• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash and Other Series

Terry Bogard

Smash Apprentice
Is there a series you are a fan of thanks to a Smash character? What series, if any, made you want to play Smash?

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I’d say everything, really—Melee was my first Smash game and it introduced me to gaming. Particularly, I got into Fire Emblem because of Melee/Brawl, and Dragon Quest because of Ultimate. but overall, Melee was the game that showed me that there was more to videogames than just Mario.

Milo AKA Papa

Activating Combat Mode
Switch FC
SW-4274-2684-5210
I definitely would have never picked up KI: Uprising if I didn't recognize Pit from playing brawl. That's about it I think

R O F L

Smash Ace
The Banjo-Kazooie reveal made me buy a N64 to play it.

So I guess there's that.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I got into Smash because I was already a fan of Mario, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Pikachu, and Link. (we had an SNES and Game Boys, and our Nintendo 64 came with Banjo-Kazooie and Ocarina of Time) I think I had seen a friend of mine play Star Fox 64, so I was aware of Fox at the time. The original Smash Bros. was the first non-bundled N64 game that we got.

I can't recall if Smash made me want to play Metroid (I think I was aware of what Metroid was at the time, though my SNES was a hand-me-down that we got near the end of the system's lifespan and I didn't have much disposable income, so there weren't many opportunities to buy Super Metroid), but at the very least, the Smash games got me to play the following:

64: F-Zero, Earthbound (though for Earthbound, I waited until it came out on the Wii U's virtual console - just the cartridge alone (not including the box, strategy guide, etc.) was $200, and for whatever reason, I have trouble with getting into RPGs when using less-than-legal methods)

Brawl: Metal Gear (I ordered Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes off of eBay, which was rare for me)

Smash 4: Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus (I bought a 3DS, both for Smash and because I anticipated that we'd get characters from those games. There was a new Fire Emblem character in every Smash game, and Sakurai worked on Kid Icarus so getting something like that seemed like a guarantee), Xenoblade (I think I bought the game before Shulk was announced, though part of it might have been anticipating that someone from the Operation Rainfall games might be added - another part was its rarity and EB Games exclusivity)

Ultimate: Dragon Quest (at the very least, it motivated me to pick it up again - I bought 8 when it came out on the 3DS, but my backlog's gotten pretty big), Castlevania (Symphony of the Night, specifically - wanted to find out who Richter was, and playing the Metroid games is where the series clicked for me), Persona (I had bought 5, since it was critically-acclaimed and on sale, but Joker's Smash announcement motivated me to play it. 100+ hours later, I'm definitely a fan of the series now)

Last edited:
Top Bottom