• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Advanced Technique/Combo Discussion. And temporary (personal) Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Warning Received
Guaranteed Unique Combos (at certain %s)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Mario
Auto
Radically
Injuring
Operation
Also Known As: MARIO
how to do? -> Grab -> D-throw -> Up-B
Comments: (with the plumbers, (and doctor) you can go for many things like up-tilt out of D-throw to mix it up, however, those aren't always as efficient
Compatible with:Mario, Luigi, Dr.Mario
Damage Values
Mario - 17%
Dr.Mario - 12% if done on ground (IDON) 19% if done in air (IDIA) (to do, Grab -> D-throw -> Instant jump -> Up-B sweetspot)
Luigi - 7%
-------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advanced Techniques
-------------------------------------------------------------
Ground Momentum N-B - is actually pretty easy to do. while running, tap the B button, this however, can be lead to something else that's harder.
--
Usages: this can be used to approach in an unexpected way and is good for characters like Dr.Mario who's Clone Balls Pills would just bounce right over somebody's head while airborne.
---
Reversed Ground Momentum N-B - This one, along with the first, is possible to do in both Brawl for sure and Melee (if i'm correct), it wasn't ever used back then but it might have some uses now in smash 4.
How to do? Run the press B then instantly tap the circle pad in the opposite direction of where you are going.
--
Usages: this is similar to the first one listed however you get a noticeably higher amount of forward momentum while doing this and can be used to trick you foe into thinking you are running away just to be RGMNB'd (Reversed Ground Momentum N-B'd) right into a combo that could change the tide of the battle
(both of the two seem to work really well with the likes of Captain Olimar)
---
Insta-Plucking - Press N-B as Olimar or Alph (honestly doesn't matter) then instantly use a command. what will happen is depending on what you decide to do, you can either pluck or continue to approach or instantly use a pikmin. (further elaborated below)
--
Usages: With this, once the Pikmin is plucked, you can instantly react however you want, so you could run forward -> Pikmin Pluck -> roll back about as fast as usual and have a Pikmin to boot while this is occurring.
This is good to trick people into thinking they can attack a pikminless olimar, then striking your foe when least expected. If done correctly with a pikmin move, what should happen is the pikmin gets plucked, and while it's still in the air, you can attack with it (almost like a pseudo counter).
---
Pikmin Toting - How to do? during Olimar's up-b, after about 75 frames, you will be allowed to use a non special aerial attack... that's it... but let me elaborate on how good this really is below.
--
Usages: Have you ever played as Olimar then eventually get knocked off stage and try to recover? well you know what you enemy does then. Your recovery is predictable and you have to sacrifice your offense just to survive. you're done, right? NO. What i'd recommend is keeping at least 1 Pikmin with you then using up b, their Lucina or Mac or whoever they might be will try to smash you, so once you are nearby, whack them with one of your attack and suddenly the match could be yours. This is excellent for mindgames.
--
there are two drawbacks however
--
1. If you decide to attack while flying your Winged Pikmin will fly away, preventing you from continuing you recovery.
2.Once you attack while recovering, you will still become helpless once the attack is complete.
Pair that up with the first one and it becomes very situational
---
New! (As of 10/14/14) - TNT Fling - Not the most... Advanced, but is still new nonetheless. How to Do?
With Duck Hunt Dog, Use N-B then immediately walk about 1 small step then use side tilt or down tilt. Usually competitive players tend to Use N-B then use Down-B to launch it in a similar degree. but this one doesn't have nearly as much startup lag, actually fires the TNT at a faster speed, and is more useful for horizontal approaches.
--
Usages: This is good for, once again, tricking up or even rushing down your opponents. and as said from above - "Usually competitive players tend to Use N-B then use Down-B to launch it in a similar degree. but this one doesn't have nearly as much startup lag, actually fires the TNT at a faster speed, and is more useful for horizontal approaches." This is also effective because simply mashing the b-button isn't very effective as it is not only extremely slow, but it has almost no horizontal growth yet an okay vertical growth, in addition to those two, you can only press b once this is out 9 times until the TNT automatically explodes. so with side-tilt, down-tilt, and down-b, this gives you many more options and better ones at that, and you can still press b 8 more times if i'm right to milk in extra distance and coverage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonus (Personal Tier List)
------------------------------------------------
This is a personal and temporary tier list for Smash 4 based upon reviews from myself, hundreds of competitive players, and tournament experiences. please remember that this is my personal collection of data and some of it not even i agree with but i want to be fair. Take it as you will and if you have any issues with it, shout it out in the comments. (but please don't troll) Thank You. (this is my first one (tier list) i ever attempted so sorry if the letters are incorrectly placed
---------------
A+
1.Duck Hunt Dog
2.Yoshi
3.Villager
4.Little Mac
--
A
5.Sheik
6.Mr.Game&Watch
7.Kirby
8.Mario
9.Link
10.Zelda
--
A-
11.Zero Suit Samus
12.Samus
13.Greninja
--
B+
14.Rob
15.Dr.Mario
16.Rosalina and Luma
17.Shulk
18.Pit
19.Mii Fighter
--
B
20.Lucario
21.Ness
22.Bowser
23.Lucina
--
B-
24.Ike
25.Peach
--
C
26.Olimar
27.Wario
28.Bowser Jr.
29.Toon Link
30. Robin
--
C-
31.Ganondorf
32.Fox
33.Captain Falcon
34.Charizard
35.Marth
--
D
36.Wii-Fit Trainer
37.Pikachu
38.Jigglypuff
--

D-
39.Luigi
40.Diddy Kong
41.Donkey Kong
42.King Dedede
--
E
43.Sonic
44.Dark Pit
45.Metaknight
--
F
46.Pac-Man
47.Mega Man
48.Palutena
49.Falco
50.Mii Gunner
51.Mii Swordsman
Again let me know what you think! and i will update this thread and technique list often and if you have anything to contribute, put it in the comments, thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
Meta Knight, King Dedede, and both Star Fox members are BELOW the Triforce?

Oh Sakurai, you do spoil me so!

Relatively serious questions, though:
1. Why would you place Mii Gunner & Swordsman (especially swordsman) at the very bottom?
2. Dedede has fallen quite a ways, and unlike Meta Knight and Team Star Fox I don't quite get what has changed, at least in my own experience with him. Care to explain?
3. Zelda's... really high up there. Like, I expected her to be higher than in Brawl, but that's REALLY high, especially considering that many people were initially rating her terribly. I'd like some thoughts on this, not just out of curiosity, but as a Zelda fan who wants to help bring out her best.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
what's the justification for G&W being that high? just wondering.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Mega Man as F-tier is really harsh, at least D-Tier for now until we actually find out more about the character.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
I don't understand this fascination with tiers this early in the meta. If you are going to make a tier list this early on, you can make it stronger by being less stratified, because there is not nearly enough data for a near 50 character roster to break down so neatly into 12 discrete categories. What makes Lucario, for instance, a whole level lower than Mii fighter? Does Lucario have poorer match-ups across the board? Why do his cons make him suffer more so than Mii, or does Mii have better air, ground, mix-ups?

If you have observed so many games, and have so much data, it would behoove you, and us, to actually give some reasoning on why you have broken up the roster in such a way.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Tier list making threads or posts are definitely outlawed here.

Also doesn't seem to cover advanced techniques that aren't already known/were in brawl.
Also seems to focus primarily on Mario and Duck Hunt, hence why isn't this stuff in their respective character boards?

Otherwise this seems almost bloggy and hard to absorb any worthwhile information from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom