• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Small Amiibo Addition?

Bralef

Smash Cadet
I've noticed that Amiibo can only be used in offline Smash mode. I suppose each of the other modes has some kind of justification for not allowing Amiibo: Online with Friends would require its own mode, the Amiibo presumably have no AI for Master Hand/Fortress, Event Matches, etc.

Well, first of all, I hope that at least some of these problems are ironed out in further patches by adding better AI, additional game modes, etc. But even if we assume that Nintendo never plans to add anything like that, I propose a small additional feature that would allow Amiibo to be used occasionally in Classic Mode:

Let the player scan an Amiibo when they're required to choose an ally. You know, when you move into a team battle and the game has you pick out some allies from the fighters you've beaten so far? What if you could, in addition to choosing from them, scan any Amiibo you might have, and let them fight with you, too? This obviously wouldn't have any problems with AI or anything, as it would only be possible when you'd normally have CPUs on your team anyway.

Is that a reasonable idea?

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
I've noticed that Amiibo can only be used in offline Smash mode. I suppose each of the other modes has some kind of justification for not allowing Amiibo: Online with Friends would require its own mode, the Amiibo presumably have no AI for Master Hand/Fortress, Event Matches, etc.

Well, first of all, I hope that at least some of these problems are ironed out in further patches by adding better AI, additional game modes, etc. But even if we assume that Nintendo never plans to add anything like that, I propose a small additional feature that would allow Amiibo to be used occasionally in Classic Mode:

Let the player scan an Amiibo when they're required to choose an ally. You know, when you move into a team battle and the game has you pick out some allies from the fighters you've beaten so far? What if you could, in addition to choosing from them, scan any Amiibo you might have, and let them fight with you, too? This obviously wouldn't have any problems with AI or anything, as it would only be possible when you'd normally have CPUs on your team anyway.

Possible, but practically useless.

I'd like to use my Amiibo online. "With anyone > Amiibo" then choose between "1v1" And "Team Amiibo" Where you and your Amiibo team against an online player and their Amiibo.

ShasOkais

Smash Rookie

I'll agree its a reasonable idea, and one I brushed upon myself. However, after examining the Amiibos, I found two main reasons not to allow them in events/classic/all-star. Firstly, if you could, this would be less incentive to play with friends/family, and Nintendo is strongly in favor of playing with both friends and family. Secondly, Amiibos themselves gain a buff based on their current level, and this cannot currently be disabled. With that in mind, your Amiibo would almost always be a better ally to you in Classic than an actual player. And this once again touches on the first reason. Since it would be better, why would you ever team up with a friend instead?

Just my thoughts on the topic. No offense was intended.

Edit, forgot about your question about the online part. Sorry. But from what I can tell, its the same reason you can't use Mii Fighters online. Since both show a customized name, without any filtering. And both constantly have their special moves equipped, regardless of rules. Technically they could issue an update that would allow it, and as long as there is a name filter when connecting, everything should be fine. However, this would be a lot of work, and would require an update in order to work. Also, it is fairly unlikely at the moment, since Nintendo seems to have its hands full with adding Amiibo functionality to 3DS.

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I really wish I could play Classic and All Star with my amibos, but considering at how much power they have compared to a normal AI, it is no wonder that you can't use them.

yogo540

Smash Rookie
I wish their was an Amiibo-only online mode, or at least a Team battle with Amiibo.

It would be fun to train your Amiibo, then fight alongside them against someone else and their Amiibo.

Top Bottom