• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 Remake in Unity?

Studstill

Smash Ace
He`s not. I am. We have a system.
This is why I tend to be the frontman, in these exchanges, because I`m pretty much way better at not telling people to **** off. LOL

Also, SuperSmashBros64.com does not recommend "Googling ****"

anikom15

Smash Apprentice
All right Master Hand, if you want to enforce dumb rules, be my guest.

So are we doing ROM hacking? Static recomp? Complete rewrite? Some hybrid?

Is there a formal plan for this yet? Documentation or whatever? I can be the documentation guy if you'd like. I actually enjoy writing docs. PM if interested.

Madao

All right Master Hand, if you want to enforce dumb rules, be my guest.

So are we doing ROM hacking? Static recomp? Complete rewrite? Some hybrid?

Is there a formal plan for this yet? Documentation or whatever? I can be the documentation guy if you'd like. I actually enjoy writing docs. PM if interested.
Idk about them, but my plan is just rom hacking and maybe later down the road, static recompilation. HLE has got me interested in quite a few things. Just seeing the difference in speed between PJ64 and 1964 has shown a lot to me. There's a lot that could be done. What's sort of inspired me to static recompilation are previous work of other people. I believe Corn did static recompilation, although it only worked for a few games I believe. Also for 1964 Audio HLE, they decompiled the RSP instructions for various n64 games. Pretty neat imo. Although it's not any faster than just using an RSP recompiler, but at the same time, I'm sure it's more accurate and it could definitely be more optimized. I could see an easy speed boost just by using more SSE instructions.

What would be nice about recompilation is that you're no longer bound to n64's limitations. I'd definitely rather do that over making some bootleg version of the game on my own. If and when I decide to make my own game, I'd rather it be more original, although I wouldn't mind making a game that's a ripoff of other games. Kinda like how Streets of Rage is a ripoff of Final Fight iirc. I just don't think I'd want to make a game like super smash flash, although I actually like it.

Shears

Smash Master
If you aren't gonna bother to Google ****, what makes me think you're gonna bother to spend hours reverse engineering an N64 game, a console almost as complicated as a cell processor?
For my 9-5 I manage, develop, and program an electronic health record application thats currently sitting around 150,000 lines of code (inb4 someone says it could be reduced, because yes it can, but it hasn't yet because there are much more important things then consolidating functions), 3 databases with over 500 tables, 2 servers and 3 slave machines used for prefetching. Then, on my free time, I spend over an hour at the gym each day, play recreational football, soccer, volleyball, and frisbee, manage my undefeated fantasy sports teams which requires watching several hours of sports every week, hang out on video game forum, develop and program VGBootCamps Coliseum and other applications, develop and program SuperSmashBros64.com rankings site, tournament app, and other future applications, develop and program other mobile and web apps with friends from college and high school, go out drinking at least twice a week, go on at least 3 tinder/pof dates, take a ****, eat pizza, sleep for a few hours a day, travel, pay my speeding tickets, and occasionally, once a month, try and play some smash bros. So yeah, I'm not going to waste my time google searching and doing the ***** work but I will help write some code, read some code, give another perspective on things, and try to help out when I can. Now like I said, go fetch me the Nintendo Developers Manual.

anikom15

Smash Apprentice
Nah bro I'm the docs guy. I'm doing the docs. That's it. In fact, I won't even bother reading the code. I'll just use my intuition to decide what to write and have some scrub do all the Googling for me.

NOTICE
Accepting applications for scrubs to Google ****. Pay is $0/hr. Must have programming experience. Experience in ASM a plus.

Note: I'm just messing with you man. Like I said I just misunderstood your post. The way you worded it seemed like you wanted hex->op code. There was a time when I didn't know disassemblers exist. =_=

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
Nah bro I'm the docs guy. I'm doing the docs. That's it. In fact, I won't even bother reading the code. I'll just use my intuition to decide what to write and have some scrub do all the Googling for me.

Accepting applications for scrubs to Google ****. Pay is $0/hr. Must have programming experience. Experience in ASM a plus.
Now thats how you move up in the world!

Studstill

Smash Ace
Settle down. First off, I`m in charge of HR, and currently there isn`t any more room in the budget. It`s just not there. I`m already paying Shears and myself -40$ a month, and the website is generating an amazing -20$ a month. If Madao ever does any work (LOL) he`ll pull his wages, so I just don`t have the 0$ left to pay extra googling scrubs. Hey for real though Anikom, answer a PM.
Also, I`m leaning towards Madao`s route for the end goal, a recompiled Smash is the only acceptable option to me. On that note, I`ll be remaking this thread soon, with the now finalizedish formal plan.

Last edited:

SMASHMARK153

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone! I was wondering how many of you guys would be willing to team up and remake the Super Smash Bros 64 in Unity. I think that with a nice team we could make a great job and keep the soul of Smash 64!

We could add new characters, new stages, achievements, challenges... What do you guys say?
well this sounds like a good idea in my opinion,i have tried game designing before with game maker studio 2,however i have not tried unity ,yet i'm willing to try it and probably be of some assistance,im not a pro at coding tho,but besides game design i can probably remake some of the songs from the original game.if you already have something else in mind ,or probably already completed the project for that matter. thats fine,im still open to any ideas or spots to help out with

D

Deleted member

well this sounds like a good idea in my opinion,i have tried game designing before with game maker studio 2,however i have not tried unity ,yet i'm willing to try it and probably be of some assistance,im not a pro at coding tho,but besides game design i can probably remake some of the songs from the original game.if you already have something else in mind ,or probably already completed the project for that matter. thats fine,im still open to any ideas or spots to help out with
This really isn't relevant anymore the maker of this thread that's not been on since 2015 if you want to do something similar to this it probably needs a new thread

SSb64champ

Smash Cadet
it should be possible to recreate ssb64 in unity as people have made mario 64 and zelda remakes in it and they look great but people are scared to do stuff with ssb64 it seems. Imagine playing a game that felt just like ssb64 with next gen gfx

batman4302

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone! I was wondering how many of you guys would be willing to team up and remake the Super Smash Bros 64 in Unity. I think that with a nice team we could make a great job and keep the soul of Smash 64!

We could add new characters, new stages, achievements, challenges... What do you guys say?
I know this is an old post but if you're still up to work on the project, I might be able to help, I was thinking starting out as just an HD remake of the original game rather than adding a bunch of new stuff but add stuff later on

Tmoose

Smash Rookie

Sure though i have only programmed very few games

Last edited:
Top Bottom