• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. Melee Remix

Brojito

Smash Rookie
Hey there!

Just wanted to post a remix I made of the legendary Menu Theme we all know and love. It's definitely one of my absolute favorite themes of all time.

I took a little bit of creative liberty with it, but I still think it sounds pretty good and I wanted too see if anyone would enjoy it as well. It may be a bit lengthy but I could listen to the original theme forever anyway :p

Tell me if it does the original any justice!

I can't post the full URL so here's the Youtube /watch link, or you can just go to my channel in the signature :)
/watch?v=hxMBunyH9G0

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
Your remix needs a mixdown. You should reduce the tail on the cymbal that comes in every second and fourth beat as it seems drawn out more than it really needs to be, thus not really giving any breathing room for when it repeats. The metal guitar needs a reduction in volume as well as EQing because it drowns out everything else. If I were you, I'd take the main melody and switch up the instrument so it's not just a guitar you're hearing throughout most of the track. You can't really hear the kick, either. Do what you will with it, that's just my input.

Brojito

Smash Rookie
Your remix needs a mixdown. You should reduce the tail on the cymbal that comes in every second and fourth beat as it seems drawn out more than it really needs to be, thus not really giving any breathing room for when it repeats. The metal guitar needs a reduction in volume as well as EQing because it drowns out everything else. If I were you, I'd take the main melody and switch up the instrument so it's not just a guitar you're hearing throughout most of the track. You can't really hear the kick, either. Do what you will with it, that's just my input.
Thanks for the input!
Yeah believe it or not I actually did reduce the tail on the cymbal from it's original sample, I probably could find a different one I have a lot to pick from. I see where you're coming from on the guitar maybe the fact that 8 minutes of it could get bland I'm big on rock so I have a hard time trying to gauge that sort of stuff. Thanks for listening :)

Uffe

Smash Hero
Thanks for the input!
Yeah believe it or not I actually did reduce the tail on the cymbal from it's original sample, I probably could find a different one I have a lot to pick from. I see where you're coming from on the guitar maybe the fact that 8 minutes of it could get bland I'm big on rock so I have a hard time trying to gauge that sort of stuff. Thanks for listening :)
I'm glad you took the criticism very well and didn't think that I was just attacking your remix. I noticed earlier that in your remix that the song starts to change up at 4:11. Personally, I'd reduce the length of the track, take the 4:11 part, and bring it down some, that way the track isn't too repetitive. I know the original is actually quite repetitive, though. For songs that are even one minute, it's kind of hard to come up with your own intro and outro while still trying to retain the concept of the original song. I came in this topic specifically because you said you had a Super Smash Bros. Melee remix, and recently, I've been transcribing Multi-Man Melee 1. So I like rock as well. xD Having a variation of different guitars isn't bad, but having each one play a certain section can really help improve a song if done correctly.

Anyway, how long have you been doing remixes? I started back in 2009 with the FL Studio demo and later on had a friend get me a full copy. I was very new to it and even today I have some trouble mixing, EQing and sometimes compressing my stuff. Recently, I've been treating each song I make like an orchestra, giving each instrument an important role rather than layering them all on each other, which isn't generally a bad thing, but separation kind of gives a bit more character, I think. But on the subject of layering, there isn't a problem with doing that with a kick drum or even a bassline. I know I'm rambling on.

Last edited:

Brojito

Smash Rookie
I'm glad you took the criticism very well and didn't think that I was just attacking your remix. I noticed earlier that in your remix that the song starts to change up at 4:11. Personally, I'd reduce the length of the track, take the 4:11 part, and bring it down some, that way the track isn't too repetitive. I know the original is actually quite repetitive, though. For songs that are even one minute, it's kind of hard to come up with your own intro and outro while still trying to retain the concept of the original song. I came in this topic specifically because you said you had a Super Smash Bros. Melee remix, and recently, I've been transcribing Multi-Man Melee 1. So I like rock as well. xD Having a variation of different guitars isn't bad, but having each one play a certain section can really help improve a song if done correctly.

Anyway, how long have you been doing remixes? I started back in 2009 with the FL Studio demo and later on had a friend get me a full copy. I was very new to it and even today I have some trouble mixing, EQing and sometimes compressing my stuff. Recently, I've been treating each song I make like an orchestra, giving each instrument an important role rather than layering them all on each other, which isn't generally a bad thing, but separation kind of gives a bit more character, I think. But on the subject of layering, there isn't a problem with doing that with a kick drum or even a bassline. I know I'm rambling on.
I would love to hear your remix of the multi-man :)

As for me, I've only been using FL studio for like a year and a half and this was my first real remix. I did a Pokemon remix recently but that was really just part of a song I made for my friend that I rapped over lol. I've been playing guitar for like 6 years now though which is where I get my intuition from.

Treating your songs like an orchestra is another way to go about because that's how these wonderful pieces were made in the first place. I'll probably try something like that more so next time for a better sense of grandeur. Something to keep in mind for the future, I got the itch to do a remix of the game corner theme from Pokemon GSC now :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom