• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. Pet Peeve?

KGgames

Smash Cadet
NNID
MitsySueG24
What is your Smash Bros. Pet Peeve?
I hate it when newcomers use :4kirby: and spam the stone...
I know... I know... its easy to dodge and all but I think its infuriating to get KOed by a falling stone...

I also hate one-move spammers...

Last edited:

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
  • That there isn't a way to keep your profile pre-select through-out the system while playing by yourself.
  • That there wasn't a big focus to communicate which custom special moves were selected before versus matches.
  • That there isn't a way to quick-select special moves in the Character Select screen.
  • That regular / 8-player smash are two options, and not combined (with some sort of resizing controller GUI).
  • That the menu buttons for gamemodes that are both single/co-op/versus are seperated out in the layout.
  • That the Credits Vers 2 track isn't available for Wii U's menu.
  • That there isn't some kind of interactive tutorial that can be played with multiple people, to get them up to speed quickly, instead of a video where all the instructions go by real fast.
  • That in Classic / All-Star mode, I can't see which character I've unlocked the trophy for (since I might play it in co-op).
  • That I can't smelt down trophies that I have more then one of into some small amount of GOLD DOLLERS.
All this and more, when I start filming my video essay review thing on Smash 4.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
The fact that certain Miis can only use certain costumes. Maybe I wanted to use a Steampunk Swordfighter.

Last edited:

TheDerek

Smash Rookie
People who legitimately run away during matches really bog down the whole experience of For Glory for me.

If I wanted to chase you for 5 minutes, I would play Mario Kart (which I am not great at.)

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Backslash-spamming Shulks who make little to no attempt to use their Monado Arts aside from Buster.

D

Deleted member

People who run away and make you chase them because they're scared, as well as those For Glory Toon/Links that run to the opposite side of the stage and spam projectiles.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Lots of "high-tier" characters tend to bother me, especially:4falcon::4pikachu::4fox::4yoshi::4luigi:and:4ness:. There are 52 characters to choose from, you could at least try a new character for once instead of going with one who hasn't changed a bit in 4 (or 5, maybe?) games. (Mario gets a dishonorable mention because he actually changed a bit in Brawl.)

Also, the notion that people who use zoning characters are cowards who are too "scared" to "fight like a man" and play a "good" fighter (I'm looking at you, Falcon mains) is just laughably stupid. Seriously, just stop complaining and adapt your playstyle according to what your opponent is doing. Even if the opponent has the matchup over you, it's far from impossible, especially when most zoning characters (Bowser Jr., Samus, Pac-Man) aren't even considered good.

Rage is a mechanic I'm really not a fan of. It essentially gives a player who's being tanked a free comeback chance, which is borderline robbery from the "best man" who would've won otherwise. Lucario's easily the worst offender. Freakin' aura buff...

also lag

Last edited:

AK47Productions

Smash Rookie
The fact that Miis can only use certain costumes and that I could edit other attacks besides the smashes and no choosing your own taunt.

As for the music, what is up with the DK Rap? Its cut off for absolutely no reason. Dammit that track has been with me since I started playing SSB during Melee just dosen't seem right that something so nostalgic is messed with like that.

AlextheTwin

Smash Cadet
The whole menu in the game and UI in general just drives me nuts.

The layout is horrible, why not reduce the screens and consolidate everything? Put it in list form. Navigating it for new players is like a maze. I know it may not look as cool but a straight down list would be a lot more user friendly.

Also -

1) "Home" button isn't supported hardly at all! Drives me nuts. To get out of the game you often have to reverse back to the intro screen.

2) Replays don't support rewind or fast forward <---- so incredibly annoying

3) No way to upload or stream gameplay easily

4) No way to change the default profile setting. Having to reselect your gamertag every time is stupid.

5) No way to change the default in smash mode from "timed" to "stock". Have to reselect it every time and go through loading screens.

6) Having to hold the "B" button to go back instead of it instantly going back

7) Why in the world don't any of the menus have touchscreen support on the wii u gamepad? Absolutely no excuse for that Nintendo.

Also, why oh why can we only play omega stages in 1v1 For Glory? It encourages camping and gets really boring

Last edited:

Mintcario

uwu
NNID
Mintcario
Why oh why can't the game just save the name-tag that you just previously used as well as the costumes?

I don't know how many times I've started up a match accidentally using standard controls because I didn't choose a tag and did horribly. (つ﹏<)・゚。

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The last colour used on my character not being saved. It's one of my favourite features of the 3DS version, and while it's a minor thing, it strikes me as bizarre that it doesn't exist in the technically superior version.

tru.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
  • Duckhunt/Link campers
  • Single-move spammers
  • Unbearable lag on For Glory
  • Dying at absurdly low percentages
  • Being punished by Sing/Rest (Jigglypuff)
  • Being dittoed on For Glory
  • Master Core's sword form
  • Fox's voice

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Many elements about this particular version of Smash are pet peeves for me. Off the top of my head, here are some of the worst offenders:

1. Replays do not allow descriptions to use more than five digits. Why?! I am forced to use some lookalike digits (ohs for zeroes, capital i's or lowercase L's for ones, etc.) just so I can describe my high scores.

2. Replays cannot be saved onto SD cards. I hit my limit of 230 replays on the console just recently. Brawl allowed 1000 replays at a time to be offloaded to SD. I can only hope a future update resolves this, because this is a downgrade from Brawl.

3. Mii fighters cannot be used online outside of friend matches. At least give us an option to use generic faces!

4. GameCube controllers aren't supported for the demo games in Masterpieces.

5. GameCube controllers can bring up the Help menu and test custom stages, but cannot exit.

6. Menu selections always rumble (unless you unplug the gray USB wire to disable rumble from GameCube controllers altogether.)

7. Ghey-mer stage.

I'm sure I am forgetting others.

Input lag on for glory
Agreed 100%. I'd say roughly one in every four matches with random people have 500 ms input lag. Yes, I am literally watching my moves execute half a second later (or worse!) even on a traditional tube TV. Brawl had its share of choppy matches, but never ever did it suffer the ridiculous input lag that Smash 4 has. I rarely play online outside of friend matches because of this horrendous flaw.

The whole menu in the game and UI in general just drives me nuts.

The layout is horrible, why not reduce the screens and consolidate everything? Put it in list form. Navigating it for new players is like a maze. I know it may not look as cool but a straight down list would be a lot more user friendly.
Melee definitely did this right. Sure it wasn't as "pretty" but it was much more intuitive, seeing the next level of menus at a moment's glance. One would think that menus would at least be tappable on the Gamepad, a la Kart 8....

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Here are some others to add:

8. There is no option to allow custom move sets without equipment. All my customized fighters are designed for solo offline play. When I play matches online with friends, if they allow custom fighters, I have no means of turning off auto-heal and other bonus effects. Thus, we learned quickly to never enable them, so I mostly resort to using Mii fighters.

9. There are no co-op modes online anymore! This is a HUGE downgrade from Brawl.

Advance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlmaVulpix
3DS FC
0877-0828-1646
When I can't land a kill move I just get really thirsty and mad.

Crashfan1ooo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crashfan1ooo
3DS FC
1650-3196-2381
It really bugs me that the Wii U version doesn't save the costume that you used last. I really like that little feature in the 3DS version and don't understand why it's not in the Wii U version.

BriefCasey795

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AwesomeCasey
3DS FC
4382-2575-1384
Well, I got some complaints myself even though I love this game. There are others that took the words out of my mouth, but I'll list some of my own. I really hope a future update can fix these:
  • They swapped the shield and grab buttons for the Pro Controller in the final game. (As someone who played the Best Buy demo, ZL and ZR were shield, and L and R were grab.) It's abysmal in the final game and they should have kept it like they did in the demo. Doesn't help that the Gamepad's control scheme is the same, but what's worse is how the buttons are designed. That makes me pity Gamepad users.
  • That being said, you can't set a default control scheme, it's infuriating when you waste gold/passes on high difficulty Classic Mode/Crazy Orders runs just because you forgot to set your name.
  • If you exit classic mode or any other single player mode, it closes your player window and you have to reselect not only your character, but your name, costume, and custom set (if you have one) too. The past games didn't do that, and that can increase the risk of doing the mistake in the second flaw I mentioned. Plus, it's time consuming.
  • The fact that your costumes are not saved is understandable given this is a home console game, but I do wish you could save them if you had a name on you.
  • You can't transfer names like you could in Brawl. That makes setting up your control scheme at a tournament a hassle. Plus, you could also use your 3DS to store your names.
  • Wario didn't get another set of 8 costumes for overalls Wario, but Little Mac did for Wireframe mac. I can't help but scratch my head at that.
  • Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Diddy Kong STILL use animal sounds where their tradtional sounds would have fit perfectly in this game, but what I scratch my head about is that Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings get their traditional voices, yet Bowser himself doesn't. Honestly, the animal sounds don't fit with the game's art style. Doesn't help that the aforementioned trio look almost exactly like they do in traditional games. (Especially DK.)
  • The Star Fox characters' voices. I know someone made this remark, but I'm gonna give my two cents. It just doesn't fit with them. I know they were trying to call back to Star Fox 64 3D, but the voices (Especially Fox) don't sound as good as they used to. Honestly, Jim Walker (his Assault and Brawl VA) was the best, same could be said about Dex Manley for Falco and Peppy, and Slippy's Assault VA. In my opinion they all match the personalities. Would have been better if they got the Brawl cast back together and have Jim and Dex record new lines for the characters they voiced while they were at it.

Last edited:

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
Replays don't support rewind or fast forward as stated before

If you are too quick on zair after bombs with samus you airdodge (wtf? 2dangerous)

Lucarios, not that i think the character is too good or anything like that. But I allways want to kill the lucarios extra bad because of the rage+ aura combo, it makes me feel like its a character most kiddies use on 4glory.

Wold91

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wold91
- The difficulty in solo player (classic mode especially) can sometimes go from 0 to 900. It's unfair and frustrating.

- Classic mode this time around sucks.

- It is very obvious that they rushed the game to soon. No soloplayer campaign (I don't believe Sakurai's excuse regarding the cut scenes), the stages available in this game (Smashville AND Town and City? Really?), not so many new stages, and the awkvard decisions with the layout and the menus. The game was rushed, there is no denying.

- More options for the replays you have saved.

- No possibility to upload them to YouTube.

haydyn

Smash Cadet
the one player game could have been better, a small amount of great modes would have been better than a big amount of "meh" modes (looking at you smash tour).

:mewtwomelee:also containing mewtwo hype is a challenge:mewtwopm:

Meowjesty

Smash Rookie
Spammers. At first it worked on me because I didn't know how to react to spam but eventually I learned how to punish them like Kirbys spamming up / down B... I still can't punish roll spamming though ):

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
When I don't have enough breathing room on For Glory to tell my opponents that I'm really feeling it. 'Cause taunting while someone's respawning is unsportsmanlike.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Not being able to fast foward rewind or slow mo replays really pisses me off.

Also the fact that there is no good way to record those replays outside of a capture card or potato camera quality. As strange as it is the future of gaming is people watching other people play. Just look at lets plays, speed runs and streams. I think nintendo was foolish for not implementing some kind of share play feature(like the ps4 I know the hardware is vastly different but I'm sure it could have been done.) that could be used to directly upload clips to YouTube or something of that nature. Allowing us to easily show gameplay would only make the game more popular.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 commentators being fakely hyped for basic stuff and calling everything "Combos"
2v2 For glory not having team attack and stock.

Top Bottom