• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3 HD Remix - The Thread

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Man, I really want to try this out but my GPU ain't good enough.
Well depends on your GPU, I know Dolphin, and especially Ishiiruka Dolphin can be rather helpful with reducing the stress. I wouldn't mind knowing what some peoples specs are in general so I can get an idea of what the lower limit is for the pack.

As for what Cynapse said yeah you could do just menu stuff and delete the big S3_characters folder in the dolphin load files. You would just have to put in the S3/3C pacs as mine are designed to have the Brawl/PM textures as default.

I've taken a slight texture break since my current character is a special collaboration. In the mean time I took some S3 preview images, plus renders I already had and did this.

(no headband for you Ike, it looks so ugly X_X )

I managed to even do all the Fox colours (horray for recolouring headgear). I'm not sure how I feel though about including them when I can't add the HD CSPs as well. But here is a nice sample!

Last edited:

Panudroid

Smash Journeyman
Oh ok thanks. I'll try this sometime. (Have exams going on right now)

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Well depends on your GPU, I know Dolphin, and especially Ishiiruka Dolphin can be rather helpful with reducing the stress. I wouldn't mind knowing what some peoples specs are in general so I can get an idea of what the lower limit is for the pack.
I had no idea a custom Dolphin build like this existed! Thanks for that. My GPU can't even handle regular PM (laptop sadly) but now maybe I'll have more of a chance.

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Okay small PM updates, big Brawl updates.

PM gets those new alt ROB renders I did a while back. Plus some Ike stock icons.

Brawl now has a full pack, this means with rimlighting and everything. Some small improvements here and there as well! In addition I released a Team Sonic DLC for Brawl that makes Red and Green Sonic actually Red and Green. It's handy if you actually play team battles!

(PS if people want to help port over some PM HD alts as Extra Content for the Brawl Full Pack, I won't complain if you do then post them here as zips!)

Cynapse Cynapse has assisted with releasing the Nanobuds pack for both PM versions, with all the renders for Smash 3 stuff that Nano has made. Cynapse will be taking care of this for all of us, so that is rather cool!

Last edited:
I have a question about sd card priority. If I have a file on my sd card that would normally overwrite an in-game file (for example mario's first portrait in sc_selchar.pac), will it always choose to load that file over the hd one in the /load folder? I'm trying to make my own build based on your example but it always chooses to read whats on my virtual sd card, but funnily enough, not where the other menus are concerned, so I'm a bit confused on the priority here.

My desired outcome is that if dolphin finds a replacement texture in my load folder, it will load that one over what it finds on the sd card, but I fear something in the codeset will prevent this.

Last edited:

Cynapse

Smash Ace
I have a question about sd card priority. If I have a file on my sd card that would normally overwrite an in-game file (for example mario's first portrait in sc_selchar.pac), will it always choose to load that file over the hd one in the /load folder? I'm trying to make my own build based on your example but it always chooses to read whats on my virtual sd card, but funnily enough, not where the other menus are concerned, so I'm a bit confused on the priority here.
The textures in this download are named with IDs of the default textures in PM. If you change something on the card, it's ID will be different as well.

The textures in this download are named with IDs of the default textures in PM. If you change something on the card, it's ID will be different as well.
Ohhhhh. Thank you so much for mentioning this was down to texture ids. I had it dump textures, then renamed the default mario costume the id it was giving me for my custom one, and it loaded the hd texture instead. Fastest Ive ever solved what seemed like a huge issue, thanks Cynapse!

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Hey some updates! Well by updates I mean the PM Full pack only, I've been a bit busy!

As a surprise to nobody here is Brawl Zero Suit Samus in glorious HD, the added light detail and 0 compression really makes her stand out. In addition S3 Link is up with his HD portraits and stocks, as well as new OoT Ganondorf stocks.

A huge shout-out as well to Llamajuice, davidvkimball, and all the other PM Legacy contributors because their HD stage textures have been included here for your playing pleasure!

Since this is my thread I figure I'll muse about S3 Link and S3C OoT Link, while I think the S3 update is great I feel the two portraits look two similar and creates a weird jump cut effect. So like with OoT Ganondorf I'll likely see to it that OoT Link gets another pose and I'll have that one be the main one for this pack at least. I have one idea I made rather quickly so I hope to get it out once OoT Link gets updated.

If anyone would like to port over the new additions to the other 3 packs and save me a ton of time just message me. You'd be able to do the Brawl full pack by yourself, but the netplay packs will need some additional texture support for ZSS.

Coming along nicely:

and this is just lovely:

EDIT: All packs are updated now, however netplay packs don't get new Link cause the textures aren't HD yet.

EDIT 2: Toon Link pics added

Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Hey so things are happening rather quickly with Smash 3, and these files are getting really big.

I'm going to make things a bit easier for some of you (although a bit more annoying for me) and add in patches

Brawl Full: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwxggg0dkcafbjj/Brawl_Patch1.zip?dl=0
PM Full: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ll6xulny2g0lzdm/PM_Patch1.zip?dl=0

Falco, Wario (Ware costume only), and Yoshi HD assets have been added. The main downloads are updated too. I'll try to keep these patches up for a while until I start running out of Dropbox space again.

Oh until I get source files I won't update the netplay packs, no point not going to bother. You'll understand when you're older.

Last edited:

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Hrm. Why not just recolor Falco's feathers like so?

Orange.png

tex1_128x160_d562f90793e65381_14.png
And why crop out his reflector in the CSP? Is the goal here to mimic the S3 assets as closely as possible? Then again I suppose it doesn't matter all that much as I can make edits myself.

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Well for one I can see the faint blue colour, the way I do it is easier and less headache. That takes a much longer time to get ready.

Anyways:
Brawl Patch https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7wczs2g69j2xvl/Brawl_Patch2.zip?dl=0
PM Patch https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qnfpo4j1snd40y/PM_Patch2.zip?dl=0

This is literally just the Mario portraits (The Yoshi stuff is the same from what I understand, and ledge fixed the PM compatibility error a while back). I didn't include the new pacs because well I don't have the source files yet. So if you want to sacrifice the HD textures for the new specs and extra new details, feel free to download it from the S3 thread and add it in. I'll wait a bit longer.

Oh but I did add this for PM

So this might be the breaks for a while now... but who knows what the future has in store ; )

Last edited:

bngmn

Smash Cadet
Hi! smash 3 project recently released their new updated Mario. if i download would i still be able to load your hd textures in game?

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Hi! smash 3 project recently released their new updated Mario. if i download would i still be able to load your hd textures in game?
Not yet I'll hopefully be able to do that soon. See what I wrote above. I am however a few steps closer to that goal : )

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Brawl Patch 3: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0lhq52t6v7mcpc0/AACWBMndTTGAISt2nkNRo2Kda?dl=0
PM Patch 3: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xtdjhxg7334cbks/AABBPYbfPoJpj8BSJhrLpeDOa?dl=0

So yeah here is a ton of good stuff HD TOON LINK TEXTURES, HD MARIO TEXTURES

AND HD ASSETS FOR ZELDA, SHEIK, GANONDORF, AND CAPPPTAIIIN FALCOOOON!

HD Toon Link was graciously already made by the Smash 3 team, and has found a home outside of its render. They didn't want to make my life too easy however, so not everything is done in HD... yet.

I also added a Hilda pack to the OP for PM: https://www.dropbox.com/s/236310nm8z72xcy/Hilda Zelda.zip?dl=0

it replaces the purple Zelda costume, although you could edit it easily enough for another.

Also until further notice I won't update the netplay packs, it's not worth it at the moment and I don't have any reason to believe anybody uses them.

Last edited:

bngmn

Smash Cadet
Will you be adding hd textures for link and the other upcoming smash 3 update characters?:)

Layell

Smash Journeyman
As soon as the characters are

a) released
b) have HD textures made for me
c) have HD textures made by me

I will release them : )

Right now I am balancing a few things for both 3/3C which will of course eventually get sent out here. Once more things get released I'd of course love some more help. But for now I have to keep to myself.

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Lawrd Layell, have you done goofed? Ganon and Sheik are missing their CSPs, and Wario is missing his classic duds altogether. (probably intentional but I want them lol)

Also I've got Giga stuff ready to roll aside from stocks as I am unable to rip their IDs at work.

I stumbled upon the exact crop used for D3's CSPs because I'm cool like that, but now that you're buddies with the big boys I suppose it doesn't matter all that much. Which reminds me: where be the Shogun renders?

Oh and I forgot that the little FD Link pack I made has been ready for some time now.

Layell

Smash Journeyman
I have updated the Brawl and PM packs, for complex reasons I am not doing a patch today, I would highly suggest you delete the S3_characters file in your games texture load and replace it with this new download.

They include missing things as mentioned above, as well as S3C Brawl Pit, and for PM the updated S3C Classic Pit and S3C Retro Suit Samus courtesy of Nezha the Scout Nezha the Scout

I know I certainly wouldn't want to get anywhere near her in a fight!

Also just out of curiosity, how many people here actually use these packs? I'd love to see some more posts. In particular I'd like to know if anyone actually uses the Brawl pack. Please let yourselves be known (Cynapse doesn't count).

EDIT: Cap is up now properly too

Last edited:

bngmn

Smash Cadet
I use the project m patch!
Also which characters have been updated?:D

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Cynapse doesn't count
Discrimination!

Edit: Also would you like me to send you the finished Giga assets? They're quite lovely if I do say so myself.

I was comparing your Pit stuff to mine and it seems we managed the exact same crop for the CSS. It must be a sign.
tex1_80x56_476d2dd4717509b9_14.png

Last edited:
Does anyone here know how to get Dolphin to dump the big preview images on the stage select screen? It dumps my icons and text just fine, but not the larger preview image. Is it because its in CMPR? /runs to go re-encode and check this

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Does anyone here know how to get Dolphin to dump the big preview images on the stage select screen? It dumps my icons and text just fine, but not the larger preview image. Is it because its in CMPR? /runs to go re-encode and check this
Dolphin won't dump what is already being loaded. If it's just not dumping what should be like at all, then idk.

Layell

Smash Journeyman
What I do when something is already HD and I want the ID name is I unload the custom textures with the texture dump on. Then I find the image in my dump and search for the code.

Dolphin won't dump what is already being loaded. If it's just not dumping what should be like at all, then idk.
I'm legit stumped, changing it to C18 just made them disappear.
What I do when something is already HD and I want the ID name is I unload the custom textures with the texture dump on. Then I find the image in my dump and search for the code.
No, that's like step one, I completely understand that. The part that was giving me grief was that Dolphin didnt feel like dumping my CMPR textures. I ended up importing them as RGB5A3 and sizing them at 44x44 to avoid size issues. It dumped those fine and I did as you said.

Pretty pleased with my results, honestly. http://imgur.com/a/oCc9u

Htf did you get the preview image so damn big?
Inserted at 44x44 and redirected texture load to a 512x512 png. It's pretty sweet. If the respective Smash teams could be a bit quicker with releasing renders for their already completed work (Snake, etc) I could be finished and actually share this in a completed state...

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
I updated my previous Falco only patch with Outset Toon Link, Melee Fox, and that Giga Bowser stuff (although I might change Giga Dry to my alt render just cause later). Hope you all enjoy.

Last edited:

InfamousFelix

Smash Rookie
Excuse my ignorance, but If I wanted to combine this with ALM5252's custom PM build, would it be possible to do so, & if so how exactly would I do that?

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Excuse my ignorance, but If I wanted to combine this with ALM5252's custom PM build, would it be possible to do so, & if so how exactly would I do that?
It honestly depends on how much he has changed. My build is dependent on a mostly vanilla pm build with my fighter files is the projectm/pf/fighter section.

If you put the default character images files in (http://smashboards.com/threads/guid...-m-3-6-csps-bsps-rsps-and-stock-icons.407758/) then it should be mostly good. If he changes stage preview images though a lot won't be HD then.

InfamousFelix

Smash Rookie
It honestly depends on how much he has changed. My build is dependent on a mostly vanilla pm build with my fighter files is the projectm/pf/fighter section.

If you put the default character images files in (http://smashboards.com/threads/guid...-m-3-6-csps-bsps-rsps-and-stock-icons.407758/) then it should be mostly good. If he changes stage preview images though a lot won't be HD then.
Basically what he did was add a whole bunch of characters (the total roster consists of 82 characters) & replaced certain stages. However he does have a version that retains the vanilla stages. If I used that version, would everything (mostly at least) work?

P.S. all of the files are in the same directories that they were in as PM 3.6, if that helps.

Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
I have updated the pack with the updated Brawl Samus stuff, I have also updated the first post and removed the very annoying preview images that removed urls and gave me a headache.

In other news, I released the Sensible ASL Pack, which gives plenty of sensible options for the Alternate Stage Loader, nothing crappy. Plus all the Z+A alts are legal reskins of your favourite competitive stages. There is a Dolphin HD version and you should use it! This will eventually end up in what is my finalized pack, depending on what sort of stages are released in the future.

Last edited:

Cynapse

Smash Ace
At this point I'm debating just redownloading the whole damn thing after so many patches. Sheesh.

Also I have menu assets for Dedede and classic Wario lined up and working nicely. Would you like me to cook up a patch or have you already got them on standby?

Top Bottom