• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 effect on tech skill?

Mystic-

Smash Apprentice
So there's a smash 4 event at the weekly I go to. I don't like the game very much, but since I'd probably lose early and there aren't any friendly set ups early on anyways I was considering starting to play it. However, a lot of people say it screws with their Melee tech skill. Any anecdotal stories about its impact on your ability to play Melee? For what it's worth I'm trying to play a different character in every game to prevent too much confusion when switching back and forth (just PM and Melee for now)

M.C.Jeducation

Smash Apprentice
Well the games play quite differently so some of the strategy from Sm4sh might rub off on you if youre playing it a lot.

For example I was in M2Ks stream the other day when he was playing Melee and he said that he now rolls a lot more in Melee because of Sm4sh. That being said I think the impact would be pretty minimal, I play 64 and Melee (As well as plenty of other fighting games) and don't find that it affects me in any significant way. Hell, I play Falcon in both 64 and Melee and even though sometimes Ill do weird 64 stuff in melee, it doesn't happen frequently.

Really if you don't like the game very much then I don't see why you'd want to play it. But if its just to kill time at your weekly its probably not a big deal.

SAUS

Smash Ace
I haven't played smash 4 much, but I didn't find a problem from when I played it and then went back to melee. Same with brawl, no issue from brawl to melee. However, Brawl to PM omg I could not play PM after haha. It's probably different from person to person, though.

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
I find that even just adjusting from PM to Melee would completely mess up my timings on Melee. Probably means I just haven't practiced or played enough though :p

Massive

Smash Champion
Going from Melee > Smash 4 is usually alright, going from Smash 4 > melee requires some warm-up sets in my experience.

I've noticed that my brain and reaction speed slows way down for about 10 minutes after I've been playing smash 4 rigorously, but I am able to combat many of the context switching issues by not playing a character I play in other smash games (I play Palutena).

Originally I straight up refused to play Smash 4 and Melee in the same sitting, mostly because I was trying to play jigglypuff. The smash 4 C-stick messed me up so badly I had to switch mains completely.

Last edited:

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
To me, smash 4 is too slow compared to melee to have any bearing on tech skill. If I'm averaging 4 to 7 inputs per second in melee, I'm probably only averaging 1 to 3 inputs per second in smash 4. Thats a huge difference.

Squire

Smash Apprentice
I played Smash 4 for about a week recently, without stopping to play Melee in the middle. It took maybe an hour to get back into the old Melee habits again when I was done. I only play Smash 4 about 1/30th as much as I play Melee, and I just do it socially with my friends who don't give a damn about tech skill. It's never had an effect on my Melee abilities.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It might have an effect on your habits, but not your technical skill.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
I find Smash4U to be like Melee with training wheels. You never forget how to ride the bike but if you go slapping back on your training wheels at the BMX park you're gonna wipe out a bunch and not be able to do your tricks properly.

Somewhere in this analogy is a vaguely coherent answer to the question.

meebius

Smash Apprentice
I have trouble adjusting to the different B-reverses in Sm4sh and Melee

Top Bottom