• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Theory:All other Smash game elements REALLY Contributed to Smash 4!?

supersonicstep

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0361-8688-6963
I just realized, i been thinking of why smash 4 is different and include all advanced techs,I noticed In smash 64 you must know Z cancel, Competitive wise, Melee you must Know L cancel and wave dash,(besides borp),In Brawl You need to have a dynamic neutral or characters who can out neutral or Zone tf out of players. These 3 games all need to be played a certain way in competitive play Before you can even Start being creative. But Whats smash 4's playing style. Alot of people say smash 4 is closer to brawl but i believe its balanced and it really contains all. Example Imagine it like this. 64 was the most popular and cool kid on the block then melee comes and it has just more then 64. 64 stays quiet and fade and let melee has its fun.. then brawl arrives and the Hype behind brawl is immense and then Melee and Brawl Proceed to fight all because of melees diehard fans and Brawls newcomers, Over the course of the competitive play all these 3 games need to be played a certain way in order to be considered decent in the community. They are very different and have very different players most of the time.Smash 4 was announced and 64 just wants the game to be fun and great like melee and brawl......Meanwhile melee was hoping to get a competitive melee 2.0 and Brawl was hoping for a brawl 2.0
Before smash 4'd release Sakurai wanted a true balance in the competitive scene without conflicting with what other people liked,He left the hitstun of melee there so no long combos, Adding Z cancel or L cancel would have made the tech practical to learn like in melee,64,and PM, Psuedo Versions of advanced techniques surface such as Perfect Pivot instead of wavedashing(a nerfed wavedash so it doesnt become practical) The Removal of Gliding and momentum canceling(so it wouldnt conflict with melee and 64 competitive players) and Locking along with Nerfs and buffs Along with DACUS(Because it would have been character specific like in brawl and be a bit unbalanced) Basicly he made the 3 games to give tech to smash 4 that doesnt conflict with the other competitive core scene.
Smash 4 is truely a game that contains 25% of Melee,Brawl,64 and the last 25% Character Balance.
Need more Proof? Alot of melee players complained that the top smash 4 players are brawl players who barely have tech skill so smash 4 tech skill is useless right? Wrong! It is very much useful its just Not required or as practical to be at top level it doesnt mean its bad or useless rather its optional
These brawl players carry their playstyle roots of dynamic neutral and smart decision into smash 4 Because nothing forces them not too change i personally am a player that decideds to use heavy tech skill,reads,mindgames and etc. Because i love it. Ive been very successful with it but why isnt it practical? Because someone who has less tech skill isnt at much of a disadvantage then me. Infact the point of this is Smash 4 does not force you to play or learn certain things before u become Decent, If theres any way to explain it i would make similarities from Smash 4 to Street Fighter Alpha 3, Street fighter Alpha 3 has Isms, Aism basicly the Street fighter alpha 1 play style, Xism the Street fighter 2 Turbo playstyle, And Vism the Street fighter Alpha 2 super combo playstyle. Dare i say smash 4 allows 64ism,Meleeism,And Brawlism. The tech from all games are in smash 4 but they do not conflict with their neighbors over at 64,melee,and brawl basicly Any playstyle from any smash game your from that your comfortable with Can be applied to smash 4, Before some people say all these techs were in other smash games they were useless then because the game forced you to play another way in competitive play and this current meta
Smash 4 is truely the most balanced game in the series not because of how balanced the characters are, its how amazing other ganes contributed without conflicting making a smash game where your free to play slower and make great choices and have success or surround yourself with techskill and aggression without being out of place or Generic and still have success, Please share your thoughts i would love to hear your responses

T0MMY

Smash Master
It's "L-cancel" in both 64 and Melee. The "L" stands for "Lag", as in the landing lag that gets canceled when you input a shield command during a specific time. It's a misnomer to call it Z-canceling, what are you canceling, "Zag" instead of "Lag"?

Anyway, I think balance is being overemphasized in competition. Probably just as a means for scrubs to push scrubby rules onto the game to handicap their opponents so they have more of a chance to win (or at least less emotional upset when losing). Just look at all the excuses for changes to rules being for "balance".
Just playing the game, adaptation and getting "gud" should be emphasized more than balance.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
When most people say "balanced", usually they talk about the characters, so the title is sort of misleading...?

Anyway, I guess the tl;dr of this is that Smash 4 has a balance of all the past games, which I agree with.

Last edited:

supersonicstep

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0361-8688-6963
When most people say "balanced", usually they talk about the characters, so the title is sort of misleading...?

Anyway, I guess the tl;dr of this is that Smash 4 has a balance of all the past games, which I agree with.
Thanks for the replay ill be completely honest this came off the top of my head so i didnt really think of a title until i was done, ill try and fix it

supersonicstep

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0361-8688-6963
It's "L-cancel" in both 64 and Melee. The "L" stands for "Lag", as in the landing lag that gets canceled when you input a shield command during a specific time. It's a misnomer to call it Z-canceling, what are you canceling, "Zag" instead of "Lag"?

Anyway, I think balance is being overemphasized in competition. Probably just as a means for scrubs to push scrubby rules onto the game to handicap their opponents so they have more of a chance to win (or at least less emotional upset when losing). Just look at all the excuses for changes to rules being for "balance".
Just playing the game, adaptation and getting "gud" should be emphasized more than balance.
DISCLAIMER:I am Very aware and outright Love The competitive 64,Melee,PM,Brawl,And Smash 4 Scene
I Used both L cancel and Z Cancel because thats the offical names for their respective controllers.

In competition yes its a completely different story somewhat but im speaking and responding off the people who Make smash 4 seem like its Less competitive then the other games in the series, balance yes is a Controversal word Since in theory i dont think no game can be truely balanced But in terms of the smash series There are 4 games offically and and 3 that had very different competitive scenes, that doesnt make them less competitive than each other with these different focus's in competitive play because all 4 of Can be Equal in determining competitiveness, I do agree that adaptation is required in any form of competition but again i used the word Balance because of not only the characters but how much the 3 games contribute without hindering the core competitive play of the respective other game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom