• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Scene in Calgary?

Naturu

Smash Rookie
NNID
NaturuNinten
3DS FC
0877-2961-1868
I wonder if there is any interest for Smash 4 in Calgary (besides Smash University, but only a few people show up and it's mainly focused on Melee and Brawl). I am interested in joining if anything comes up, but I'm still pretty young (16) and I don't think I am good enough yet.

Just thought I would put this up because I can't travel to Edmonton on a weekly basis for tournaments, even though the Smash scene up there is EXPLODING, and I know for a FACT more people play Smash 4 in Calgary and want the same kind of small tourney that I do.

SA_Gold

Smash Rookie
They have more entries for brawl then smash 4 at smash university? I live in Medicine Hat and was hoping to go there for tourneys. Dont really have any other options.

Naturu

Smash Rookie
NNID
NaturuNinten
3DS FC
0877-2961-1868
They have more entries for brawl then smash 4 at smash university? I live in Medicine Hat and was hoping to go there for tourneys. Dont really have any other options.
Yea they don't have much interest for Smash 4 up here. I'm ok with playing Brawl if that's the only thing there but would prefer playing Smash 4 a lot more, as I am so much better at it.

Rush

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if there is any interest for Smash 4 in Calgary (besides Smash University, but only a few people show up and it's mainly focused on Melee and Brawl). I am interested in joining if anything comes up, but I'm still pretty young (16) and I don't think I am good enough yet.

Just thought I would put this up because I can't travel to Edmonton on a weekly basis for tournaments, even though the Smash scene up there is EXPLODING, and I know for a FACT more people play Smash 4 in Calgary and want the same kind of small tourney that I do.
Hmm last I recall the meetings were quite large... and Calgary Brawl is actually and unfortunately pretty dead =\ so I'm not sure where that came from lol. Did you join the facebook groups (calgar+alberta ones) or attend meetings reguarly? Otherwise...I think you are already missing out lol.

Last edited:

Naturu

Smash Rookie
NNID
NaturuNinten
3DS FC
0877-2961-1868
Hmm last I recall the meetings were quite large... and Calgary Brawl is actually and unfortunately pretty dead =\ so I'm not sure where that came from lol. Did you join the facebook groups (calgar+alberta ones) or attend meetings reguarly? Otherwise...I think you are already missing out lol.
Wait nvrmnd... just found out about Otafest and the Smash 4 tournament there. Gonna participate with a friend. :bee: I appreciate the info though

Last edited:

kithkin

Smash Champion
Yeah I don't know where you got the information from, brawl events don't really happen anymore.

The last smash 4 tournament I hosted (Feb 14-15) had over 64 smash 4 entrants, soooooooo you should absolutely follow the facebook groups as they house pretty much all of the discussion regarding all of the games.

But yeah, tons of smash 4

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Ya, Brawl rarely gets played at meetings and basically never gets hosted at tournaments anymore.

I would say over this semester, the Friday U of C meetings are of comparable size to the Edmonton Saturday of U of A ones. Like kithkin said, there's a pretty large Smash 4 scene in Calgary, and there are always 4+ set-ups at the weekly meetings. The meetings will begin again in the Summer on Thursdays, if you're interested.

Otafest is a good opportunity to get involved with the community, and it's also probably one of Alberta's largest tournaments. Good luck!

Naturu

Smash Rookie
NNID
NaturuNinten
3DS FC
0877-2961-1868
Yeah I don't know where you got the information from, brawl events don't really happen anymore.

The last smash 4 tournament I hosted (Feb 14-15) had over 64 smash 4 entrants, soooooooo you should absolutely follow the facebook groups as they house pretty much all of the discussion regarding all of the games.

But yeah, tons of smash 4
Well, I'm glad that there is a big Smash 4 scene up here, because I love that game. Appreciate the advice, I will make sure to check up on Facebook for anything happening locally. Thanks!

Naturu

Smash Rookie
NNID
NaturuNinten
3DS FC
0877-2961-1868
Ya, Brawl rarely gets played at meetings and basically never gets hosted at tournaments anymore.

I would say over this semester, the Friday U of C meetings are of comparable size to the Edmonton Saturday of U of A ones. Like kithkin said, there's a pretty large Smash 4 scene in Calgary, and there are always 4+ set-ups at the weekly meetings. The meetings will begin again in the Summer on Thursdays, if you're interested.

Otafest is a good opportunity to get involved with the community, and it's also probably one of Alberta's largest tournaments. Good luck!
Thanks! I'll check out the U of C weekly meetings and probably will participate if there is a genuine interest in Smash 4 there. Just two things, is there an age limit to enter the weekly meetings there? Do you have to be a student there?

Wow, I didn't expect to get so many replies on this thread... Thanks for the support, it makes me feel better that there are people who live in the same city that share a common interest! :D

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Thanks! I'll check out the U of C weekly meetings and probably will participate if there is a genuine interest in Smash 4 there. Just two things, is there an age limit to enter the weekly meetings there? Do you have to be a student there?

Wow, I didn't expect to get so many replies on this thread... Thanks for the support, it makes me feel better that there are people who live in the same city that share a common interest! :D
There is no age limit and you don't need to be a U of C student. There are also no membership fees over the Summer, so you can just show up and play some Smash 4! Bring a controller though.

Rush

Smash Apprentice
I like how there was both a Calgary AND Edmonton thread that said each city was dead and Smash at University was small lmaooo.

Top Bottom