• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Smash bros controller or pro controller

chicken2121

Smash Rookie
I've been using the hori pad for smash for a while and I'm not a fan of batteries, how I have to be connected to Wii mote, and how super sensitive the control sticks are especially for walking. I want to get either the Pro or smash bros pad but would like know which is better and if they have sensitive control sticks as well.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If by smashbros pad you mean the GameCube style.....then go with that.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
If I didn't play in tourneys I'd stick with the pro controller. That's my favorite controller. But If you're going to play in tournaments, I think it's best to get a standard wired gamecube controller. It's just way easier. Some tournaments ban wireless controllers and even if they aren't banned they are a pain in the butt to sync and unsync constantly between matches. And even if you're just playing friendlies and jumping between setups. And then there's always the chance that you forget to unsync the controller after your match and interrupt someone elses bracket match...which is awful if it happens and will get a lot of nerd rage thrown your way. In my 1st tourney I didn't yet own a gamecube controller and this happened to me. Controller activated when it was in my backpack... it was not good...luckily it happened at character selection screen and not during a match.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Aside from the somewhat iffy ban status of the Pro Controller, it's mostly personal choice. Assuming you don't own a regular Wii or a Gamecube, you may as well go with the Pro Controller since it's used for more than just Smash, if you're not planning on competing (while the legality of Pro Controllers is in debate).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Choose the controller that you want to use. I use the Pro Controller, since it doesn't require any additional accessories to use.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Personally the GC controller feels the most natural... but that may not always be the case. It did take a bit of time for me to jump from wii remote + nunchuck back to it.

Depends on what you want to do... look into tournament rules in your local community if that is a part of your game. (as another poster mentioned.)

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Personal preference. I will note that most major tournaments ban wireless controllers, but if you are not planning on going to those - I would go with the one you feel most comfortable with! If you have a friend that has either or both - try them out. The pro controller resembles the gamepad and the GameCube is truly original.

NextPain

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nextpain
if you are going to tournaments use Gamecube controller, but if you are just playing online its all personal preference

Dabble Dot

Smash Cadet
The gc controller is better because the attack button is right in the middle and its smaller so you dont have to stretch out your fingers like on the giant pro controllers which I find dreadfully uncomfortable.

Blazerator

Smash Cadet
NNID
josh2499
Well if you can get your hands on an adapter, then buy the Gamecube Controller

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Like others have said, if you're planning on playing at tournaments, try to go with the GameCube controller if you can, but if not, it really depends on what would seem most comfortable to you. Both are great controllers, but the shaky tournament status of the pro controller along with the syncing process/downsides make it less ideal for that scene. As far as the input delay claims go, both controllers have been tested and proven to have the same amount of input delay, so you at least wouldn't have to worry about that.

D

Deleted member 269706

No controller is "better" than the others, it's all down to preference. There's no difference in input lag or anything like that. The only real differences are the number of shoulder buttons, the layout, and the placement of the sticks.

TyDye

Crash Bandicoot for Smash!
I personally prefer the pro controller which yes, I even use in tournaments. I have yet to see them banned in a tournament; however I have heard talk of it outside of smashboards. Like mentioned previously controllers all come down to preference. I have seen 3DS's, Wii mote and Nun-chuck, and even just Wii motes used as controller options in tournament. Although game cube and pro controllers are most common.

I prefer the pro controller to the game cube controller mainly for the comfort of the controller in my hands and the c-stick placement. Which seems to make pulling bombs and throwing boomerangs much easier with :4tlink:. I even use it to throw in a quick side-b mid combo and rest with :4jigglypuff:.

However to the syncing and input lag worries; one can only hope that Nintendo or a good third party developer makes a wired version of the pro controller eventually. It would be cool if it could plug into the game cube adapter or even just a USB port.

marteen_

Smash Cadet
NNID
martinthelee
If I didn't play in tourneys I'd stick with the pro controller. That's my favorite controller. But If you're going to play in tournaments, I think it's best to get a standard wired gamecube controller. It's just way easier. Some tournaments ban wireless controllers and even if they aren't banned they are a pain in the butt to sync and unsync constantly between matches. And even if you're just playing friendlies and jumping between setups. And then there's always the chance that you forget to unsync the controller after your match and interrupt someone elses bracket match...which is awful if it happens and will get a lot of nerd rage thrown your way. In my 1st tourney I didn't yet own a gamecube controller and this happened to me. Controller activated when it was in my backpack... it was not good...luckily it happened at character selection screen and not during a match.
It's really not that hard to pop the battery off while having a wiimote in your bag or when you need to jump setups, put them back in at the new one and synch it with the new setup. While it might take a little bit longer than plugging a GC controller in, it doesn't take so long that it'll screw over an event.

I'm a wiichuck user. Despite potentially missing out on some specific tech skills that a GC controller can let me do, I simply just can't get my bearings straight with a GC controller. It would be really nice if I had the GC or gamepad analog stick on the nunchuck though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom