• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMASH BUFFER - WAVE DI, WAVE SHUFFLE, WAVE DASH...

TrianglEYE

Smash Rookie
Whatsup I made some videos showing how powerful the smash stick has become since the most recent patch when utilizing a method I am calling SMASH BUFFER

These Techs may look like inputs you have seen before... but they feel different in your hands and the chances of you executing these techniques consistently are pretty high... i don't see many other ways to manually input 3xfoxtrot into a perfect pivot canceled with a shield that gets canceled by a roll...(0:04-0:08) https://youtu.be/0NqqxTEurQ4

With lucas coming out soon we are due for a patch and i figured id rush this video out before the patch so everyone gets a chance to play around with it they patch this stuff out...

some of the techs i present are silly and maybe useless...
some are absolutely game changing...

i purposefully made this video kinda bare bones... these things are only new ways to approach the fundamentals of the game... at the right times. in the right situations... for the right combos this can all have huge potential... but wave dashing into someone falcon punch wont win matches... ya dig?

SMASH BUFFER

wavedash, wavepivot, wave di, wave shuffle, ledge snap, unledge, pivot shield... and countless other options...

Part 1
https://youtu.be/VgTtmWP1yLU
Part 2
https://youtu.be/23HWIiDObFA
a small example of how some of these techniques can be strung together.
https://youtu.be/0NqqxTEurQ4

Last edited:

KirbydaBear

Smash Rookie
Sooo... just to clarify one thing
A "wave dash" is the term used to describe a mechanic in melee wherein air dodging into the ground allows a player to slide laglessly -- they can perform any move out of this slide, making it a phenomenal approach/defense option, and really a staple of competitive melee.
In Smash 4, air dodging into the ground results in extra frames of lag -- the exact opposite of the effect in melee!

It seems like what you term "wavedashing" in your first video is actually "foxtrotting," or initiating dashes repeatedly, such that one is in the initial dash animation at all times. You may have been confused by the fact that both melee wave-dashing and foxtrotting result in a "cloud of dust" animation behind the character, though if you look at a melee wavedash, you'll notice that the character is in fact sliding, not running.

Why are you calling it "wave dashing"? Like, seriously, why? I'm pretty sure that's just foxtrotting.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Fox-trotting

Wave pivoting is just... perfect pivoting across the stage?

What can "wave walking" do that just normal walking can't? I don't understand.

The crouching thing ("wave crouching?") has been known since Brawl. Isn't it just walking and crouching every couple of frames?

Smash buffering is C-stick buffering, which has also been know for a while and I'm pretty sure has been discussed in multiple threads before.

You're demonstrating short hopped airdodges?....

seriously tho why did you stick "wave" into every name

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Yeah, not to be rude or anything I honestly thought i was missing something. Nothing 'wave' about this, and i was informed of this the day the patch came out and even then its kinda pointless to use it.

Except when your waiting for your opponent to respawn haha. G'day ^-^/

Last edited:

TrianglEYE

Smash Rookie
I would argue they are wave dashes... or at least the closest thing you can possibly get in smash 4. The reason i would argue this is wave dashing is because the TRUE definition of what it takes to have a wave dash is that the initial dash needs to be canceled in a way that allows for any other input to be put in...

when doing this technique your smash.stick cancels the initial input of your L stick... which resets it to input anything else... you can use these techniques to preform anything out of the dash series without fear of dash attacking... while also always being ready to throw how a perfect pivot into a shield.

THE WAVE DI IS ENOUGH OF A REASON FOR THIS THREAD IT IS POWERFUL

WAVE SHUFFLE IS AMAZING FOR GETTING OUT OF ALL KINDS OF COMBOS/SITUATIONS

Wave dashing is only useful if you master how to wave into pivots and shields or utilize the smash.stick to force certain actions.

take it or leave it guys... this is stuff that only makes sense when you do it yourself on the wii u version.

what may LOOK like fox trotting does not always act exactly how foxtrotting works and not feel in your hands the way you think it does. if you want to be impatient skip to video two.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
These things already have names. There is literally no need to rename them. Also lol at adding wave into everything. Wavedashing was called wavedashing because it was kind of similar in appearance and application to the term used in games like Marvel, which predate Melee.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I would argue they are wave dashes... or at least the closest thing you can possibly get in smash 4. The reason i would argue this is wave dashing is because the TRUE definition of what it takes to have a wave dash is that the initial dash needs to be canceled in a way that allows for any other input to be put in...

when doing this technique your smash.stick cancels the initial input of your L stick... which resets it to input anything else... you can use these techniques to preform anything out of the dash series without fear of dash attacking... while also always being ready to throw how a perfect pivot into a shield.

Wave dashing is only useful if you master how to wave into pivots and shields or utilize the smash.stick to force certain actions.

take it or leave it guys... this is stuff that only makes sense when you do it yourself on the wii u version.

what may LOOK like fox trotting does not always act exactly how foxtrotting works and not feel in your hands the way you think it does. if you want to be impatient skip to video two.
This is wave dashing m8:

What you're doing is foxtrotting:

Wave Walking is useless. Only those who don't think, thinks it's useful. That whole "buffer" thing is just fast-falling and do a shield and a dash. Like I said, not very useful.

And guess what? This is Sm4sh, not Melee. Which means learning tricks that look like it wasn't meant to be there in the first place is a big waste of time.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a troll thread.

Last edited:

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
I've been speculating that. The joke thread meta has evolved.
come on, give the guy a chance. at least he's trying to push the meta/contribute to the community.

@ T TrianglEYE i'm pretty sure not many people will try to learn this tech (full disclosure: myself included, especially since the button reassignment will really mess with 'normal' configurations), so if you really think it's as useful as you say, you should master it and start dominating tourneys/majors with it. haters can't argue with results. like, for example, if you can get real gameplay vids of it effectively destroying sheik's fair/ftilt approach, i think you will gain recognition quickly. good luck!

EDIT: i really did dislike the 'wave' naming thing though... that's something i would discourage.

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
come on, give the guy a chance. at least he's trying to push the meta/contribute to the community. @ T TrianglEYE i'm pretty sure not many people will try to learn this tech (full disclosure: myself included, especially since the button reassignment will really mess with 'normal' configurations), so if you really think it's as useful as you say, you should master it and start dominating tourneys/majors with it. haters can't argue with results. like, for example, if you can get real gameplay vids of it effectively destroying sheik's fair/ftilt approach, i think you will gain recognition quickly. good luck!

EDIT: i really did dislike the 'wave' naming thing though... that's something i would discourage.
I actually said why most of these are useless in one of my posts.

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
I actually said why most of these are useless in one of my posts.
i know. i was talking to trianglEYE, saying that he should push this tech and win tourneys with it if he really thinks it's so useful. i'll edit my post to be more clear.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Sooo... just to clarify one thing
A "wave dash" is the term used to describe a mechanic in melee wherein air dodging into the ground allows a player to slide laglessly
It seems like what you term "wavedashing" in your first video is actually "foxtrotting," or initiating dashes repeatedly
Why are you calling it "wave dashing"? Like, seriously, why? I'm pretty sure that's just foxtrotting.

seriously tho why did you stick "wave" into every name
The term "wave dash" came about before Melee back with Marvel vs Capcom 2.:
Since tapping down can stop your dash and you can dash the very next frame after tapping down you can do them over and over to get through the whole stage very quickly (if you’re character doesn’t already have a full-screen dash). This ability is called wave-dashing. It is used to get to one point of the screen that is normally not accessible if you were to dash and walk or dash and attempt a move. Even those characters who hop when they dash have the ability to wave-dash. For some reason when they do this and there is an attack already put out on the floor they can hop over it even if they wave-dash!
source
The reason why the word "wave" is stuck in there is because if you look at the animation of the dash it looks like a wave of water. This is similar to the "dust" in Smash - any form of horizontal movement that creates a wave of particle effects is a "wave dash".
So, yes, this is wave dashing in its true sense, but would be overlooked by most of the Smash Community thinking it came about with Melee and must have specific Melee-like qualities.

Wave Dashing is a real thing in SSBU, but I doubt the context will come through on Smashboards, which is why this "wave dash" really isn't being widely accepted, which is a shame since it does actually come into good, competitive use if one gets past the wave dash preconceptions.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Sorry man, I know you wanted to come in and revolutionize the comp scene but it's been said before all this stuff is old news.
Most of them really aren't even that practical in high level play, the small amount of space created in between each PP along with the breakneck pace and precise input this tech requires really make them not that useful just walk and be careful with your movements. Sure as a mixup once in a while it can work, but in the end you should probably just go for a grab.
Simplicity is something I'd like to keep this game close to, not every Smash needs to require extraordinary inputs.

I don't think I want to hear the word wave for a couple days......:(

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Obvious nomenclature issues aside, I've been mulling this stuff over in my head and I think it's brilliant

LightLV

Smash Ace
smash 4 sure is thirsty for some ATs.

Look, im sure Sakurai was so terrified by what Melee and (especially) brawl had become that he combed this game's physics hard enough to not leave anything particularly exploitable in. I really wish people would quit doing this.

Shozaku

Smash Rookie
smash 4 sure is thirsty for some ATs.

Look, im sure Sakurai was so terrified by what Melee and (especially) brawl had become that he combed this game's physics hard enough to not leave anything particularly exploitable in. I really wish people would quit doing this.
By "I really wish people would quit doing this" you mean sakurai combing game physics, I would agree if I didn't play Gunz Online (double half half step anyone?). If not, then ignore this post and carry on. :3

Edit: Video for reference

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

Wave DI isn't letting me survive any longer out of Up-Throws or moves of Horizontal Knockback, I will try to use it to escape multi-hits but I think it doesn't really help as much as DI + Vectoring does.

Also I don't notice ANY change in fallspeed unless you mean the ability to activate and deactivate Fast Fall without inputting an attack. Normally you can already activate Fast Falling without inputting an attack so the only new thing would be the ability to deactivate it without. But then again you need to be pressing both attack and special before you can do this so in a way you're already performing an attack at some point.

I get this is a much easier way to perform Fox Trots, Perfect Pivots, Trot Dancing and do any combination of the previous 3 for movement purposes, but is there anything unique this allows us to do? Like is there anything that this allows us to do that can't be done with just practice with 1 stick?

Last edited:

Kronos2560

Smash Apprentice
This reject came posting this dumb crap on my community's board a little over a week ago.

I ask the smashboards community to please, please hold nothing back. Destroy this once and for all.

P.S. For those who think this might be a joke, it's not. He is dead bleeping serious.

Genclops

Smash Rookie
This reject came posting this dumb crap on my community's board a little over a week ago.

I ask the smashboards community to please, please hold nothing back. Destroy this once and for all.

P.S. For those who think this might be a joke, it's not. He is dead bleeping serious.
I dare you to challenge him to a mega man ditto

LightLV

Smash Ace
By "I really wish people would quit doing this" you mean sakurai combing game physics, I would agree if I didn't play Gunz Online (double half half step anyone?). If not, then ignore this post and carry on. :3

Edit: Video for reference

GunZ is probably both the best and worst example of unintentional design gone bad.

The developers fixed the glitches in GunZ that allowed the Kstyle emergent gameplay, but the community cried so hard that they just reverted the changes and stopped trying to fix anything. Instead of them fixing the glitches and designing systems that allow similar gameplay without being a decoherent mess (see your video above), they just gave up.

GunZ doesn't even slightly resemble a real game with rules, it's literally just a mass of glitches. It's okay for a game to evolve past what you intended, but when you just let it run wild like that, you just create an alienating mess.

Last edited:
Top Bottom