• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Smash Bros Wii U worth buying without pro controller?

angeluszero

Smash Rookie
I was planning on buying the game today but then after reading reviews i realize that everyone is saying the game must be played with a gamecube controller or with a Wii U pro controller. I know the game supports the Wiimote and nunchuck but everyone is saying they suck.

is it really that bad? Why would they make a game in 2014 that requires a controller made 13 years ago and that has been discontinued? Makes no sense to me.

So my question really is, should i buy the game if all i have is the wiimote and nunchucks? I am not spending extra cash for the wii pro or any other controllers. If the game is unplayable with the wiimote then i rather pass.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
wiimote+nunchuk is OK especially on a casual level, but it's best played on a wii u pro or gcn controller, imo. in the end it boils down to preference, and i actually had gotten quite accustomed to the wiimote+nunchuk combination back in brawl's early days... but it's just harder to short-hop with it because the c button is such a deep button to press and the buttons are all in such different places it takes a bit of work to get them all unmuddled. eventually i switched back to the gcn controller because the button placement is more natural and i could short hop consistently. (i don't actually have smashU yet because it's not out in my region, but i have been playing the 3DS version a ton and the wii U pro controller is essentially the same button layout as the 3DS)

if you are very casual and things like "short-hopping" don't matter that much to you (or don't mean anything to you whatsoever) then honestly it doesn't matter because you'll be able to get used to any control setup.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Of course! It's super fun no matter what controller you use, as long as said controller is comfortable to you personally. If you like the feel of the Wiimote + Nunchuk (or have played Brawl with that control scheme and you enjoyed it), then go for it!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Buy the game now if you want it, you'll still have plenty of fun, but I recommend investing in a Pro Controller or GC controller adapter whenever you can, so it will be even more fun.

Some people do actually prefer the Nunchuck altogether though. Maybe that will happen for you.

angeluszero

Smash Rookie
Buy the game now if you want it, you'll still have plenty of fun, but I recommend investing in a Pro Controller or GC controller adapter whenever you can, so it will be even more fun.

Some people do actually prefer the Nunchuck altogether though. Maybe that will happen for you.

It's what it thought. It's just that most reviewers make it sound as if you can't really play with anything else but the pro controller or gamecube controller. But from asking in other forums too i found out that some people are just as good with the wiimote and have been using it since brawl.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My brother preferred the Nunchunk in Brawl, as did a friend of mine. Another person I know preferred the Wiimote, and they all played fine.

I've tried both myself in the past, and I didn't mind them. I just use the GC controller since I prefer it and it is readily available. If Wiimotes were the only controllers available in a friend's house, I'd use them. Smash is Smash.

Heck, I've even found that PS3 controllers work well for Smash, and I used to play it on a keyboard. :p

angeluszero

Smash Rookie
My brother preferred the Nunchunk in Brawl, as did a friend of mine. Another person I know preferred the Wiimote, and they all played fine.

I've tried both myself in the past, and I didn't mind them. I just use the GC controller since I prefer it and it is readily available. If Wiimotes were the only controllers available in a friend's house, I'd use them. Smash is Smash.

Heck, I've even found that PS3 controllers work well for Smash, and I used to play it on a keyboard. :p

Lol back in the days i used to use a keyboard to play fighting games like KOF. I got so good at it too that there was nothing i couldnt do on a keyboard that i could to with a controller or joystick.

Semopo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0688-6533-6002
I was planning on buying the game today but then after reading reviews i realize that everyone is saying the game must be played with a gamecube controller or with a Wii U pro controller. I know the game supports the Wiimote and nunchuck but everyone is saying they suck.

is it really that bad? Why would they make a game in 2014 that requires a controller made 13 years ago and that has been discontinued? Makes no sense to me.

So my question really is, should i buy the game if all i have is the wiimote and nunchucks? I am not spending extra cash for the wii pro or any other controllers. If the game is unplayable with the wiimote then i rather pass.

90% are kids riding the bandwagon when they say OMGZ GC CONTROLLER. It's a nice feeling having one, especially if you've played melee/gamecube, but the pro controller is just as good, wiimote and nunchuk will work too

You'll have to adjust, tho

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
I'm using a classic controller pro until i get a gc i have been doing fun and having fun.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Been thriving on the gamepad and 2ds and I can't deal with the pro controller at all, so to each his own I suppose

haxfactory

Always in the lab
NNID
thehaxfactory
3DS FC
1779-3108-5319
Switch FC
SW-1200-3583-4733
I have been bodying kids on the Gamepad. I don't have a Pro controller anymore or I would have used that. Waiting for the adapter to go back in stock to use Gamecube controllers. You can play just fine on the Gamepad it takes a bit of getting used to though.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
You originally posted this in November so I'm sure you already know what I'm about to say, but the game plays just fine with the Wiimote and Nunchuck. Just make sure to map your buttons to your liking.

genesis_SOC

Smash Cadet
NNID
genesis_SOC
Smash isn't designed to be enjoyed on a casual level. You can certainly do well in most For Glory with any controller if you practice enough, but if you plan to win tournaments and be the best of the best then yeah you'll have to get a real controller.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Smash isn't designed to be enjoyed on a casual level.
Um... Yes it is?
Sakurai said:
I think the popularity of Melee rested fundamentally on the game’s speed. The dazzling exchange of skills was the game’s most exhilarating aspect and the rough edges in terms of the game’s balance went mostly unnoticed. Even though the dynamic range of the characters was limited, the game somehow made its mark, even with hardcore fans of the genre.
Melee’s controls were, however, quite complicated and very tiring if the player really got into it in a serious way. This made the game less accessible for novice players and it basically ended up becoming a Smash Bros. game for hardcore fighting fans. I personally regret that, because I originally intended the Smash Bros. series to be for players who couldn’t handle such highly skilled games.
From this page.

Last edited:
Top Bottom