• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Friendships

Is Dedede the main Kirby villain?

• No, he is a Hero

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but Dark Matter is the main villain

• Yes, he is

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I admit that Bayonetta and Dark Pit are a stretch but we have to give the villains a few toss-ups to make it fair. Metaknight could go either way as well.
Meta Knight definitely, but Bayo/Pittoo would probably need to be mind controlled or cloned (so a less edgy, female, and light colored Pit..so I guess Lady Pit)

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.
Obviously you are tired to your own opinion. I know Dedede teamed up with Kirby against World Destroying enemies but so did Bowser with Mario (Super Mario RPG & Super Paper Mario for example). Just because Dedede joins with Kirby to save his own hide doesn't make him a non-villain. If we ran a poll on who is Kirby's main enemy, I guarantee you Dedede would come out on top.
Well, Kirby does have a main enemy, you heard of Dark Matter? well here he is anyways.

Unlike Dedede, Dark Matter is actually evil, Dedede's dededeeds include ,stealing food twice, saving PopStar even more so and sometimes just sitting back and doing nothing. Dark Matter, spread hatred, attacks innocents, and most importantly to the discussion... possesses things, primarily Dedede, Dark Matter made Dedede do the evil deeds he has done in Dream Land 2/3 and 64, look it up it's canon.... and he's not the only character to use Dedede as a pawn, characters like Yin Yarn, and someone I won't spoil from a 2013 Kirby game have also took control of Dedede for malicious reasons.

Back to Dedede I got a little excerpt from the Kirby wikia.
"Nintendo has described Dedede as Kirby's "arch frenemy," and as he has helped more than harmed him since Kirby's Return to Dream Land, it is debated whether or not Dedede is an antagonist any longer." Basically Dedede is now more of a rival nowadays, he does good but still likes to compete with Kirby. heck in Super Star Ultra it's said that the Masked Dedede fight is to settle their differences once and for all, Dedede loses this and ever since then he's never done anything malicious.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well, Kirby does have a main enemy, you heard of Dark Matter? well here he is anyways.

Unlike Dedede, Dark Matter is actually evil, Dedede's dededeeds include ,stealing food twice, saving PopStar even more so and sometimes just sitting back and doing nothing. Dark Matter, spread hatred, attacks innocents, and most importantly to the discussion... possesses things, primarily Dedede, Dark Matter made Dedede do the evil deeds he has done in Dream Land 2/3 and 64, look it up it's canon.... and he's not the only character to use Dedede as a pawn, characters like Yin Yarn, and someone I won't spoil from a 2013 Kirby game have also took control of Dedede for malicious reasons.

Back to Dedede I got a little excerpt from the Kirby wikia.
"Nintendo has described Dedede as Kirby's "arch frenemy," and as he has helped more than harmed him since Kirby's Return to Dream Land, it is debated whether or not Dedede is an antagonist any longer." Basically Dedede is now more of a rival nowadays, he does good but still likes to compete with Kirby. heck in Super Star Ultra it's said that the Masked Dedede fight is to settle their differences once and for all, Dedede loses this and ever since then he's never done anything malicious.
The problem about the Kirby series is that their isn't a true recurring villain except maybe Dedede and half the time it is because he isn't in his right mind. The start of the series set Dedede up as the primary villain but Nintendo slowly has pushed him more into the good guy role which has created some inconsistency in his characters. Dark Matter is not well known enough or consistent enough to be a major villain. He has appeared in three games but only one of them is even remotely popular (Kirby 64). Kirby Adventures and Kirby Super Star are both far more popular games than any of Dark Matter's entries.

I still list him in the villain category. He is the selfish tyrant of dreamland. Yes he may side with Kirby against greater evils but that doesn't make him a good guy. Him and Bowser would fit together well.

You could take your arguments and basically eliminate all of the Nintendo villains in Smash except maybe Ganondorf and Ridley. Wario has played both the good guy and bad guy role. Bowser has done the same. Wolf has even teamed up with Star Fox before against a greater threat.

Last edited:

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The problem about the Kirby series is that their isn't a true recurring villain except maybe Dedede and half the time it is because he isn't in his right mind. The start of the series set Dedede up as the primary villain but Nintendo slowly has pushed him more into the good guy role which has created some inconsistency in his characters. Dark Matter is not well known enough or consistent enough to be a major villain. He has appeared in three games but only one of them is even remotely popular (Kirby 64). Kirby Adventures and Kirby Super Star are both far more popular games than any of Dark Matter's entries.

I still list him in the villain category. He is the selfish tyrant of dreamland. Yes he may side with Kirby against greater evils but that doesn't make him a good guy. Him and Bowser would fit together well.

You could take your arguments and basically eliminate all of the Nintendo villains in Smash except maybe Ganondorf and Ridley. Wario has played both the good guy and bad guy role. Bowser has done the same. Wolf has even teamed up with Star Fox before against a greater threat.
Actually Dark Matter has appeared in a lot more games than three, but those are the only games where he possesses Dedede, he appears in Mass Attack as a major boss and he also appears in.
Planet Robobot as a late game boss
Dark Nebula from Squeak Squad is also technically a form of Dark Matter, as is Dark Mind, Miracle Matter, and even freaking Gooey (although Gooey is a rare example of a good Dark Matter.)
There's also Void Termina, who takes on Dark Matter's form once it's on it's last legs
Sounds like he's a well established and heavily recurring character to me, you ask any actual fan of Kirby and they'll tell you Dark Matter is the main villain and Dedede is more of a wishywashy frenemy kinda guy.

The difference between Dedede and Bowser's cases is that Dedede is consistently a hero in modern Kirby games, he is one of the few Nintendo 'villains' that CONSISTENTLY does good, Bowser does good in like a few spinoff games, Dedede has done it in every god damn game in the series since his 'true defeat' in Super Star Ultra.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
:ultmegaman: & :ultrob: are both Robots.
:ultmegaman: & :ultsamus: are similar in some way.
:ultwiifittrainer: & :ultryu: : I can easily imagine them training together, that would looks funny
:ultkirby: & :ultjigglypuff: : No needs to explain why.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
:ultridley: and :ultwolf: I could see getting along in a similar manner to :ultbowser: and :ultganondorf:, since they're both ruthless space pirates who helped aid intergalactic threats (Mother Brain and Andross, respectively) in their conquests.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
:ultmegaman::ultmarth:All-loving Heroes
:ultvillager::ultness: Kids Next Door
:ultwario::ultolimar: Treasure Hunters
:ultwiifittrainer::ulticeclimbers: The Benefits Of Mountain Climbing
:ultbowserjr::ultinkling: Turf War
:ultpokemontrainer::ultridley: NOT a Pokemon!!!
:ultlittlemac::ultryu: Must Train Harder
:ultwolf::ultsamus: Hunter or Hunted?

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Actually Dark Matter has appeared in a lot more games than three, but those are the only games where he possesses Dedede, he appears in Mass Attack as a major boss and he also appears in.
Planet Robobot as a late game boss
Dark Nebula from Squeak Squad is also technically a form of Dark Matter, as is Dark Mind, Miracle Matter, and even freaking Gooey (although Gooey is a rare example of a good Dark Matter.)
There's also Void Termina, who takes on Dark Matter's form once it's on it's last legs
Sounds like he's a well established and heavily recurring character to me, you ask any actual fan of Kirby and they'll tell you Dark Matter is the main villain and Dedede is more of a wishywashy frenemy kinda guy.

The difference between Dedede and Bowser's cases is that Dedede is consistently a hero in modern Kirby games, he is one of the few Nintendo 'villains' that CONSISTENTLY does good, Bowser does good in like a few spinoff games, Dedede has done it in every god damn game in the series since his 'true defeat' in Super Star Ultra.
Again I disagree. Most people consider King Dedede to be a villain. The reason that I posted the Newgrounds link was to show the perception among most people. That is a highly popular video made by a collaboration of several artists. They clearly mark Dedede as a villain in the vein of Ganondorf and Bowser. Run a poll on here. That would be a great test.

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
Again I disagree. Most people consider King Dedede to be a villain. The reason that I posted the Newgrounds link was to show the perception among most people. That is a highly popular video made by a collaboration of several artists. They clearly mark Dedede as a villain in the vein of Ganondorf and Bowser. Run a poll on here. That would be a great test.
Ok i shall do it, a minor part of the Nintendo comminuty may not give us the best outlook but it's something... as soon as i find out how to a poll anyways...

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
Ok i did the poll you asked for and everyone who voted except for one person said he's a good guy now.. the other one said he's a bit all over the place.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
:ultfalco::ultdarkpit: Too cool for school
:ultmewtwo::ultryu: Seeking Stronger Opponents
:ultyoshi::ultkirby: Lazy Days
:ultryu::ultmario: Ryu &... Ken?
:ultbowser::ultridley: Brute Force Bros
:ultzelda::ultrobin Wisdom in Light & Shade

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I see the blue team up of :ultlucina:, :ultmetaknight:, and :ultlucario:. Lucina would challenge the great sword fighter Metaknight to a duel, but Lucario would cut in to stop them so they can conserve energy for much bigger battles.

:ultsamus: and :ultpikachu:. They had a great relationship in Subspace. Samus could use Pikachu to energize her suit, and Pikachu can find a trainer that will care for him.

:ultbayonetta: and :ultpit:. This shouldn’t have any details

volbound1700

Smash Master
Ok i did the poll you asked for and everyone who voted except for one person said he's a good guy now.. the other one said he's a bit all over the place.
I can live with "He was but isn't anymore..." because Nintendo has been changing him. Still he could easily fit in the villain club and actually fits better there than in a good guy club.

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
I can live with "He was but isn't anymore..." because Nintendo has been changing him. Still he could easily fit in the villain club and actually fits better there than in a good guy club.
He's definitely getting close and closer to the secondary protagonist of the series, I guess he's closer to an Anti-Hero now but he's definitely not finished converting to a good guy yet.

volbound1700

Smash Master
He's definitely getting close and closer to the secondary protagonist of the series, I guess he's closer to an Anti-Hero now but he's definitely not finished converting to a good guy yet.
I would put Metaknight as the second protagonist if anyone. Both Dedede and Metaknight have their mean streaks however and you can see that in the games where they were the main villains. (or sub-game for Metaknight as I am referring to Metaknight's revenge).

SonicMario

Smash Master
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Sonic and Pikachu is a canon Smash Bros. friendship

I couldn't be happier. My 64/Melee #1 Main & my current #1 Main since Brawl are buddies!

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
about damn time we got one of these threads. ships are fun, but--

>necromancer detected

curses! aw screw it, I'm posting here anyways.

:ultsamus::ultpikachu:: They've been pals since Subspace Emissary
:ultgreninja::ultincinceroar:: The Assassin & The Distraction
:ultcloud::ultsnake:: The Disillusioned War Veterans Club
:ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer:: People kept memeing the **** out of these two in the Smash 4 days, and they've been rolling with it ever since.
:ultinkling::ultsonic:: annoy people with 90's references
:ultbayonetta::ultganondorf::ultmetaknight::ultdarkpit:: The Smash Bros' equivalent to Team Dark from the Sonic Series.
:ultisabelle::ultmario::ultpeach::ultzelda:: These four and Master Hand are pretty much the ones who handle everyone's finances (except for the Star Fox characters because those guys practically dump money by the bucketfull into **** they don't need).
:ultcloud::ultlink::ultmario::ultlucina:(:ultzelda:/:ultsheik:): "Crossdressers!"
:ultzelda::ultlink::ultness::ultroy::ultgnw::ultpit::ultpokemontrainer::ultrobin::ultdaisy:: The Super Smash Bros DnD Club (Zelda is the DM)

Last edited:
Top Bottom