• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Moveset Save Editor

MrCheeze

Smash Rookie
In the world of 3DS hacking, save editing is becoming increasingly accessible. Right now, anyone with a 9.2 firmware or less and a copy of Cubic Ninja can install PastaCFW and SaveDataFiler, which together allow you to extract, edit, and reinsert saves for both cartridges and installed games. (The Cubic Ninja requirement may go away in the future for old3DS. The firmware requirement will probably not.) It is now possible for anyone to run this on 9.9 (most recent) firmware, using Tubehax and save_manager!

With this being the case, I figured it would be useful to have a tool that can copy custom move presets from one save file to another. Not only that, it can generate the binary moveset data from scratch using a JSON file containing the moveset data. I've included an example file with the Evo 2015 movesets to demonstrate this. Finally, there is one separate bonus feature: automatically unlocking all characters/customs/outfits in a save file.
Download link is here. Requires Python 3 to run.

Basic usage, if you just want to insert the EVO movesets into your save file:
  • Extract the save using Save Manager (not gonna get into the details here). There should be an account_data.bin and system_data.bin, only the latter is important.
  • Generate movesets.bin from the included JSON file
  • Inject the generated movesets.bin into your system_data save.
  • Use Save Manager to reinsert the edited save to your game.
A couple minor gotchas. If you have the eShop version of the game, always insert saves that were edited from a newly extracted save, rather than an old one - each save contains four random bytes that change whenever you play the game, and the save will be rejected if they weren't the last ones to be saved. Also, on both versions, your Mii thumbnails will be wrong unless you edit and resave them.

Anyway, leaving this here, hopefully it will be useful to someone.

Last edited:
Woah. Woooaaaaah. This is incredible. Amazing, amazing work! Just curious, can this unlock other things like all stages or Smash Run powers as well?

MrCheeze

Smash Rookie
For sure, it's just a matter of mapping out the save file. Or just replacing your save entirely with someone else's 100% complete one, and copying the four anti-savegame-restore bytes from your own.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
cool stuff. i'm waiting in the hopes a browser exploit appears for pasta cfw, and maybe emunand support. then i can actually practice with other character's customs.

something else that interests me is custom equipment editing. do you know what the possibility of getting a +0/-0 smooth lander badge edited in is? my next question is, would the wii u version accept it to be transferred over?

Last edited:

MrCheeze

Smash Rookie
Last edited:

MrCheeze

Smash Rookie
Important update: Now that Tubehax has been released to run homebrew on the most recent firmware, and profi200 has put together a Save Manager, it is now possible for anyone with a 3DS to use this tool!

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I'm disappointed I didn't know about this!

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I believe it should, because you can still install homebrew on the latest firmware. Regardless, unlocking the customs is a one-time deal so you can do this once and then update your firmware in the future without worrying about it.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
I know it's a one-time thing, but it's easier to make the 3DS have the latest firmware than a specific version. I have already unlocked all custom moves manually, but I was thinking of putting this software on my old 3DS and letting everyone else in my scene use my 3DS for the purpose of unlocking all specials on their own 3DS cartridges so that I'm not the only one with them unlocked. Is it possible for me to download the Youtube app etc. on a 3DS that is not linked to a Nintendo Network account? I could just install it on my New 3DS XL, but I don't think I have a microSD card reader...

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
You won't be able to download the youtube app without updating the 3DS to the latest firmware. But, tubehax was updated so that it could work on the latest firmware. I'm assuming the homebrew software used for this also works on the latest firmware.

http://smealum.github.io/3ds/

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Recently, I've been feeling quite disturbed by how random the equipment drops are in Smash Wii U, and I was hoping for a way that I could set up the equipment that I want. I do own a copy of Smash 3DS, but I'm very hesitant about doing any of this, simply because I'm afraid of what will happen to my 3DS system if any Homebrew is executed on it.

On a side note, my copy of Smash 3DS is retail.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't mean to double post, but this information should be heavily noted for anyone who wishes to hack their equipment.

The newest system update that was released today for the Nintendo 3DS is version 10.6.0-31. This version completely fixes all the browserhax exploits that are available right now. You are also required to update your system if you want to use "any" of the online services that involve the Nintendo Network.

Simply put, once you've updated your system to 10.6.0-31, you're pretty much screwed with using browserhax to run Homebrew.

Last edited:

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
Does that make it possible to have all equipements of generic type with 0/0 stats? that way, we could add some effects to the character without affecting their stats (like weaker air dodges, ledge snap smaller, shield recover slower etc. (as seen on this page http://www.ssbwiki.com/Equipment )

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Does that make it possible to have all equipements of generic type with 0/0 stats? that way, we could add some effects to the character without affecting their stats (like weaker air dodges, ledge snap smaller, shield recover slower etc. (as seen on this page http://www.ssbwiki.com/Equipment )
An equipment's stat boost and stat drop can NOT be set to 0, or else it will be removed from the game. Also, customizations that use hacked equipment need to be legal by game standards in order to be copied onto Smash Wii U. This means that the equipment has to follow the calculations that are shown here, but there's also a range value that seems to use a lower integer as the equipment draws closer to its highest possible positive value; if that range value isn't modified as well, the equipment could be considered irregular by the game.

Top Bottom