• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Smash 4 Wii U: Worth it?

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Smash Wii U is out in America, and will be out in Europe in a week....exciting, right? Actually, I've been on the fence. A feeling I've never had with a Smash game before. Smash 3DS was...disapointing, to say the least. I was done playing it after a week, and as much as I tried to come back to it, I just kept getting bored with the game. Smash 64 started the series. Melee introduced depth, more content, and speed. Brawl introduced a HUGE amount of awesome content and features I can never see the series without anymore....but what does Smash 4 really do that makes it cool in the long run like the others?

The game feels incredibly slow-paced, the balance seems all over the place with a focus on baiting and gimping, and none of the modes really add anything due to a ton of individual reasons. And Sakurai's little fact "All characters play like on the 3DS :D" only demotivates me further.

If you don't agree with me, don't get angry, it's only my opinion. Keeping my opinion of Smash 3DS in mind, though, Is Smash for Wii U worth the money? Is it's gameplay different enough from Smash 3DS to make me give Smash 4 one more chance? Is there something redeeming in this that makes it so much better than the 3DS game, other than the old "higher resolution and gamecube controller" excuse?(which apparantly doesn't even have a C-stick that functions like it should)

Maybe this is a terrible question to ask on a forum of Smash enthusiasts with each different viewpoints on what Smash should be, but in the end, who would know the game better than you guys, right?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Is there anything you like about SSB4 Wii U? Why haven't you formed your own individual opinion about SSB4 Wii U that you had to ask us what is there to like?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't know if Smash 4 introduced anything new that makes it on par with Melee and Brawl (in your terms, of course... imo the "depth" Melee introduced means absolutely nothing, plus Melee's speed was a bit annoying). It "only" introduced the usual things (new chars, stages, music) and some new extra modes (which aren't really my thing, but I am sure a lot of people enjoy crazy modes like smashing with 8 players).

For me, Smash Wii U is the improved version of Smash 3DS, which was the best Smash game until... well, yesterday. Smash 4 introduced a huge amount of new great music (I love music), new colorful and lively stages (yeah, they have gimmicks, but I actually like Omega Mode), new cool characters (even though some of my favorites didn't make it), etc. The gameplay is more similar to Brawl than to Melee, which is most definitely a good thing in my books. I also LOVE gimping. Also, no, the gameplay isn't different enough from Smash 3DS. It is the same thing, difference being the controls which are better on the Wii U version.

With that being said, if you don't care about the stuff I mentioned and a Brawl-ish gameplay isn't your thing, then I wouldn't recommend the game. I am sorry the game apparently doesn't cater to your needs, but I won't lie, I am pleased with Smash 4. So yes, I think Smash Wii U is worth the $60 they are charging for the game.

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
My first two hours I had major trouble getting use to the jumping and directions they seem really sluggish, I thought my controller was shot but after getting more use to it this game is amazing.
SO easy to unlock characters though.

I was afraid this game would just be Brawl 2.0 but that's certainly not the case, it feels like it will actually take time to get use to it.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
I've played smash since the game first came out on 64. My friends and I were super excited when Melee was coming out and we didn't know what to expect. We had a group of 20 or so friends that we would rotate hosting smash nights. We never needed a tournament setting because we were the tournament. Some of my friends pushed their characters to the limit they could without wave dashing or L cancelling and others moved on to the demands and finger cramping in melee they needed to stay competetive. When the news of Brawl was coming we were really worried on what to expect after spending more time on melee than anything else. All of our memory cards time played were maxed out and we surely didn't want to use a Wii mote.

The earlier Wii's came with gamecube ports on the side to use with smash so we decided to give brawl a try. At this point most of us were adults or entering adulthood so it was real easy to walk away from something we loved for so long because we had several other responsibilities. I sat down with my two elitist friends who I played smash with since the beginning and we turned on Brawl. At this point I had gone to several tournaments and played singles and teams quite a bit with a partner and my two friends sitting next to me I would like to call really good casuals. We started random tripping, it seemed every attack had tons of startup frames, the sounds were muffled, it was almost impossible to combo. We were so disappointed. We probably logged maybe 15 total hours in the game over the next couple of months. And there brawl sat on my shelf. Unplayed; collecting dust.

Smash brothers kind of faded a little bit and then an uprise of melee players started hosting more and more tournaments. New smashers began to take shape not just old melee players to the game. Brawl was played less and less at tournaments and melee was as healthy as ever. A group figured out the Brawl can be modified via the stage editer and Project M took shape. When it came out people were weary of it at first but look at it now today.

I purchased smash on the 3DS and I have about 500 online matches logged now with jigglypuff and king dedede by themselves. I'm still learning new rest setups and figuring out mixups with king dedede's gordo. The pressure is real and combos do exist they're just not as easy to do and people are still learning the opurtunity for those combos with the characters. I've been having a lot of fun with my smash 3DS. I can't really understand how people can't enjoy playing smash 3DS. I don't know what people expected from smash 3DS that makes them not like it. If it's a character selection I find that to be funny and I personally dismiss those people. You can't make everyoone happy in that department.

Now here comes smash for the Wii U. Playing a smash game in HD alone is enough for me to buy it. I can combo easier with a gamecube controller and I can sit on a couch with my friends and play it together or online. If the online is as good at least as it is on the 3DS I'll be happy. I think it's going to be better connectivity than the 3DS though but fingers crossed until I get home later. Do I think smsh for the Wii U will be the next melee? No. Do I think it will be dismissed as fast as Brawl was? Not at all. Sakurai said the speed is in between brawl and melee. I disagree with that. I find it to be a 65/35 speed leaning in Brawls favor as far as speed. I think the sounds are better, I feel more rewarded for landing a hit, I can go online with my friend at my house for some fun team play, there's a ton of characters, it's in HD. There's a meta that's undeveloped yet that I'm excited to be a part of compared to brawl.

60 dollars well spent that won't collect dust like brawl.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Is there anything you like about SSB4 Wii U? Why haven't you formed your own individual opinion about SSB4 Wii U that you had to ask us what is there to like?
Actually, I haven't formed an opinion on Smash Wii U yet, just Smash 4 for 3DS. I live in Europe, where Smash 4 Wii U isn't out yet. I was asking if any of the differences in the Wii U version make it worth getting despite my disappointment with the 3DS version. Playing the Smash 4 3DS made me rather skeptical about getting the Wii U version, seeing how the two are supposed to be similar.

With that being said, if you don't care about the stuff I mentioned and a Brawl-ish gameplay isn't your thing, then I wouldn't recommend the game. I am sorry the game apparently doesn't cater to your needs, but I won't lie, I am pleased with Smash 4. So yes, I think Smash Wii U is worth the $60 they are charging for the game.
I see. Thanks for the honest post.

Shog

Smash Ace
I still since the beginning of 3DS don't get why people who dislike this metagame make there own with Equipment to get a melee feeling or whatever and play like that

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Smash Wii U is out in America, and will be out in Europe in a week....exciting, right? Actually, I've been on the fence. A feeling I've never had with a Smash game before. Smash 3DS was...disapointing, to say the least. I was done playing it after a week, and as much as I tried to come back to it, I just kept getting bored with the game. Smash 64 started the series. Melee introduced depth, more content, and speed. Brawl introduced a HUGE amount of awesome content and features I can never see the series without anymore....but what does Smash 4 really do that makes it cool in the long run like the others?

The game feels incredibly slow-paced, the balance seems all over the place with a focus on baiting and gimping, and none of the modes really add anything due to a ton of individual reasons. And Sakurai's little fact "All characters play like on the 3DS :D" only demotivates me further.

If you don't agree with me, don't get angry, it's only my opinion. Keeping my opinion of Smash 3DS in mind, though, Is Smash for Wii U worth the money? Is it's gameplay different enough from Smash 3DS to make me give Smash 4 one more chance? Is there something redeeming in this that makes it so much better than the 3DS game, other than the old "higher resolution and gamecube controller" excuse?(which apparantly doesn't even have a C-stick that functions like it should)

Maybe this is a terrible question to ask on a forum of Smash enthusiasts with each different viewpoints on what Smash should be, but in the end, who would know the game better than you guys, right?
We are at a point in this series where people are truly going to start gravitating to the Smash games they enjoy. Each game offers a different experience, even if it doesn't seem like it. Each game has something the others in the series do not, and those features are obviously going to affect one's decisions.

Smash Wii U adds a wealth of new options and modes that should make lots of Nintendo fans impressed, but it is certainly not going to captivate everyone. If you are not one to enjoy gameplay similar to Brawl, I don't see much enjoyment coming out of this game. Personally, the online tourneys and Bowser Junior are already enough reason to purchase it for me. I enjoy the small combos I can pull off and using lots of mixups and spacing techniques. For the first time in a while, I feel like this game is truly worth the 60 dollars I'm paying. You may not feel this way, and it's fine. You've probably gotten a good look at this game, so if it truly doesn't capture what you want out of Smash, simply pass it up.

That's the beauty of having multiple games in this series: each one provides an experience that everyone can be comfortable with.

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet

8 Player Smash.

The Cheese

Smash Cadet
I say Sm4sh 3DS was annoying. In my opinion, the Circle Pad is a huge failure for 3DS fighting games in general. The only problem is the game forces you to use it. There isn't an option for the D-Pad to not be for taunts.

I can't tell you how many times the weak little pad would snap back PAST neutral position and turn my character in the opposite direction I wanted and I'd end up swinging my jab reset into thin air. I can't tell you how many times Greninja has Shadow Sneaked his way into the side of a stage and been pummeled from above by Villager's F-Smash instead of Hydro Pumping up and over the jerk.

Sm4sh Wii U has none of those problems. Controls feel eerily similar to Project M, in my opinion. Sure, the characters have the fluidity of the 3DS version, and the techniques are similar, but there aren't any control failures.

It has 8-Way Smash, it has modes I haven't played yet, but are probably mildly enjoyable at minimum, and it doesn't have Smash Run, which I only found enjoyable until I had to race other characters and not fight in a fighting game. For what reason was I collecting all of those attack power-ups?

It's a better game, period. If you don't care about Mewtwo, trade in your Sm4sh 3DS for GameStop store credit and get Sm4sh Wii U. Better yet, register your copy of Sm4sh 3DS first, then trade it in for Sm4sh Wii U and register that to get Mewtwo anyway. To me, it's vastly more enjoyable simply from a control standpoint, and the better game modes add to it.

But, if it's simply a matter of gameplay, I'm sensing you just want to play Melee and are taking it out on the new game. If that's the case, this whole topic is rhetorical, and an excuse to try and discredit the game. But that's just speculation, of course.

Also, this game is far superior to Brawl from an actual gameplay stance. If you're not enjoying this one, you may be outgrowing video games or something, given that's even possible. I dunno.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Actually I would not judge the WiiU version because of a bad experience with the 3DS version. I tried the 3DS version demo in store and after 10 minutes of playing it, I'd never buy it. I just didn't like the playstyle with the control stick nor the small screen. And that is me coming from a time where I loved Melee to bits and liked Brawl a lot as well. I did preorder the WiiU version though.

If you liked Melee and Brawl then I feel you might just like WiiU as well. It has a lot more content than 3DS and many more control options.
Actually WiiU has more long term features than Brawl. Apart from farming the trophy stands (which was Nintendo ebola) there was no reason to play the SSE more than a few times at most. But now every WiiU mode has a reason to be played repeatedly. Well until you unlock all the trophies and do all the challenges. But I suspect that will take quite a while.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
If you are not one to enjoy gameplay similar to Brawl, I don't see much enjoyment coming out of this game.
I think there's the biggest problem with Smash 4 for me. It's the only game similar to previous games in the franchise. Melee was nothing like 64, Brawl was nothing like Melee OR 64. But then this game comes along and feels a little like a slightly altered Brawl. Was hoping for a new-ish game. The console it's on really doesn't make much of a difference if the gameplay is similar.

8 Player Smash.
Hell to the yeah, though I doubt many people often have so many friends over that understand how to play Smash. The idea of it sure counts, though!

Sm4sh Wii U has none of those problems. Controls feel eerily similar to Project M, in my opinion. Sure, the characters have the fluidity of the 3DS version, and the techniques are similar, but there aren't any control failures.
You sure about that? I hear nightmare stories about this game's C-stick forcing charge-Smashes and taking away momentum retention.

But, if it's simply a matter of gameplay, I'm sensing you just want to play Melee and are taking it out on the new game. If that's the case, this whole topic is rhetorical, and an excuse to try and discredit the game. But that's just speculation, of course.
It's true I want a fast-paced game with as few moments where I have nothing to do as possible, but that doesn't nessesarily mean I want it to play like Melee all over again. Project M and Melee do that just fine. I just want some action-packed crazy moments, and Smash 4 for the 3DS left alot of empty seconds where I wish I had something to input.

Khao

Smash Lord
I'm absolutely loving the game so far, but speaking from a completely neutral point of view, I doubt you're gonna like it if you disliked the gameplay in the 3DS version.

It may be playable with better controllers, but mechanics-wise, it's 100% identical to the 3DS version. If you found the 3DS version slow-paced, and disliked the focus on specific **** like baiting and gimping, you will have the same issues on the Wii U version.

The advantages on Wii U are just the obvious ones, you get better graphics, you get bigger screens, you get more comfortable control options, you get more game modes, you get a potentially better online connection... But gameplay-wise, it's the exact same game.

Are those things enough? I guess that's up to you. You might want to try it out somewhere before deciding.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
This is my new Favorite Video Game Ever (having displaced the last Smash Bros game). I find a number of worthy additions to this version:

- It's the first Smash in HD, and it looks absolutely gorgeous
- The roster is amazing. Tons of cool new characters, many with completely new and unique mechanics. (Little Mac with his KO meter. Rosalina with her secondary proxy fighter (not quite the same as IC). Robin with his/her limited-use abilities. Shulk with his Monado arts. Killager and Duck Hunt with their really off-the-wall moves.) Then there are Mega Man and Pac Man. And the freaking Koopalings. These additions easily make up for the few cuts that were made. And there's at least one more character coming later.
- Mii fighters and character customization add a good deal of potential depth
- Holy ****, 8 player smash!
- Amiibo functionality
- The ability to freehand draw stages
- Special orders is actually really cool
- A metric crapton of music and trophies (not really a new feature, but worth mentioning)
- The first (console) Smash with a good online presence
- The first (console) Smash to support DLC, opening the door for even more content

We have honestly been spoiled with this game. People will still want to complain that this or that was cut from the game, that there aren't enough stages, that the stage creator doesn't have enough parts, etc - even I'm guilty of this. But the sheer amount of content in this game far surpasses my wildest expectations that I had when they first announced this game. It is one of the most polished and content-loaded games I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Koggy

Yoshi Adept
Smash 4 is incredibly addicting in my opinion, but mostly so because my friends and I played all the previous Smash games prior to this one, so basically all my friends play it.
For glory games are pretty hard, but fun to learn and see yourself improve, although I do find it a bit hard to keep up with a lot of people (and I'm considered the better of my friends)

2v2 online is the most fun feature ive experienced so far. Playing with a friend, and teaming up against someone else and their friend is incredibly fun, and opens up the meta to characters that maybe arent as good 1v1, but really good in 2v2s.
Every stage has a Final Destination, so when you get salty and want to battle it up, you can play any stage fairly. Music is great, very HD, much more competitive than Brawl. Lots a pros and few cons (one of which being that the experience is much more enjoyable with friends of a similar skill range as you)

Its a lot more casual than Project M or Melee, which I kind of like. I dont have the time to invest in learning all the technical abilities, so I enjoy playing smash 4 more than those two.

Also its the first game to actually receive patches and balances, so the meta can change at any time, which is exciting.
Overall a much better looking and feeling Brawl, but less competitive than PM or Melee

The Cheese

Smash Cadet
I think there's the biggest problem with Smash 4 for me. It's the only game similar to previous games in the franchise. Melee was nothing like 64, Brawl was nothing like Melee OR 64. But then this game comes along and feels a little like a slightly altered Brawl. Was hoping for a new-ish game. The console it's on really doesn't make much of a difference if the gameplay is similar.

You sure about that? I hear nightmare stories about this game's C-stick forcing charge-Smashes and taking away momentum retention.

It's true I want a fast-paced game with as few moments where I have nothing to do as possible, but that doesn't nessesarily mean I want it to play like Melee all over again. Project M and Melee do that just fine. I just want some action-packed crazy moments, and Smash 4 for the 3DS left alot of empty seconds where I wish I had something to input.
I think this game is far smoother than Brawl. Mobility is increased, defensive options are wildly abusable, several characters have totally revamped movesets, the gameplay engine itself is vastly improved, obviously due to the updated soft and hardware... Not to mention your character doesn't flop onto it's face every few seconds when you happen to be in first place or just pulled off a smash-capped combo. The list of reasons Sm4sh Wii U is an improvement on Brawl is long. If your issue is that the games are similar, why play Project M when you already had Melee? The whole point of PM was to be like Melee. It was practically the dev team's mission statement. From this angle, it seems I'm missing something.

If there are C-Stick problems, someone probably didn't take their finger off the stick and blamed it on the controller, or their controller's busted. It could be a disc problem, too, but none of those problems would be release-wide. There are more people who have not had those problems than had. There are guaranteed to be ten glitches in the millions of units sold. Stories like that are worthless unless you're unlucky enough to be the one speaking from experience.

If you're standing there for seconds at a time with nothing to do, you're probably not playing the game right. Even the slowest of Smash games don't have seconds of downtime. Edge-guard, for goodness' sake. Even so, if you still feel that way, 8-Player Smash is the definitive response to this issue. It is the action-packed crazy you're asking for. It is the new element this generation of Smash brings. Nearly every mode is multiplayer! It's every multiplayer game fan's dream! There are tons of new characters! A lot of characters have completely revamped movesets! Sm4sh Wii U provides everything you're looking for, and you're basing your opinion on what could be considered by many as it's trial run? You can't be serious.

|Sm4sh 3DS| is to |Sm4sh Wii U| as |the Sm4sh 3DS demo| is to |Sm4sh 3DS|.

Current Status: Incredulous.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Both only occur if you're used to holding the c-stick in the direction. From my experience simply flicking it allows what the previous games did (granted I've been using control stick aerials my whole life so your mileage may vary.)

As for your question, the main difference in the Wii U version gameplay wise is that stages appear to have significantly smaller blast zones (either that or the changes to vectoring/DI in the recent patch are making it easier to kill), which speeds up matches a little. Not much difference outside of that.

If you don't absolutely despise the gameplay though then the game is basically the 3DS version with every mode expanded (save for classic and All-star, which were slightly altered instead), minus Smash Run, plus a bunch of brand new modes both for solo and local play. If your don't like how the base game plays though its probably unlikely that the new modes will win you over. If you have a way to try it out somewhere I'd recommend doing that.

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
For me the Wii U version feels completely different. I doubt I will play the 3ds version anytime soon. Honestly I say try before you buy, but I think its about 5x better than the 3ds version.

Last edited:

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
This game is an improvement upon Brawl but still disappointing.

It looks beautiful. There are new characters and new stages. 8-Player Smash adds a whole new dimension to the game. New Events and an improved online mode.

Let me first say that I am a casual player. I don't care about shadow-cancelling or edge boxing or swiggle dance or any of yer new fangled glitches and inputs. I played Melee long ago and dropped it when Brawl came out... played Brawl for the last 6 years. I really don't notice any difference. Maybe I could be convinced into believing that it's less floaty but if I didn't know it was a new game, I probably wouldn't notice any difference.

And that's the problem. With Brawl characters on a Brawl stage (and there sure are a lot of them) I couldn't even be certain I was playing a new game. It feels like an upgraded Brawl. The AT's, the Pokemon, the stages, the music, the sound effects... it's all rehashed. Even something as simple as just pressing 'start' at the Title Screen makes the same sound effect as Brawl and I had to remind myself it was a new game. There isn't much core to the game. Classic Mode is tortured into some unnecessarily complex and weird format. The mini-games feel like filler. Angry Birds, Home Run contest, Trophy Rush (good look finding this in the counter-intuitive menu design) are pretty blah. Smash Tour is just an utter disgrace. Master Orders and Crazy Orders are interesting and fun but once you run out of things to do (hint: it's pretty fast) and all you have to do is farm tediously for custom parts it's not as great.

It's a fun game and better than Brawl. But as someone who played Brawl for the last 6 years, I feel like I got an update patch or expansion pack more than anything.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
As somebody who has played all the Smash games, yes, I would say it's worth it.

It definitely feels a lot like Brawl but the clunkiness that plagued Brawl for me is relatively absent. Grounded movement feels incredibly smooth and the mechanics are in general more polished than ever before. I enjoy the pace of the game and I like the idea of a game based off of smart offensive followups and decisions.

I feel like there's enough new content to justify this over Brawl. The gameplay is massively improved, the roster is my definition of perfect barring the lack of Star Wolf, and it's just SATSIFYING TO PLAY. Ultimately better casually than competitively by a slim margin but either way if you liked Brawl to any degree you will love this game.

opplemobl

Smash Rookie
I was pretty excited about the 3DS version, but Smash Wii U just seems like a straight up improvement. I was never too excited about 8 player smash, or Smash Tour, but both are actually really fun. Smash Run is still not too interesting, in my opinion.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
You know, after playing Melee casually and competitive for a few years before retiring that and PM, and then playing Brawl, I don't see how this game is anywhere near Brawl 2.0. I feel like people believed what was going on at E3 this past year and heard what people said about the game and took that to heart even until now. As someone who couldn't even beat a level 9 cpu in Brawl, the game just feels better IMO. Yes, it has Brawls floatness in the air and some techs from Brawl, but the Melee influence is there too without a doubt, even if its not as much as what it was once. It might be the HDness of it all but characters move gracefully and with fluidity. This is honestly THE most beautiful game I've ever had the honor to play.

As far as game modes go, I honestly don't miss Subspace but I wish there was a Melee-esque Adventure Mode. I only played Smash Tour to get Pac-Land and I don't see myself ever returning to it seriously. Classic and All Star Mode are fun IMO and 8 Player Smash is ridiculous and fun. Playing 10 minute matches on Palutena's Temple is just fun to me and reminds me of my Melee days just playing casually. And that's what it is to me. It reminds me of how much fun I had with Melee. It reminds me of the years I spent playing Melee and laughing and raging and simply having fun. Now that I play somewhat competitively, I can have even more fun to the point where its going to be hard for me to play any other games until I get bored.

That all being said, its not everybody's cup of tea. Just like Brawl isn't everybodys cup of tea. Just like ZSS or Greninja aren't my cup of tea even though they are very good (no matter how hard I try to use them). Ultimately it comes down to taste. This game isn't Melee but works for me. If it doesn't, at least respect the game for what it is and how much it adds competitively and casually.

TL;DR: Its worth it if you liked the 3DS version.

Riverside J

Smash Rookie
I'm going to be very honest when I say this. I have had a Street Fighter background for years and I have also messed around with Smash for some time. Now the first Smash I tried to get good at was Brawl. After playing the game for a month, there were just to many random elements in the game that caused me not to enjoy it. The random "trip" which I feel was added to the game to make it not be played in tournaments, and the stupidest thing I ever seen in a fighting game, the ability to attack or act out of hit stun. It was very slow and when Street Fighter 4 was dropped, I didn't want to play Brawl at all. I hated watching it in tournament because imo, it looked very ugly to watch. I didn't want to play or fight MetaKnight, who in was the last straw when I saw how strong he was. So as you can tell, I very much disliked almost every aspect of the game, as someone who was been playing fighters all his life.

However, I paid very close attention to Smash 4 and my first thought that it would be more of the same from Brawl. I do indeed like watching Melee but from what I have gather by reading what Sakurai stated about the series (sit down for this one) is that Melee was never to be played in that way. It was suppose to be a party game, but it turned out to be much, much more. I enjoy a fast paced game as well and I do respect the hell out of the top Melee players. I feel that Melee had "a hand" in the way that Smash 4 was created. If it wasn't for Melee or the event that took place at EVO, I don't think we would of had FOR GLORY mode or the recent balance patch that came out for the game.

After watching KTAR XI this weekend , I truly don't understand why players say it's slow paced. A lot of the matches I saw were pretty fast, and while not Melee fast, it was still very fun to watch. I brought the game for 3DS, and I did enjoy it, but the after buying the Wii U version, and buying it every day since it came out, this game is really worth playing and putting time in.

The last thing I want to say is this. I love the Smash series, Not to many Capcom players would say that, but I really, really like the series. I think the Smash was always a true fighting game series and has just as much right to be at any fighting game tournament as the next game. One thing I don't like about Smashers is that most think Melee is the end all be all when while it put Smash on the map, let's be honest, it will be the last Smash to every play the way it did. If you love the Smash series, buy this game, learn it, and see what YOU think. If it's not meant to be, then it's not meant to be. Melee is still going strong, play that. But just understand that Sakurai did a lot to cater to all fans of the game, and from what I understood watching KTAR XI is that it was well liked, or at least that's what I was hearing on the Stream. If you don't like it don't bash others who do, support them because it's Smash. A series that Smashers love, and me being a new Smasher loves as well. This isn't Brawl 2.0, this is really Smash 4. Don't miss out.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I would say it's worth the money, and that's even after I bought the entire console to play it. It has more challenges, more stages (good and less good), great music, etc. In other words, I'd say it has as much as Brawl had, though scratch Subspace and replace it with other smaller modes. I've also really enjoyed the character balance (feels better in general than the past games did), and while the gimping meta may not be your cup of tea, it's hard for me to argue with how satisfying spikes feel in this game. Haven't played online much yet since my LAN adapter is at home and I'm at college, but the game as a whole just feels every bit as good as the past Smash games, if not better. Plus, at least in my opinion, the balance patch options give me future character balance to look forward to, which I find more exciting and worth maintaining my skill in than, say, Metaknight's permanent superiority, or No Items Fox Only Final Destination. I definitely still enjoy past Smash games, but Smash4 currently sits as my favorite.

Top Bottom