• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brothers Brawl Tournament Kihei, Hawaii

Kite216

Smash Cadet
I'm starting up a tournament on Maui Hawaii on the 9th of January since not too many people seem to have tournaments here on Maui. This is going to be my first tournament to hold so we arent going to be allowed to have too many people enter

I'm going to have an entry fee so that the people who win can have some kind of prize they can look forward to, since i can't afford a trophy or anything like that. The prize money is going to be divided into 2/3 to first place or first place team in the case of the teams tournament, and 1/3 second place/ second place team. I will be posting the rules soon after this post and feel free to ask any question or add any comments you want in this thread ^_^

armalite

Smash Rookie
lol i'm in lahaina. i give you mad props for hosting a tourney on maui. me and a few people are interested in going.

would you mind telling me the ruleset you're going to be using?

Kite216

Smash Cadet
Well I don't have the rules right on me at the moment since I forgot them at a friends house but a few of the general ones are that its going to be 3 stock, no time limit since we are going to be starting in the morning im expecting that we will have enough time for all the matches, if we really need a time limit though we might throw one in. Some people might get really pissed off about this but Metaknight is going to be banned, after a lot of debate on the issue >.< sorry . and also team attack is going to be set to off for the teams tournament, mainly because there are a lot of people who run a game + watch and pikachu / energy using character and just fill up the bucket using team attack then one shot everyone. Other than these rules I'll see if I can get my copy of the rules soon and post it up here. A lot of the rules were taken from the reccomended rules list on these forums

Kite216

Smash Cadet
also if this tournament seems to go well we are planning on probably having another one, and maybe even start up an annual event

Kite216

Smash Cadet
Super Smash Brothers: Brawl (singles and doubles)

General rules:

* 3 Stock

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets are best of 3, best of 5 for finals.

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* Metaknight is banned as in most large tournaments..

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Stage Lists

TOs must move stages from the starter/counterpick into either the starter or counterpick categories and must move stages from counterpick/banned into either the counterpick or banned categories.

Stages in the Starter/Counter and Counter/Banned list did not receive 2/3 majority, and therefore you are given the option to put those stages in either category, as we did not come to a consensus on it.

The SBR Recommended rule list uses the stage striking system. In this system, players take turns striking stages from the starter list until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counterpicked later in the set. There must be an odd number of starter stages.

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counter

Delfino
Brinstar
Pokémon Stadium 1
Corneria
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Green Greens

All other stages are considered banned.

Additional Rules for Double's Play

* Life Stealing is allowed

* Set team attack to OFF

* Resolving Ties: Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock, and then percents. If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock overttime or the sudden death will be played out. The TO needs to decide which of these will be used before the tournament. Bowser's suicide klaw is exempt from this rule.

* Wiimotes and Classic Controller users should know to take the batteries out of their controllers after finishing a set; not only will this save battery life, but it prevents accidental intereference and delay for tournament matches.

* Pirated copies of Brawl or modded Wii consoles will not be used for tournament matches.

* The Mages DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is two minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After six minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set.

Notes

PLAYERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR KNOWING THE RULES. IF YOU BREAK ONE YOU MAY BE DQ'D

armalite

Smash Rookie
no time limit since we are going to be starting in the morning im expecting that we will have enough time for all the matches, if we really need a time limit though we might throw one in.
i don't see why you wouldn't set a time limit. better to set the rules before a tournament starts than to do so during the tournament. this is brawl, matches can last long especially in a tournament where people are willing to camp because they are PLAYING TO WIN.

and also team attack is going to be set to off for the teams tournament, mainly because there are a lot of people who run a game + watch and pikachu / energy using character and just fill up the bucket using team attack then one shot everyone.
lol. do you know hard it is for a GW and pika to fill up a bucket in an actual match against compentent people who just don't stand there and let them do it? if they're able to fill up a bucket then thats the opponent's fault for being so stupid to allow it so easily. setting team attack off is silly, setting team attack off because of GW and pika is just ridiculous.

Metaknight is banned as in most large tournaments.
point out a "large" tournament outside of italy where he is, US preferably.

i don't understand your counterpick stage selection either but oh well. this is your tournament and you can choose to run it however you want despite how much i disagree with some of you decisions.

i don't know if i'll be attending but i had a few more questions.
how many setups (TVs/Wiis/etc.) will you have?
are you going to be doing pools, round robin, or just brackets (single/double elimination)?

Phase808

Smash Rookie
i'm up in kula, but i just saw this, and that's not enough time for me to get ready for this.

Kite216

Smash Cadet
I know my rules are a bit off, but once again it is our first tournament and we just want to see how this works out. If it goes well we'll probably have another one and we'll fix some of the rules/ problems we had last time. Currently we have one TV and one projector but were hoping for at least one more TV. but we definately have enough Wiis and I think enough controllers too. Anyways were not expecting too many people since I got in touch with a few people today and they had to cancel.

Also , Phase808 sorry I set this up on such short notice

zangetsu 321

Smash Rookie
hey kite, so can we sign up for both the team doubles and single play or only sign up for 1 of each?

zangetsu 321

Smash Rookie
hey kite, so can we sign up for both the team doubles and single play or only sign up for 1 of each?

Kite216

Smash Cadet
It went pretty well, we had about 15 people play which was a pretty decent ammount for just our first tournament. We're probably going to have anther one in about 2 weeks except without an entry fee this time that way more people can join in

Phase808

Smash Rookie
thats pretty cool. i would go, but im gonna be pretty busy for the rest of this month because of school, plus i have judo season coming up. another problem im gonna be having is getting down there.

Top Bottom