• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Smash Bros 3DS Satisfaction-Are we comparing Apples to Oranges?

Raijinken

Smash Master
The only problem I have with your point is that you're making excuses for the game by trivializing the problems that people have with it by saying they were just expecting a console experience, which isn't true they were expecting a smash experience which just so happened to be on consoles for the past 14 years.

Brawl had a lot of different modes to mess around in but the online was complete garbage, so if I say "you shouldn't expect the wii to have good online anyway because it's not a ps3 or 360" does that make the online better somehow? No, nor does the 3ds' tech limitations make the lack of content better. I'm sure the smash bros on Nintendo's next handheld will solve most if not all of the problems. I do agree with you the game is great regardless
I guess it's simply that I don't find the content lacking compared to my expectations. The way I see it, we got the Smash experience people (or at least I myself, and most of my friends) were expecting. The fact that it doesn't expand in every area like each past Smash game did is a bit disappointing. But I guess you're right, I was rather trivializing the issue for people who don't have access to multiplayer on a frequent basis, and for that I apologize.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
I guess it's simply that I don't find the content lacking compared to my expectations. The way I see it, we got the Smash experience people (or at least I myself, and most of my friends) were expecting. The fact that it doesn't expand in every area like each past Smash game did is a bit disappointing. But I guess you're right, I was rather trivializing the issue for people who don't have access to multiplayer on a frequent basis, and for that I apologize.
Nothing for you to apologize for, because you're not wrong it's your experience that colors your perspective of the game and you seem like you've had a fantastic one so far. I'd say nintendo did a great job first handheld entry, the fact that you have so many people wanting more is indicative of the games core quality because if it was bad no amount of extra modes would help it

Chakra-X

Smash Cadet
The game is obviously lackluster, but that's because it's a portable version. For what it's meant to be, it does a superb job.
Which is fair, maybe I am focusing too much on the verbiage, but if I were to write to Sakurai "You know, the 3DS version if kind of lacking", I feel like it would be an inappropriate way to describe the content of the handheld version. I am not saying Smash 3DS is perfect, or that there were simple additions it could have used, but I was more than satisfied with it is a product personally. To describe it as lackluster in it's own right I feel doesn't paint an accurate picture.

Now, for those of you who saw the Nintendo Direct, the Wii U version will have TONS AND TONS AND TONS OF CONTENT. Probably because 1) It's a home console, 2) they had more development time, and 3)They might have had a bigger budget for the home console version.

So Smash Wii U looks to have more content than Brawl so far, and THAT is a fair comparison to me because they are both home console, blockbuster video games. The 3DS one in comparison might seem lacking, but honestly, the 3DS system itself could be argued that it's a "bit lacking" as a handheld. Just because 1 or 2 single player modes aren't in, which I presume you would not spend most of your time playing anyway, I feel is moreso cherry picking, which is fine, I just don't want the negativity to stop you from enjoying the purchase you made to the fullest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom