• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 - What type of TV to use at my tournament?

GiantGiraffe

Smash Rookie
Hello guys,

The state I am living in does not have a very large Smash 4 community at all. In fact, I have seen only one tournament currently being advertised that includes a Smash 4 Bracket (In WI by the way). Anyways, because of this fact, I am looking to try and start hosting some tournaments of my own to see if I can bring people into a more organized scene. That being said, I have hit a problem with logistics.

For Smash 4, the Wii U comes with only the HDMI cable although can use the original Wii's component and AV cable. Given I want to run a proper tournament, what type of TVs would work best with the Wii U. Money-wise, I feel like I need to go cheaper and get some older CRT TVs that I can get more of in order to run a proper tournament. That being said, the HDMI cable comes with the Wii U so many won't have the hookup.

Another concern I have is whether or not there is going to be more input lag on HD (LED-type TVs) or CRT TVs (connected with the AV or component cables to the Wii U). I can't claim knowledge over TVs and would like to know whether or not using an AV or component cable will cause significant input lag on the Wii U. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you very much!!

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
Any HDMI monitor rated 10ms or lower is good enough to be considered tournament caliber:
http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

Cheap used CRTs are always an option, of course. (For reference, a typical CRT would have about 7-to-8ms delay when tested with the above site's methods, so it's hardly a difference at all.)

GiantGiraffe

Smash Rookie
So then I presume that using the Wii U's component or AV cables would not cause any extra input lag even though it was meant for HDMI? I am sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, I just want to make sure it is a viable option for a Smash 4 tourney.

Top Bottom