• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. Reboot Veteran Roster Concept

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Smash Bros. gets rebooted. It embraces the idea of being a gaming all-star rather than just a Nintendo all-star with a few guests. Here are your returning fighters. Each would be reworked to some capacity. Also I went for a "only one per franchise" rule to to make it so that as many franchises and universes could be added as possible. What do you think?
Smash Reboot.png

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Why would you put Banjo and Bayonetta in a proper "gaming all-stars" game? And why would you cut Duck Hunt if you're prioritising the most major Nintendo franchises?

Last edited:

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Why would you put Banjo and Bayonetta in a proper "gaming all-stars" game? And why would you cut Duck Hunt if you're prioritising the most major Nintendo franchises?
The goal was to bring back every guest series that's already been in Smash as a jumping off point. Duck Hunt was considered but Shulk took his place as the Smash 4 rep.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Why would you put Banjo and Bayonetta in a proper "gaming all-stars" game?
I don't really believe in the "Gaming All-Stars" approach either, not by a longshot, but I'd defend this decision on the front of Smash 64 adding someone like Ness to their "Nintendo All-Stars" celebration. By the basic philosophy of Smash Bros there is gonna be room for a few oddballs among titans. Of course this would be likely to be counteracted by Master Chief and Arle / Kiryu / whoever respectively once newcomers are added and become more novel by proxy.

I think the pruned Nintendo side is pretty decent although nowadays I think Olimar should probably be in there. Not sure if I'd advocate for any of the others being cut in his stead but Pikmin has definitely climbed up to being one of Nintendo's more prominent brands, probably about as much or moreso than most of the ones in tact here. And I'd maybe contest Yoshi a bit too, mainly if there isn't room for someone like Luigi or Peach. In a greater context like this I think he's closer to just being a Mario character than he is a "Yoshi" character, which is not that notorious of a series (even compared to Luigi's Mansion).

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
An interesting concept here.

I do question the amount of third parties considering it's half of the roster from this alone. While there's no denying this is a solid 30, I would've upped it a bit by adding the following...

Duck Hunt Dog - One of the very first Nintendo characters
Little Mac - I mean....It's Punch-Out and gives more retro rep
Min Min - More of a recent rep towards the Switch's era
Mr. Game & Watch - Classic retro rep
Wario - He, like DK and Yoshi, branched out into his own series. Gotta put one of Mario's rivals in it
Olimar - The lack of Pikmin reps is surprising. And his series is doing well. Add him in it

Give a decent 36 in total.

Personally, I feel both of them are solid choices for this. It's more than just about gaming all-stars, but how much they impacted the gaming industry as a whole

Last edited:

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
An interesting concept here.

I do question the amount of third parties considering it's half of the roster from this alone. While there's no denying this is a solid 30, I would've upped it a bit by adding the following...

Duck Hunt Dog - One of the very first Nintendo characters
Little Mac - I mean....It's Punch-Out and gives more retro rep
Min Min - More of a recent rep towards the Switch's era
Mr. Game & Watch - Classic retro rep
Wario - He, like DK and Yoshi, branched out into his own series. Gotta put one of Mario's rivals in it
Olimar - The lack of Pikmin reps is surprising. And his series is doing well. Add him in it

Give a decent 36 in total.

Personally, I feel both of them are solid choices for this. It's more than just about gaming all-stars, but how much they impacted the gaming industry as a whole
I definitely like your additional choices! I'd also add R.O.B. in there too if they launched with enough veterans.

Pupp135

Smash Champion
Smash Bros. gets rebooted. It embraces the idea of being a gaming all-star rather than just a Nintendo all-star with a few guests. Here are your returning fighters. Each would be reworked to some capacity. Also I went for a "only one per franchise" rule to to make it so that as many franchises and universes could be added as possible. What do you think?
View attachment 393687
I think the idea of an SSB Reboot seems like an interesting concept in terms of gameplay changes and moveset overhauls for fighters like Mario, Link, and Samus. I disagree with the lack of secondary characters and the high third party retention, but this would be a pretty strong lineup with having major players across the board and some less prominent fan favorites. For fun, I’ll make a 30 character reboot attempt. I’ll try to add DLC later.
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdk::ultyoshi:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultpit::ultmarth::ultfalcon:
:ultkirby:(Bandana Waddle Dee):ultfox::ultpikachu::ultcharizard:(Tinkaton)
:ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultolimar::ultshulk::ultinkling:(Off the Hook)
:ultminmin:ultpacman::ultryu::ultmegaman::ultsonic::ultmiifighters:
I’m sure that the original 8 argument will still hold weight, and Captain Falcon and Pit are too intertwined with SSB where I cannot imagine cutting them.
I’ll add relevant franchises that would be pushed, which at the bare minimum would be Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Xenoblade, and Splatoon. I’m not invested in ARMS, but I think having a character from here does help it refrain from just being a mere list of gaming icons.
For third parties, I think the base SSBFor ones + Ryu is solid enough.
For supplemental fighters, I’ll start with what would be the bare essentials: Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Zelda, the other one of Villager/Isabelle, and Charizard. Squirtle and Ivysaur would be reluctant cuts from time constraints in this scenario.
I want to add a few new fighters, so here is where a Pop Idol duo, a promotional pokemon, and Bandana Waddle Dee come in.
I think a new Mii fighter idea can emerge from here.

Top Bottom