• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Balls: Run or Fight??

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
Well i didn't search this but its going to be a real nice topic for everyone here in the forums...most of us play stock so we know that the value of the FS and smash ball is going to drastically change the way we play..but the thing is when your opponent grabs that smash ball what are you going to do??
You only have about 3 seconds before you figure out what you are going to do

RUN!!!

By running away and getting ready to dodge the Final smash you make have to chase you(depending on who using the Final Smash), and you may in the end not get hit...however you may fall down and lose a life and they will still have that final smash to use...

Fight!!!!
Fighting may be the better option, if you constantly attack then if forces the smash ball out of them. But if they can get that final smash you're pretty much screwed.

So i ask again what will you do when your opponent gets that ball,Fight or Run

Shadow312

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadzcat
Haha I'm sure most players will use it RIGHT when they get it. So I'm gonna go with Run.

Plus if you try to beat it out of an opponent, I'm sure after they realize your attacking them, they will just try to dodge and use it- thus getting you.

geogaither

Smash Apprentice
i think it depends on who HAS the smash ball. Link, metaknight, ike, for example, would be a bad idea to steal the smash ball from as theirs is probably an easy counter to attacks. Characters like peach w/ passive final smashes might be better to fight for, provided they don't spam it as soon as they get it.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Well I think it matter what character has the Smash Ball. If its Samus.. I guess you should get at medium range (Does it cone outward?) So you have enough time to dodge it.

Or if its Metaknight.. Get the heck away from him!

But I see where your coming from.. Try to beat them down and take it for yourself or try to avoid it.. In 4 player battles I think I will fight most of the time. But in 1v1 I think the best is to try and avoid it.

-Onyx

Coselm

Smash Ace
I see myself running more in a free for all, and fighting more in a 1v1, but then there will also be some variation depending on who i am, and who i am fighting against.

Svatos

Smash Cadet
It depends how good your opponent is, if they are a noob you could easyly steal it and own them even more. But if you have respect/fear then running is a little more reasonable.

Thi0s

Smash Apprentice
Offline, I'll probably judge the competency of my opponent before seeing whether I should run or not. Offline, no matter what, I'm going straight for that smash ball! FIGHT THE POWA!

plasman

Smash Apprentice
This type of question is really situation-dependent. But I think for the most part I will be just as actively seeking the smashball as my opponent(s) and because of that, I expect I'll often be close when they acquire it. Again it's hard to say what I'll do exactly because each situation would call for varying tactics (depending on the potential final smash that could be used and where they are in relation to the stage and whatnot) but assuming I'm close when they have it and have the capacity to do so, I will probably go for smashing it out of them.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Like plasman said - if I'm close enough I'll fight, if I'm far enough I'll run.

WarxePB

Smash Ace
To the TC: You don’t have time to ponder such questions, as I have just grabbed a Smash Ball. :p

But seriously, I'm just going to beat it out of them. Especially if you're facing someone like Giga Bowser, you're gonna lose a stock anyways, so what's the harm in going down fighting?

Illyasvel

Smash Apprentice
Since they must not press any direction when using B for the Final Smash, I may aswell combo him to death. Not like I could do much as Zelda anyway (that's if her speed is about the same)

1ofMany_ppl

Smash Apprentice
As soon as anyone would get a Smash Ball I would ALWAYS go and try to knock it out of them though If they activate it I would either

A: Try to get on the other side of them so the attack doesn't hit me. Ex. Mario, Samus ect.
B: Run if they use it and it has a "ranged attack" or they are invincible for the duration of the attack. Ex. DK, Bowser, Sonic ect.
C: If it's someone like link or MetaKnight has it I would attack them from above. Considering Meta Knight's is a 1 hit KO if pulled off.
D: Kirby ( I think his is undodge-able) or Peach...umm whats the point in running when it can't be dodged? Attack!

EarthboundMun

Smash Cadet
Personally, depends on my distance from the opponent. If I'm close enough and currently attacking them/engaged in battle, and they break off momentarily to pursue the Smash Ball, I do intend to lay the hurt on as thick as possible to try and knock their free KO off of them.

If I'm further away, I'd take into account the character my opponent is playing and based on my knowledge of the Final Smash, I'd do my best to avoid it or take my chances and try to get in close to fight them before they can get the attack off. That's how I'd react, anyway. >_>

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
it all depends entirely on the situation, if the final smash is easy to avoid, I will probably dodge. if I cant avoid it, then I will probably fight. it all depends on the situation and who I am useing+who I am fighting against.

BananaNut

Smash Journeyman
It's all situational. If you're playing as Dedede then you'll probably fight, but If I were playing as sonic, I'd run.

Cosine

Smash Apprentice
Well I think it matter what character has the Smash Ball. If its Samus.. I guess you should get at medium range (Does it cone outward?) So you have enough time to dodge it.

Or if its Metaknight.. Get the heck away from him!
-Onyx
I don't very many of the Final Smashes are truly passive, I you recall peaches FS puts you to sleep longer if your closer, well now that I think about it there is Lucas, Pit, maybe Kirby, and now Snake

okay my point is that Peaches isn't really passive

Anyway, on topic for me it would really depend on how pissed off I am at the time

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
I guess it would depend on the character and my position to the character. I'm going to give these examples assuming that I'm nowhere near my opponent, and thus not in an ideal position to quickly smack the Smash Ball out of them.

Examples:

IIRC, Peach's FS is useless if her opponent is in the air. So, I'll stay in the air. I main Samus and Mario; that shouldn't be too hard.

With Metaknight's, I would run like hell. Given Metaknight's virtually nonexistent end lag on his attacks, a single hit is all he really needs to keep me stunned long enough to use his FS. Not just that, his FS has more range than the rest of him does; that only makes it worse.

With Mario's or Samus's, I would try to get beyond the attack zone of their attacks. I don't know if Samus' FS goes through the stage, but if it doesn't, one can simply hang onto the edge. With Mario's it's a bit tougher, but all you really have to do is stay level with the center point of his FS' attack zone; if it expands enough you can survive.

With Link's or Ike's I would run like hell and try to get my opponent to miss the initial dash. If they were to get close, though, I'd try to smack it out of them.

With Fox's I would probably hang onto the edge. I don't think his FS can touch the edge.

A key point to surviving FSes is what the FS does to the character while it is active. If Samus or Metaknight miss, they're helpless. Link and Ike can potentially kill themselves with their FSes.

Top Bottom