• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Small Hands, Big Problems

Hot Toddy

Smash Cadet
Hi again everyone. Before I switched to Puff one of my biggest problems were my small hands. I had a hard time trying to use faster characters, as it required me to stretch my hands out more and use more exaggerated wrist motions. This caused me problems, especially for when I tried Fox/Falco/Falcon. Lately I've been wanting to pick a spacie back up and run it through the lab for a while, but I have already done that in the past (used Falco for most of my time playing and never even mastered doubleshine) that ended in failure. I also still have the annoying tendency to use Z for aerials and to l-cancel which sometime causes me to freeze up in my shield, miss an l-cancel, or accidentally grab when using Fox/Falco/Falcon/Pikachu. Also, please understand as I've gotten too used to Jiggs LOL. ANY help/tips are very appreciated. Thanks! :kirby:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Hmm these could be a problem they should make smaller controllers.So a jig main OK so I suggest using her gimps as a start and when you get more into a top stance start practiceing top stuff with Jigs or just ask Hbox if you have twitter of something

Hot Toddy

Smash Cadet
Hmm these could be a problem they should make smaller controllers.So a jig main OK so I suggest using her gimps as a start and when you get more into a top stance start practiceing top stuff with Jigs or just ask Hbox if you have twitter of something
Well the problem is that I can use Jiggs fine but I'm trying to pick up a different character because I'm not having enough fun playing jiggs. I've been wanting to pick up a spacie

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Well the problem is that I can use Jiggs fine but I'm trying to pick up a different character because I'm not having enough fun playing jiggs. I've been wanting to pick up a spacie
Ah I see OK hmm I could suggest YL as a second because he dosent take as much time as a space animal would.Space animals practice multie shine,edge guard and lazers YL:Bombs and Boomerang plus his juggle game.Marth might be a good choice but he needs to be practiced I suggest watching Fox/Falco,Math and YL vids if any of these suggestions fit you

Last edited:

Hot Toddy

Smash Cadet
Ah I see OK hmm I could suggest YL as a second because he dosent take as much time as a space animal would.Space animals practice multie shine,edge guard and lazers YL:Bombs and Boomerang plus his juggle game.Marth might be a good choice but he needs to be practiced I suggest watching Fox/Falco,Math and YL vids if any of these suggestions fit you
Oh trust me I've watched plenty of spacies videos
Marth is my type of character
YL I have a problem with since Z uses his hookshot
Any other suggestions?

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Oh trust me I've watched plenty of spacies videos
Marth is my type of character
YL I have a problem with since Z uses his hookshot
Any other suggestions?
Hmmm Mewtwo he dosent really need anything except a perfect teleport

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Eh
I stop at YL
Don't really want to secondany any characters that are too bad and hard to play
Mewtwo isn't actually bad but his weight is the problem plus he's not even hard but ok

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Seems pretty bad to me
And most people
He has a good recovery but that's really it
*facepalm*just because people say so dosent mean he is.Explain how neo toke second at mlg2004 with roy

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
maybe try claw? that's considered poor for hands by default but you should be able to reach everything without doing anything ridiculous.
*facepalm*just because people say so dosent mean he is.Explain how neo toke second at mlg2004 with roy
he said no. as a side note, everything else you said is wrong.

Last edited:

Hot Toddy

Smash Cadet
maybe try claw? that's considered poor for hands by default but you should be able to reach everything without doing anything ridiculous.

Which style of claw? Colbol claw? Javi claw? Peach player claw?

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769

First of all ant my fault after I said he continued and stop being mean just because I believe Mewtwo is good and don't be the guy who comes in and say your wrong

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
i don't think i can really give you an answer; just play around with the different styles until you find something that works. javi claw probably isn't a good idea since i think i heard commentators saying he doesn't grab because of pains. the source wasn't specified though.
First of all ant my fault after I said he continued and stop being mean just because I believe Mewtwo is good and don't be the guy who comes in and say your wrong
if you don't want people to reply to what you say then you probably shouldn't be on a message board.

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I couldn't short hop double laser with Fox before so I learned how to claw. What I do is put my index finger on Y and my thumb on B / the C stick, and I switch to a normal grip to press Z (however I should probably learn to use my middle finger for Z to make shine grabs easier). That should be easier if you have small hands, and I find it doesn't hurt as long as you keep a loose grip on the controller.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
I wouldn't use Javi claw for the reasons Comet7 Comet7 suggested, and colbol claw is relatively unexplored and looks like it would be uncomfortable for the small handed. If the problem is with your right hand (I can't imagine its with the left hand), then peach claw is probably the way to go. It will make some things harder (like wave dashing), but if you have problems with standard grip then its probably your best bet. And as a bonus you'll probably use z for aerials less because switching grips will likely give you a clean slate in terms of bad habits.

On the topic of using z, I don't even have my finger on the z button unless I'm going for a grab (I just put index on R), maybe you could try holding the controller like that to force yourself out of the habit? Idk. It wouldn't fix the small hands problem though.

I also switched from puff to a spacie (falco), good luck. Be aware of the differences between falcons and puff's jumps. When I first made the switch, I always found myself facing in the wrong direction.

AscendantAquila

Smash Cadet
How small exactly are your hands? I don't have that big of hands (7 inches from base of palm to tip of middle finger) and have never personally had problems with awkward hand positions. That being said, if you can figure out how to claw without causing pain (I never could, I exclusively claw for edgeguards) or if it's more comfortable than playing normally, then go for it as it's probably more optimal than standard due to being able to get full aerial drift + frame perfect full hop aerials as well as being easier to get frame perfect shffls.

Top Bottom