• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 player looking to switch needing guidence

Kevin Sweeney

Smash Rookie
Hey! I'm a long time gamer who's played competitive games for around 8 years who has realized the smash franchise is my favorite type of game to date (Had played: WoW, SC2, and LoL).

I picked up smash 4 and a wii u because it seemed to have a ton of hype around it and have loved the game for the past 6 months or so. Problem is, I've always been more fond of watching melee games more than smash 4, to the point that I probably just have an equal understanding of many characters on each even though I've never really played melee.

I know that PM has extremely similar physics to melee and my friend has let me borrow his wii which has it installed while I save up for melee and my own wii, and I was wondering what thing's I could practice in that game while I wait to get melee for myself?

My biggest issue with the game is that I'm really bad at doing the actions I want to, which is natural playing a game for the first time but with the game only having level 9 bots loaded in it seems I can't find a viable way to practice outside of training mode.

TL;DR: What can a complete melee/PM newcomer do in PM to improve as I wait to get melee?

TehGuitarLord

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slice_O_Pie
3DS FC
1203-9544-5962
I would go into training and try to get all your tech skill down. While it feels different going from melee to pm or pm to melee, it's not that radically different that you would have to relearn everything. Watch the crazy long tutorial on YouTube that covers everything.

I would also find a character, as there aren't that many differences from pm to melee in regards to the top 7. Things change when you get to mid and low tiers, but if you can get like a decent Marth, Sheik, Falco, Fox, etc in pm, you should be fine. Pretty much all characters have their own specific tech skill that almost none of the other cast has, so it would be wise to get that down too.

Don't make the levels for cpu's too high (1-4) because the higher levels of cpu's in pm will constantly laser and shield pressure you, which you probably aren't ready do try to deal with.

ArcDawn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1993-8333-6433
learn the basic ATs (WD,DD,l-cancel) and then try to understand how to use your character to approach and stay safe (like committing vs pressuring in SC or poking at towers vs going all in in mobas) and some basic combos like tehguitarlord u can practice on low level cpus. Try to understand why people use the ATs and in what situations to use it in and eventually you'll get it down in your own gameplan but don't make ATs the focus of your game. The most important thing to know is how the flow of the game works and there's a few really good guides on smashboards about it.

BTW are you on teamliquid strategy? what league were you in SC2?

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
I might be able to provide you a cheaper way of getting Melee. Rather than spending, oh, $200 on ebay or whatever website, use Melee 20XX. Melee 20XX is the exact same thing as Melee, but with added features such as more stages, a custom Battlefield map, and l-cancelling tools that can help you. It'll take about 30 minutes~ or so to set it up. The only downside to this would be needing a 2GB SD card or USB.

Here's a link to the original Melee 20XX post:
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...re-alt-stages-costumes-new-debug-menu.351221/
And here are instructions to set it up:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l_l5kpMerHY6IE92lia2aM3F6iL7WyQvTEU7pPe_7LU/edit?pli=1

I would suggest finding a character you're comfortable with first. After finding that character you're most comfortable with, try and get some tech down. After getting your tech down, try going up against a computer, but don't jump the gun and go straight to the maximum CPU level. Slowly work your way up from the minimum CPU level.

Watching some high-level action of your character on YouTube may help too, as it could give you ideas to incorporate into your playstyle.

$200? Dang. Where are you buying from? With the prices I am seeing I think you should be able to get the system, controller, game, and memory card with shipping for like $100 tops if you are not going bargain hunting.

Anyway, do what you can to replicate the environment of melee. From what I remember Fountain of Dreams and Dreamland are not really like their melee counterparts. Platform movement in FoD is weird and DL is too small on DL in P:M.

Go with the aforementioned stuff above too I think with by picking a melee character and simply go at execution.

Kevin Sweeney

Smash Rookie
learn the basic ATs (WD,DD,l-cancel) and then try to understand how to use your character to approach and stay safe (like committing vs pressuring in SC or poking at towers vs going all in in mobas) and some basic combos like tehguitarlord u can practice on low level cpus. Try to understand why people use the ATs and in what situations to use it in and eventually you'll get it down in your own gameplan but don't make ATs the focus of your game. The most important thing to know is how the flow of the game works and there's a few really good guides on smashboards about it.

BTW are you on teamliquid strategy? what league were you in SC2?
I've been practicing L-Canceling and wavedashing has come pretty easy because I tried to do it in smash 4 and the timing is more demanding in that game. As far as SC2 goes I really only spent around 6 months in it while playing wow arenas more seriously at the same time so I was either gold or plat, can't remember, it was during the beginning of the first xpac.

I might be able to provide you a cheaper way of getting Melee. Rather than spending, oh, $200 on ebay or whatever website, use Melee 20XX. Melee 20XX is the exact same thing as Melee, but with added features such as more stages, a custom Battlefield map, and l-cancelling tools that can help you. It'll take about 30 minutes~ or so to set it up. The only downside to this would be needing a 2GB SD card or USB.

Here's a link to the original Melee 20XX post:
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...re-alt-stages-costumes-new-debug-menu.351221/
And here are instructions to set it up:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l_l5kpMerHY6IE92lia2aM3F6iL7WyQvTEU7pPe_7LU/edit?pli=1

I would suggest finding a character you're comfortable with first. After finding that character you're most comfortable with, try and get some tech down. After getting your tech down, try going up against a computer, but don't jump the gun and go straight to the maximum CPU level. Slowly work your way up from the minimum CPU level.

Watching some high-level action of your character on YouTube may help too, as it could give you ideas to incorporate into your playstyle.
Gonna try and do this now, I'm using my girlfriend's mac because my pc's broken so it'll be fun being super confused the entire time, but thanks for the links :)

Last edited:

ArcDawn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1993-8333-6433
I've been practicing L-Canceling and wavedashing has come pretty easy because I tried to do it in smash 4 and the timing is more demanding in that game. As far as SC2 goes I really only spent around 6 months in it while playing wow arenas more seriously at the same time so I was either gold or plat, can't remember, it was during the beginning of the first xpac.

Gonna try and do this now, I'm using my girlfriend's mac because my pc's broken so it'll be fun being super confused the entire time, but thanks for the links :)
slightly confused because l-cancelling and wavedashing doesn't exist in smash 4 but okay. was wondering about sc2 cuz a friend of mine was playing against some teamliquid people

Top Bottom