• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 - Dash Dancing??

Is it usable??

• Total voters

Balxeyrd - Bread

Smash Rookie
Ok so I don't exactly own a copy of Smash 4 just yet, but in a week or 2 I will. I have also played a few hours on 3DS.

Anyways, I have been studying some of the new possible advanced techniques, one of which I found called Perfect Pivoting.

A quick video for those who haven't heard of it yet.

I was starting to think, "what if you did it extremely fast in different directions over and over?" which would require you to do the pivots flicking -> <- or <- -> and as soon as you do it one way do it the opposite, I know it sounds difficult but it might actually be pretty simple, just fast. I would think it would look something like this -> <- <- -> -> <- <- etc...

So basically start it off as a pivot then just double tap each direction after the first, you would need very agile thumbs to perform I'm guessing. After thinking of this technique I looked online to see if any info exists on it already and this is what I found. If done correctly, it would probably look something like this.

But of course the obvious question, is it usable in advanced play or is it just a skill spam for looks/taunting. Like I said I don't own a copy of the game just yet so I can't quite do any testing. So I'd appreciate it if you would check it out for yourself and comment below your thoughts.

Extra Perfect Pivoting!

Last edited:

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
Dash Dancing dates back to Melee (probably 64 as well, but I don't know much about 64) where it is very widely used as it's great for momentum mixups and mindgames, as well as a quick way to change momentum. However, in Melee, the window to do it is actually the whole dash animation, allowing you to fake out your opponent reacting to the longer dash animation. There is also a lot more with the technique that I can't or won't explain because there are people more knowledgeable about it who have been talking about it for years, and this is also the Smash 4 boards.

However, in Smash 4 (and Brawl), the window is incredibly small, as you have a very short amount of time in the startup of the dash that you can dash in the other direction. Sometimes you can even mess up while you're in the dash dance because the window really is that small. Also, this lessens the fake-out potential of the tech greatly, and the chances that you'll have to use it will be pretty much gone since the window is so small. DDing in Smash 4 has very, very limited use so you will rarely, if ever, see it used at a higher level, or at least that is what it seems like right now.

I did see Nairo use it in front of a shielding opponent once I think 2 weeks after release, but yeah, Dash Dancing isn't the best here.

Last edited:

Teh Sandwich

Smash Apprentice
I dash dance in competitive matches all the time. Not as much as people do in melee. I still use it quite a bit though. Especially playing as c falc or fox. It's a great mind game along side with empty short hops, making it hard for your opponent to know when you're actually going to commit to a dash grab or dash attack.

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
Dash Dancing dates back to Melee (probably 64 as well, but I don't know much about 64) where it is very widely used as it's great for momentum mixups and mindgames, as well as a quick way to change momentum. However, in Melee, the window to do it is actually the whole dash animation, allowing you to fake out your opponent reacting to the longer dash animation. There is also a lot more with the technique that I can't or won't explain because there are people more knowledgeable about it who have been talking about it for years, and this is also the Smash 4 boards.

However, in Smash 4 (and Brawl), the window is incredibly small, as you have a very short amount of time in the startup of the dash that you can dash in the other direction. Sometimes you can even mess up while you're in the dash dance because the window really is that small. Also, this lessens the fake-out potential of the tech greatly, and the chances that you'll have to use it will be pretty much gone since the window is so small. DDing in Smash 4 has very, very limited use so you will rarely, if ever, see it used at a higher level, or at least that is what it seems like right now.

I did see Nairo use it in front of a shielding opponent once I think 2 weeks after release, but yeah, Dash Dancing isn't the best here.
I understand the point about faking your opponent after a longer dash, but I don't think 'hard to do' = competitively unviable. If that were the case, IC's would have been competitively worthless in brawl since their chaingrabs were very hard to do. I, with primarily brawl background, don't have a great understanding of dashdancing applications, but I feel like if it's included in the game, then there's no real reason for it not to be used in the meta in the next year or so. I've just thought that the reason we havent seen it yet is because sm4sh's competitive scene so far is primarily made up of brawl players. But, I suppose m2k hasn't been using it, so I dunno.
Edit: I'm not trying to say brawl players don't know how to apply dd'ing, just that they'd stick to what they know best.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
There is also a extended dash dancing with foxtrots. It's a bit harder to do.

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
I understand the point about faking your opponent after a longer dash, but I don't think 'hard to do' = competitively unviable. If that were the case, IC's would have been competitively worthless in brawl since their chaingrabs were very hard to do. I, with primarily brawl background, don't have a great understanding of dashdancing applications, but I feel like if it's included in the game, then there's no real reason for it not to be used in the meta in the next year or so. I've just thought that the reason we havent seen it yet is because sm4sh's competitive scene so far is primarily made up of brawl players. But, I suppose m2k hasn't been using it, so I dunno.
Edit: I'm not trying to say brawl players don't know how to apply dd'ing, just that they'd stick to what they know best.
Well, with ICs, they also had incredible reward. With dashdancing, however, the reward isn't as great as it is fairly proportional to it's window of opportunity. Characters with longer dashes, and subsequently longer DDs use them more often and efficiently as they allow for you to fake out your opponent better. If you spend more time in the dash, your opponent is more likely to react to that dash. DDing has some uses in Smash 4, but with everyone's being miniscule the application is almost nonexistent.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
Funny there's a thread about Dash Dancing here. I was wondering actually, what is this?

He says it's a dash dance of sorts. Looks more like a fox trot to me. Is this the same as what's on top of the threaD?

Last edited:

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
Funny there's a thread about Dash Dancing here. I was wondering actually, what is this?

He says it's a dash dance of sorts. Looks more like a fox trot to me. Is this the same as what's on top of the threaD?
I might be wrong, but that just looks like back and forth foxtrots to me.

David Viran

Smash Lord
I might be wrong, but that just looks like back and forth foxtrots to me.
It kinda is but is just a longer dash dance hints the name extended dash dance. You can combine it with the smaller dash dance to weave in and out of hitboxes.

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
It kinda is but is just a longer dash dance hints the name extended dash dance. You can combine it with the smaller dash dance to weave in and out of hitboxes.
Not really since during the dash, after the short window to DD and before the end of the dash for the foxtrot you are locked into that dash. I guess if you space it rigrht, then sure, but I doubt its helpful there.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Not really since during the dash, after the short window to DD and before the end of the dash for the foxtrot you are locked into that dash. I guess if you space it rigrht, then sure, but I doubt its helpful there.
But you could PP so you can do anything but that is easier said than done.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
Couldn't make a video of my own but at about 2:20 dash dancing is exhibited. It looks quite viable but only for certain characters and the window is super small, but it can be done.

Top Bottom