• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Small Fun facts

Tristan_win

Not dead.
My internet was down this morning for a bit so I decide to test what was the fastest attack from the ledge and which one would strike the farthest.

Note: I used my cell phone stopwatch at ¼ speeds to get the speed results. I also used the arrows on the side of FD to measure distance.

Test
Below 100 damage attack from ledge
Above 100 damage attack from ledge
Jump from ledge into Dair as soon as possible.

The results will be organized in order of which is best in that field

Speed Results
1.Below 100
2.Jump from ledge into Dair
3.Above 100 damage

Striking distance – This one was surprising
1.Above 100 damage
2.Below 100 damage
3.Jump from the ledge into Dair

That’s right, even though it looks like the above 100 damage attack from the ledge shouldn’t hit as far as the below 100 it does. There seem to be a huge invisible hit box all around her fist, however unlike the below 100 it doesn’t hit everything from the edge and onward but instead leaves a huge gap right behind Zamus when she stands up to attack.

Edit: By the way when you use the dtilt and hit someone with the tip or foot part in general of the attack they will be shot directly upward, meanwhile if she hit someone with the shin to body they will be shot up and away at what I guess would be a 45 degree angle.

Doval

Smash Lord
Why D-air? Why not up-air, or f-air, or n-air, which have more range, can be used as soon as you jump (as opposed to having to wait 'til you clear the edge) and don't leave you wide open afterwards? It's not even a particularly powerful attack.

While we're throwing out random info, her neutral and upwards-aimed f-tilt do the same damage and knockback, but aimed downwards hits harder (9% vs 6%) and noticeably farther.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Why D-air? Why not up-air, or f-air, or n-air, which have more range, can be used as soon as you jump (as opposed to having to wait 'til you clear the edge) and don't leave you wide open afterwards? It's not even a particularly powerful attack.

While we're throwing out random info, her neutral and upwards-aimed f-tilt do the same damage and knockback, but aimed downwards hits harder (9% vs 6%) and noticeably farther.
The reason why I tested the Dair over such thing as the Uair or Fair Doval is because it has a reasonably good invisible hit box upon landing and I had some questions as far as if it was faster or hit far then the other standardized attack from the ledge.

Theses little test help show that it doesn't and I wanted to publish my findings online so anyone whom might have similar ideas wouldn't have to waste a good 10 minutes or so testing in the future.

Frankly, I'm surprise anyone even replied to this as it is barely note worthily information. I just post it in hopes to help raise the general knowledge about Zamus in the community a bit.

Edit: Yeah I know about the whole lower ftilt doing more damage but did you know it also trips more often in the lower percentages? (I've actually made a completely separate thread on Zamus ftilts like a month or so ago.)

Oh and Tristan I’ve seen a good number of your own threads/post and I have to say I don’t wish to “stick together” with someone like yourself as you constantly make poor arguments in your border lining troll threads and when you do post in someone else thread most of the time I highly dislike what you say.

Sorry for being such a *** hole but I think I’m not the only one who doesn’t really like you here.

Garde

Smash Ace
Were you testing the jump to d-air based off of dropping from the ledge and THEN jumping, or from jumping directly from hanging on to the ledge?

D-air doesn't really seem like a useful tool in this situation at all (either of the ones I listed). Dropping from the ledge to midair jump to up-air is generally a much safer idea (as you can hit through the floor with it), and doing an f-air is usually pretty safe if you want to land on stage, haven't tried n-air because it's hit box isn't to friendly for traveling upward (since it's slanted downward, you'd have to throw it out later to hit someone in front of you as you're rising from beneath the ledge).

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Were you testing the jump to d-air based off of dropping from the ledge and THEN jumping, or from jumping directly from hanging on to the ledge?

D-air doesn't really seem like a useful tool in this situation at all (either of the ones I listed). Dropping from the ledge to midair jump to up-air is generally a much safer idea (as you can hit through the floor with it), and doing an f-air is usually pretty safe if you want to land on stage, haven't tried n-air because it's hit box isn't to friendly for traveling upward (since it's slanted downward, you'd have to throw it out later to hit someone in front of you as you're rising from beneath the ledge).
I'm talking about jumping directly off from the ledge Garde and it does have a use.

You see when you’ve tether hanging off of the side of the course (which I personally do most of the time after killing someone) and if your like myself are using the control scheme where the C-stick set to specials you can quickly raise yourself up and then if you continue to hold the stick in any directly immediately do a jump from ledge. This is extremely quick and requires only one quite tilt of a stick into a quick Dair.

In this testing my goal was to see the properties of the Dair compared to the normal attacks from the ledge in terms of speed and reach if the Dair was done ASAP (Your barely on the stage if done correctly.)

…I might have been for the most part wrong about the Dair as far as being faster but even so it still has it’s uses because unlike the fair, nair, and uair this is greatly effective at knocking your opponent away even at the low percentages. It’s also the only aerial that can hit an opponent close to the ledge from a ledge jump.

This is a good and quick strategy that is difficult to block if not expected and is hard to punish if you hit.

Garde

Smash Ace
F-air, up-air, and n-air can all hit people from ledge jumps that are near the ledge, it's a tactic that's been used since SSB64, before you could actually perform a jump while hanging on the ledge. Also, you can drop from a ledge, wall jump (provided the stage has a wall under the ledge) to turn yourself around, and then midair jump towards the stage (if you do this properly, you will see only the first part of a wall jump and immediately go towards the stage with your back facing it) immediately to result in b-airs from hanging on the ledge as well while you are still slightly below the stage.

I have a feeling that there's a special feature when you set the C-stick to special that it basically performs the ledge jumping for you (where you drop from the ledge and instantly midair jump, which allows you to perform attacks and air dodge the instant you leave the ledge, as opposed to if you pressed the jump button while holding onto the ledge to launch yourself above stage). Also, when you tether onto a ledge, you're not required to hold on to it for a set amount of time before performing any action (which is the way it normally works if you just grab on normally, something like half a second before you can perform any action, including dropping).

The fact that you can control the height of your ledge dropped jumps means that you can get aerial attacks as though had a SH like Wolf's when you're on the ledge, which is incredibly useful. Wasting that chance for a laggy air move like d-air, which keeps you stationary for a while before going active and then has a lot of landing lag, does not make sense, regardless of its reach. F-air, when you DI properly, can travel just as much distance as the d-air's hitbox and has good knockback (and leads into combos at low % via dash attacks), and it comes out a lot faster and has a lot less lag. If you provide a video to show how this is useful, I'd be grateful, because your explanation is not convincing me in the slightest.

Top Bottom