smash Hero
Wayyy back like, even before Brawl was released I think there were two threads that became monstrous on Brawl General:

The Deadliest Brawler (hosted by me, characters were brought to "real life" and pitted against each other)
Canon Battle (hosted by another guy, it was essentially this thread where they use their in-game abilities)

Oddly, in both Samus was simply god-tier with her arsenal and nigh indestructible suit. In canon battle, Ike was up there thanks to only a very few select weapons able to actually harm him PERIOD thanks to a blessing he receives in his games, and the same with Ganondorf in that only the MASTER SWORD can defeat him. They both stalemate with Samus, but it could be theorized that her hyper-beam and/or light/dark-beams could harm them both.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Wayyy back like, even before Brawl was released I think there were two threads that became monstrous on Brawl General:

The Deadliest Brawler (hosted by me, characters were brought to "real life" and pitted against each other)
Canon Battle (hosted by another guy, it was essentially this thread where they use their in-game abilities)

Oddly, in both Samus was simply god-tier with her arsenal and nigh indestructible suit. In canon battle, Ike was up there thanks to only a very few select weapons able to actually harm him PERIOD thanks to a blessing he receives in his games, and the same with Ganondorf in that only the MASTER SWORD can defeat him. They both stalemate with Samus, but it could be theorized that her hyper-beam and/or light/dark-beams could harm them both.

Well I hope to cancel those things out with the rule of ignoring any and all invincible/immortal powers or abilities characters might have. This basically makes Ganondorf kill able by stuff other then the Mast Sword, allows Smaus' power suit to be not be nigh indestructible, ect... I don't want characters dominating because they are indestructible or invincible or immortal basically. So yea that should helpfully keep characters from going that route. Though still no idea what the hell I'm going to do about Kirby rofl.

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
With Kirby I guess his limitations would have to be depending on his opponent to make it more or less a fair match-up. Seriously, that little ball is just a power house and if I were you I would not even count him in this since he is Top Tier in these kind of things (guess its to make up for his position in Melee and Brawl...)

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Well hold on, then where are lines drawn then?

Can mario use the star? Etc.

He is not allowed to use the Power Star, or White Tanooki Suite, or Giant Mushroom, or any power-up that makes him invincible. Giant Mushroom may, canonically speaking, not actually make him invincible, but it also may actually make him invincible so I put in there with the other power-ups that make him invincible. This also applies Ganondorf not being able to be killed except by the Mast Sword, in this thing that cannon ability will be ignored so as to make it more fair, and same will be applied to Samus' Power Suit. I'm basically trying to make the battles more fair by getting rid of all invincibility and/or immortal powers characters may have from either side, so as to not have a single character dominating everything else. Hell, technically speaking, since Spyro is a purple dragon he is actually immortal lol.

JOE!

Smash Hero
SO hold on...

something that -makes- ganondorf as a character: only the sword of evil's bane can defeat this guy, it's why he's so powerful.

something that more or less -is- the character: the Power Suit for Samus

are both ignored, as they are on the same level as a TEMPORARY power up?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
SO hold on...

something that -makes- ganondorf as a character: only the sword of evil's bane can defeat this guy, it's why he's so powerful.

something that more or less -is- the character: the Power Suit for Samus

are both ignored, as they are on the same level as a TEMPORARY power up?

For Ganondorf yes. Otherwise when we get to him we would be stuck with him forever as nothing could kill him besides the Master Sword. It's needed for him.

The Power Suit is still there as it is needed for her weapons and all that. Howeverthe near indestructible aspect would be ignored. Basically just because she is in the Power Suit doesn't mean it should keep her from not being beaten from it making her nigh invincible.

I don't want character dominating just because they can't be killed. Ganondorf has other things going for him besides his inviniciblity, he knows how to use swords, he is a master of dark magic, can transform into a giant *** pig, has a a very powerful punch, and more. Samus has all those different beams, missiles, Morph Ball, Bombs, agility and more. They easily have have the capabilities to hold their own without the invincibility gimmick and thus don't need it, and this makes it easier to pair them against more character and keeping it more fair.

JOE!

Smash Hero
For Ganondorf yes. Otherwise when we get to him we would be stuck with him forever as nothing could kill him besides the Master Sword. It's needed for him.
But it is his canonical ability, why ignore that?

The Power Suit is still there as it is needed for her weapons and all that. Howeverthe near indestructible aspect would be ignored. Basically just because she is in the Power Suit doesn't mean it should keep her from not being beaten from it making her nigh invincible.
Less nigh invincible and more durable to the point of it being practically invincible in the time it'd take for her to kill the other person.

I don't want character dominating just because they can't be killed. Ganondorf has other things going for him besides his inviniciblity, he knows how to use swords, he is a master of dark magic, can transform into a giant *** pig, has a a very powerful punch, and more. Samus has all those different beams, missiles, Morph Ball, Bombs, agility and more. They easily have have the capabilities to hold their own without the invincibility gimmick and thus don't need it, and this makes it easier to pair them against more character and keeping it more fair.
"more fair", well Tough.

If you are using canonical abilities, there WILL be stuff like this that comes up. For example, lemme just throw GODZILLA into this since he appears in videogames, and put him against like... Solo Kazooie from Banjo tooie.

Should Godzilla get nerfed to hell just to fight that matchup? NO, because Godzilla as a *character* is supposed to be the king of the monsters, just as Ganondorf is the master of all evil and is one of the few characters in games that really has taken over the world (more or less) multiple times thanks to his incredible power that only Light Arrows and the Master Sword can disrupt. And so on.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
But it is his canonical ability, why ignore that?
Because I don't want any character dominating to where they will be there forever just simply due to the fact they can't be killed. Whether or not it is canon. I want them winning to be based on their other powers besides invincibility.

"more fair", well Tough.

If you are using canonical abilities, there WILL be stuff like this that comes up. For example, lemme just throw GODZILLA into this since he appears in videogames, and put him against like... Solo Kazooie from Banjo tooie.

Should Godzilla get nerfed to hell just to fight that matchup? NO, because Godzilla as a *character* is supposed to be the king of the monsters, just as Ganondorf is the master of all evil and is one of the few characters in games that really has taken over the world (more or less) multiple times thanks to his incredible power that only Light Arrows and the Master Sword can disrupt. And so on.
The only thing I am nerfing is invincibility/immortality and it isn't exclusive to just one character and goes to any character that has it. They still have everything else going for them. If the only thing that keeps them going strong is a invincibility gimmick then they don't deserve it anyway. Ganondorf and Samus have a bunch of other things going for them besides invincibility or near indestructibility, a lot more.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Ok, so what if somebody who's whole deal is that they are invincible is used? Like Tubba Blubba or even more blatant like.. friggen Superman or something?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Ok, so what if somebody who's whole deal is that they are invincible is used? Like Tubba Blubba or even more blatant like.. friggen Superman or something?

Since they don't exist in Smash I probably won't use them. Definantly not going near a Superman battle with a 10 foot pole. These aren't full realistic Death Battles.

Look at it more like this. It like a world tournament of sorts for video games, but with the idea being of Smash characters versus the video game world (this means characters who originated in a video game first, so guys like Superman will not even be in it). Now then since the battles aren't to the death a certain limitation must be placed, in this case all invincibility and immortal and indestructible stuff so as to not have this tournament being dominated by a single character.

Does that analogy work a bit better for you?

JOE!

Smash Hero
Well, its more like: what is the main premise here?

In your OP you state you are having people vote to say who is "more powerful", but on what grounds?

Wouldn't making specific rules such as Mario not able to use his power-ups that are relatively distinctly "Mario's" kind of raise a flag as to Mario being more powerful than who he is up against, and so on?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Having spent the vast majority of his life fighting against fire breathing reptiles, I'm going to have to vote for Mario.

Although I love Spyro too. One of the few Sony originated IPs I really like.

Lotusclaw8

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1950-8228-5583
And Mega Man is now a Smash character. It's gonna be tough finding a even battle for him, I might have to end up placing nerfs on him when it gets to there. I'll figure it out when I get to that point.
Ever play cave story? The main character, Quote is an android with guns, exactly the same at mega man

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
Ever play cave story? The main character, Quote is an android with guns, exactly the same at mega man

Megaman is awesome and all, but I don't think he could stand up to Quote. I mean - that guy quite literally went to hell, wrecked everything in there and came out alive. He is like the Doom Guy - but child friendly and greater odds against him considering the crap Quote had to face...

Now I have a urge to replay Cave Story. But if I do, I will rage at Hell all over again... First world problems T_T

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
Spyro.
He can fly, he is a DRAGON (that in of itself says something) and as someone above said, his skylanders abilities would be OP compared to a normal mario.

Also, I am biast, I love skylanders, but Mario is cool too.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Mario can also fly using various methods

seriously though, are we comparing how powerful they are in their games vs one another? Because then that is all relative:

Sure Quote could have gone to hell and back, but what if Megaman was pound for pound more powerful based on his vast array of feats over time?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Well, its more like: what is the main premise here?

In your OP you state you are having people vote to say who is "more powerful", but on what grounds?

Wouldn't making specific rules such as Mario not able to use his power-ups that are relatively distinctly "Mario's" kind of raise a flag as to Mario being more powerful than who he is up against, and so on?

The only limiting Mario has is not being able to use the Power Star and the like. The same limiting Spyro has of not being immortal since he is a purple dragon. The single limitation I have put on characters is all I have for now. Anything else is allowed. Although I am considering also limiting instant death moves, but doubt I will. The invincibility/immortal/indestructible limitation is not exclusive to a single character and I will not be putting limitations for just a single character, any and all limitation I may or may not put on in the future will be applied to any character who has them and will hopefully never single out a single character.

As for the grounds, they should be voting for who they think will win in a fight.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Mario can use his power-ups to his advantage. Mainly, I see him carrying F.L.U.D.D. with him in this battle. Spyro's breaths can be countered by a Mario power-up every time. As I see it, Mario's main strategy would be having tens of Double Cherries, becoming a Mario army, each basically armed with a certain power-up. They'd swarm the dragon easily, especially if the original Mario was in Mega Mushroom form.

JOE!

Smash Hero
The only limiting Mario has is not being able to use the Power Star and the like. The same limiting Spyro has of not being immortal since he is a purple dragon. The single limitation I have put on characters is all I have for now. Anything else is allowed. Although I am considering also limiting instant death moves, but doubt I will. The invincibility/immortal/indestructible limitation is not exclusive to a single character and I will not be putting limitations for just a single character, any and all limitation I may or may not put on in the future will be applied to any character who has them and will hopefully never single out a single character.

As for the grounds, they should be voting for who they think will win in a fight.
1st: Immortal =/= Invincible or unkillable. Immortal usually just means they cannot die of natural causes / age, but can still be killed/defeated by sufficient means. In his games, Spyro is able to be defeated despite his "immortality".

Anywho, if it is to be a fight... why neuter people who canonically have such defensive strengths? The reason I brought up superman earlier was: would you nerf his invincibility just to allow like, King DDD to potentially boop him with a hammer?

Morbi

Scavenger
1st: Immortal =/= Invincible or unkillable. Immortal usually just means they cannot die of natural causes / age, but can still be killed/defeated by sufficient means. In his games, Spyro is able to be defeated despite his "immortality".

Anywho, if it is to be a fight... why neuter people who canonically have such defensive strengths? The reason I brought up superman earlier was: would you nerf his invincibility just to allow like, King DDD to potentially boop him with a hammer?
No, that arbitrary definition is irrelevant. Immortal entails that one is not subject to death, they are eternal. That doesn't mean they can be killed, I think you are thinking of vampires friend.

mimgrim

Smash Hero

Because I don't want it getting stale. I don't want to have a character winning everything single round when he or she gets put up by me simple because the cannot be defeated because they are invincible. Basically it comes down to me not wanting this to get stale because a character ends up dominating every character her or she gets paired up against, and a character who is invincible has the potential to cause this.

And even if I were to allow invincibility, this would force me to put them against characters who also have some kind of invincibility. Now normally, I do not mind doing this. However I have a planned way on carrying this out. Since it is looking like Mario is going to win this battle, he will be going onto the next battle and any battle after that if he keeps on winning, reversely should Spyro miraculously win he will be in the next battle VS a different Smash character because he won. This makes it easier for characters to dominate it. If I were doing it more randomly and not following a sort of patter I actually wouldn't have the invincibility rule. Understand now? >_>

Morbi

Scavenger

This.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
[quote="mimgrim, post: 16050124, member: 221157" Though still no idea what the hell I'm going to do about Kirby rofl.[/quote]
Even with some limitations, he is still 2 OP he's still 2 gud. Even if you took some of that indestructibility away, he still has that canon copy ability with or without swallowing. I wouldn't be surprised if he was banned from this XD, there's a reason why screwattack hasn't done a death battle of him yet :p (he's just 2 gud.)

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Even with some limitations, he is still 2 OP he's still 2 gud. Even if you took some of that indestructibility away, he still has that canon copy ability with or without swallowing. I wouldn't be surprised if he was banned from this XD, there's a reason why screwattack hasn't done a death battle of him yet :p (he's just 2 gud.)

Strictly speaking, is it cannon that foes he swallows die instantly? Or is that just a game mechanic from the games? That's my biggest problem with him. Because otherwise even with the copy ability it generally is a less version of what he copied and not the full thing, ofc I could be wrong on that. I'll do my research when I get to him.

Hell I might just end up "forgetting" about him. xD

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Strictly speaking, is it cannon that foes he swallows die instantly? Or is that just a game mechanic from the games? That's my biggest problem with him. Because otherwise even with the copy ability it generally is a less version of what he copied and not the full thing, ofc I could be wrong on that. I'll do my research when I get to him.

Hell I might just end up "forgetting" about him. xD
Its canon that you automatically die when eaten, his stomach is literally another galaxy.
And no the copy ability copies the ability just like swallowing does, he only uses that when he can't inhale an opponent, but now with the super inhale introduced in return to dreamland and now a mega inhale from triple deluxe? Lol hal just made him more OP.

The only problem with kirby is that he's a baby and doesn't really like to pick fights, he rather be buds with people and steal their food xD but since in this scenario he's forced to fight well.... too OP :p

Morbi

Scavenger

JOE!

Smash Hero
Metaknight uses his halberd all the time in his games, can summon various knights by his side, can heal himself, move at super speeds, fly indefinitely, and the mach tornado pretty much 1-shots anythign on screen.

This is what you get when you unleash CANNON

Read that thread

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Metaknight uses his halberd all the time in his games, can summon various knights by his side, can heal himself, move at super speeds, fly indefinitely, and the mach tornado pretty much 1-shots anythign on screen.

This is what you get when you unleash CANNON

Read that thread
In that case, kirby is still 2 OP.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-bros-canon-tournament-mario-vs-06-14-10.235552/

This is the thread I was talking about. There is EXTENSIVE documentation by people well versed in each and every character's canonical abilities.

Pretty much it was only Smash vs Smash, but they used the abilities of ANYTHING THEY CAN DO IN THEIR GAMES in a vs setting, such as MK using his HALBERD and such.

And even if I were to allow invincibility, this would force me to put them against characters who also have some kind of invincibility. Now normally, I do not mind doing this. However I have a planned way on carrying this out. Since it is looking like Mario is going to win this battle, he will be going onto the next battle and any battle after that if he keeps on winning, reversely should Spyro miraculously win he will be in the next battle VS a different Smash character because he won. This makes it easier for characters to dominate it. If I were doing it more randomly and not following a sort of patter I actually wouldn't have the invincibility rule. Understand now? >_>
It has a different plan from what that thread did. If I weren't following a specific pattern. AKA a pattern that is where the character that won the last round will move on to the next round. If I weren't following that kind of pattern I actually wouldn't limit invincibility.

But since this is brought up. Would people rather I didn't follow that patter and not limit invincibility or follow the pattern and limit invincibility?

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Explain yourself: there are characters that Kirby cannot inhale you realize
Doesn't matter, he's plenty OP enough just with himself and the Warp Star.
And of course there's also those instances where Kirby can store and select abilities at will, thus negating the need for inhaling.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Its more like...

If you are using characters as they themselves function/appear in their games and more or less don't limit them by anything aside from obvious "game mechanic" [Such as say, how Mario can land a 100ft drop uninjured but a brush on the shin from a GOOMBA can kill him] or "hack/glitch" [such as a teleport glitch involving bottled bugs in OoT: that is something link can't normally do and is a product of a clear glitch, not the game world] type stuff, then SOME characters will have traits like this.

Notably characters that aren't really playable outside smash (Like Ganon, or the Black Knight from Path of Radiance) have special "rules" to them when it comes to how to fight them such as being either extremely resistant if not outright immune to things that arent attacks by other triforce[weapons/users] / blessed weapons, which is half of why they are so powerful in the first place (See: Twilight princess where ganon was impaled and banished, but shrugged it off like nothing because it wasnt the master sword/light arrows). Other characters, like Samus, just have so much HP / Resistance combined with HUGE firepower that it makes most fights trivial as she could obliterate most anything well before they even scratch her, if they even hit her thanks to the speed booster / shinespark.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'm still trying to figure out how in that Smash canon tournament Ike is unable to be harmed by weapons not blessed by Ashera or Yune. I don't recall him ever obtaining blessed armor, like the Black Knight's armor in Path of Radiance, as the Ragnel alone isn't enough to keep him from being harmed by other weapons. That dun make sense to me. :C

Top Bottom